So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

4 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Graham Potter would be way out of our league.  And Nathan Jones?  The argument that some put forward against PW is that Derby is a far bigger club than Rotherham.  He’s only succeeded at Luton and failed at both Stoke and Southampton so surely the same argument?

And Warnock? More promotions than you can shake a stick at. 

11 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Graham Potter would be way out of our league.  And Nathan Jones?  The argument that some put forward against PW is that Derby is a far bigger club than Rotherham.  He’s only succeeded at Luton and failed at both Stoke and Southampton so surely the same argument?

Exactly and if you have listened to Mark O'Brien's recent Under the Cosh podcast appearance his treatment of players he doesn't want leaves a lot to be desired. 

4 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

Exactly and if you have listened to Mark O'Brien's recent Under the Cosh podcast appearance his treatment of players he doesn't want leaves a lot to be desired. 

Some managers can step up to a bigger club, some can't. We can't assume everyone would flounder here.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And Warnock? More promotions than you can shake a stick at. 

Warnock is available and would no doubt jump at the chance.  He’d be short term and one of the arguments against PW is his lack of interest in the academy, and I wouldn’t expect this to change with Warnock.

If we did give PW the boot, either during or at the end of this season if we don’t go up, the next appointment is critical and would depend on the strategy and direction David Clowes wants to go.  If it’s promotion at all costs, then go for a Warnock type, if it’s rebuild the footballing side from academy up, it’s a Cough type.  Either way, expect half the fan base to ecstatic and the other half reaching for sharp implements.

9 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Warnock is available and would no doubt jump at the chance.  He’d be short term and one of the arguments against PW is his lack of interest in the academy, and I wouldn’t expect this to change with Warnock.

If we did give PW the boot, either during or at the end of this season if we don’t go up, the next appointment is critical and would depend on the strategy and direction David Clowes wants to go.  If it’s promotion at all costs, then go for a Warnock type, if it’s rebuild the footballing side from academy up, it’s a Cough type.  Either way, expect half the fan base to ecstatic and the other half reaching for sharp implements.

image.thumb.png.f78fc8b5c728a778e75e7e0e2976afaf.png

image.thumb.png.6e28a7bf5b6f8e790c2b4bced498565f.png

24 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

37 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Completely agree. I've just read Mark O'Brien's book, Game of Two Hearts. He comes across as a really genuine bloke. He speaks really well about his time at Derby and how Nigel Clough and the club treated him. He talks in similar vein about his career at Newport and the managers and coaches there. There is just one person he doesn't speak well of and that's Nathan Jones at Luton; though Mick Hartford understood and tried to help him. Jones didn't want him there and left him out of the team and just blanked him until he became desperate to leave and was thankful when Newport came and rescued him before he gave up on the game. With his behaviour at Stoke and Southampton and Mark O'Brien's experience he sounds risky for any club in my opinion.

1 hour ago, RAM1966 said:

OMG - When was that, I pop down on 42 mins to get a pie, it must have been then....  Get real, it was boring s****, the odd breakaway and a goal, it was never like watching Barcelona.......

I mean no it isn’t Barcelona but Fxck me it looks like a different sport compared to what we’re watching now. 

a few weeks before he was sacked this 

Edited by IlsonDerby

56 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I mean no it isn’t Barcelona but Fxck me it looks like a different sport compared to what we’re watching now. 

a few weeks before he was sacked this 

Gary Johnson, the yeovil manager said after the game

" we were up against one of the best footballing sides in the division. At least, that's what we have to believe or we're right in trouble"......

19 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Bolton manager?

Correct me if I'm wrong but we paid compensation to Rotherham for Warne plus 3 of his backroom staff too?

Seems odd that we could afford that but not the equivalent from another club.

Also reinforces that if we couldn't afford this at that point then its unlikely we bullet Warne and his backroom staff then replace with another manager and assistants anytime soon 

I think Warne and his staff were on a rolling one year contract with Rotherham. To pull a number out of the air that may be £250k compensation, for a more experienced group with three years to pay up that may be closer to £1 million - obviously room for negotiation but I think Rotherham weren't going to stand in Warne's way whereas another club may have played hardball and dragged the process out.

Edited by NOTSA74

4 hours ago, NOTSA74 said:

I think Warne and his staff were on a rolling one year contract with Rotherham. To pull a number out of the air that may be £250k compensation, for a more experienced group with three years to pay up that may be closer to £1 million - obviously room for negotiation but I think Rotherham weren't going to stand in Warne's way whereas another club may have played hardball and dragged the process out.

So about the same cost to sack Warne & staff as Clarke-Harris might have cost us?