Should we be patient? If so, how does it improve?

If Warne is allowed to persist in playing 3 at the back and eventually the players click,and it starts working,it might be too late to turn the season round,we start all over again in league 1 next season with a mainly new squad of players doing exactly the same again.for me clowes needs to sit Warne down for a lengthy chat to persuade him to change before it's too late.clowes must be seeing the same as the rest of us,and must give him a warning,change or walk

16 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

warne has told us how he speaks to potential recruits when they tour the club. It’s no wonder that we struggle to recruit good players - or that we lose them 

beginning to think the way out of this league is to revert to the lampard /rooney model. At least they (and even LR) had pulling power. Who is the next Vincent Kompany

It may well be the model, but I don't think we are going to deploy it.  

16 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

If Warne is allowed to persist in playing 3 at the back and eventually the players click,and it starts working,it might be too late to turn the season round,we start all over again in league 1 next season with a mainly new squad of players doing exactly the same again.for me clowes needs to sit Warne down for a lengthy chat to persuade him to change before it's too late.clowes must be seeing the same as the rest of us,and must give him a warning,change or walk

Given our recent history I would say having an owner that tells the manager what to do is something we really dont want.

35 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Mark players, not zones.

One of the big reasons I don't like a back 3 in modern football, is that the majority of teams play some form of one up front.  From memory all of Wigan, Blackpool and Oxford have so far.  So if you're man-marking, you end up either having your wingbacks picking up their wide players, leaving 3 centre halves marking one striker.  Or your wider centre halves end up picking up their wide players (which they probably aren't suited to dealing with, see Cashin), and then you've got 3 man markers picking up their front 3, and any midfielder runners end up completely free, especially with a midfield like ours.

A back 3 made much more sense when most teams played 2 up front, and you could man-mark them both and still have a spare man in behind.

25 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

One of the big reasons I don't like a back 3 in modern football, is that the majority of teams play some form of one up front.  From memory all of Wigan, Blackpool and Oxford have so far.  So if you're man-marking, you end up either having your wingbacks picking up their wide players, leaving 3 centre halves marking one striker.  Or your wider centre halves end up picking up their wide players (which they probably aren't suited to dealing with, see Cashin), and then you've got 3 man markers picking up their front 3, and any midfielder runners end up completely free, especially with a midfield like ours.

A back 3 made much more sense when most teams played 2 up front, and you could man-mark them both and still have a spare man in behind.

All true. Oxford's 2 goals saw Harris (#9) getting where he wanted to be without having a Derby player anywhere near him. Almost as if he had been invisible, nobody aware of where a good goal scorer was. Shouldn't happen. 

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

We've had a poor start to the season no question.

What many of the recent posts show though is Mel was actually pretty patient and restrained compared to the majority of fans on here.

Mel also appointed relatively well you could say. 😄 Not a great start from DC?

1 minute ago, Kathcairns said:

We will agree to differ, didnt do him much good though did it, well suppose he got 2 good payoffs.😊

And lost us the best management pairing in Mac & Simmo we've had since Clough and Taylor. All because of Mel's ego.

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

Given our recent history I would say having an owner that tells the manager what to do is something we really dont want.

I didn't say tell,I said persuade.nothing to lose if warne spits his dummy out,we cannot carry on as we are

4 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Genuinely think Warne’s time is up. Whether it’s today or in 5 matches time. 

The big questions are who do we bring in to replace him and how good is this squad?

Don't know who but someone with higher league experience either as manager or player. Warne is far too parochial.

The squad isn't too bad we have decent cover for most positions, it's getting them to play football well, as a team. 

25 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Genuinely think Warne’s time is up. Whether it’s today or in 5 matches time. 

The big questions are who do we bring in to replace him and how good is this squad?

OK, but think about it for a second.

Which manager will want to come in and work with a squad that has been built on the premise of short term recruitment by two coaches with extremely differing styles?

Which manager will want to come in and work with little to no flexibility and freedom in the transfer market, having seen most if not all of the budget swallowed up on putting together and retaining the existing group of players?

Which manager will want to come in and work with a squad whose make-up is heavily skewed towards experienced players where age and physical condition is not on their side?

Which manager will want to come in to lift morale and right the ship when pre-season is long gone and time on the training ground is more limited?

Which manager will want to come in and reverse this worrying lurch in form and standards?

Which manager will come in and like the squad he is inheriting and not see it as a weight holding us down?

In the circumstances, the Derby job looks the most unattractive it has done in years, so the questions you are asking do not have simple and clear answers.

Edited by Jourdan

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

OK, but think about it for a second.

Which manager will want to come in and work with a squad that has been built on the premise of short term recruitment by two coaches with extremely differing styles?

Which manager will want to come in and work with little to no flexibility and freedom in the transfer market, having seen most if not all of the budget swallowed up on putting together and retaining the existing group of players?

Which manager will want to come in and work with a squad whose make-up is heavily skewed towards experienced players where age and physical condition is not on their side?

Which manager will want to come in to lift morale and right the ship when pre-season is long gone and time on the training ground is more limited?

Which manager will want to come in and reverse this worrying lurch in form and standards?

Which manager will come in and like the squad he is inheriting and not see it as a weight holding us down?

In the circumstances, the Derby job looks the most unattractive it has done in years, so the questions you are asking do not have simple and clear answers.

Fair enough questions but unless Clowes comes out and dampens expectations and stands by Warne ala GSE style then I can’t see how Warne stays serving up his current dish.

1 minute ago, TomTom92 said:

Fair enough questions but unless Clowes comes out and dampens expectations and stands by Warne ala GSE style then I can’t see how Warne stays serving up his current dish.

Well he has given Warne a four year contract.

Why does he have to come out and do or say anything publicly?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

The answer is always the manager who knows what a big club Derby are?

I think most if not all managers know what a big club Derby are.

However if you are looking at things at the moment, would it look like an enticing and attractive job to walk into?