Is Warne living on borrowed time?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

When did he switch from 4-4-2? I seem to remember someone posting/tweeting that he said that was how he preferred to play.

I've grouped similar formations together (such as 4141, 451 and 433), based on Transfermarkt and league only:

16/17
4231 - 11
442 - 10
433 - 7

17/18
442 - 26
433 - 16
4231 - 3
352 - 1

18/19
433 - 36
4231 - 6
442 - 2
352 - 2

19/20
442 - 18
433 - 11
4231 - 6
352 - 1

20/21
352 - 26
433 - 11
442 - 3
361 - 3
3421 - 2
4231 - 1

21/22
352 - 42
3421 - 3
3412 - 1

22/23
352 - 10

14 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

I remember him playing there Plymouth away last season where he scored.

Also, in Warne's 5-3-2 there is nowhere else to get him in the team apart from maybe at RWB. We have Ward there now though and NML isn't really goood enough defensivly to play that 

Is it a 5-3-2? Isn't it 3-5-3? would it be that difficult to just change from two strikers and a CAM to one striker and two wingers?

Watched his pre match interview.

He says that the game didn't look as bad on replay. I thought we looked good 2nd half and gave Blackpool a game of it. 1st half I disagree with him. Crowd or no crowd it was absolutely awful to watch. Booing didn't help of course. It was still dreadful, the players can't defend that pile of misery.

Edited by SSD

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Nice to see Klopp has the same magnetism as Warne in being able to attract good players to his club.

Warnes obviously in good company then. 

Too early to say whether Klopp or Warne have attracted good players to their clubs. How they have performed in the past is no guarantee for the future, especially if they aren't going to be played to their strengths, or current physical abilities. I have less doubts about Klopp in truth.

26 minutes ago, SSD said:

Watched his pre match interview.

He says that the game didn't look as bad on replay. I thought we looked good 2nd half and gave Blackpool a game of it. 1st half I disagree with him. Crowd or no crowd it was absolutely awful to watch. Booing didn't help of course. It was still dreadful, the players can't defend that pile of misery.

I listened to it. Saying on second watch “it wasn’t as horrific as it felt at the time”, hardly a defence of the performance. He got a reaction second half, but collectively we weren’t at it including himself and coaching staff getting a couple of things wrong. 

He also clarified his comments post match. Explained it well, we should all move on. He also said we’re actively trying to address all the gaps in the team but it’s hard, they have to be affordable, available and better than what we have. Went into detail about one manager saying we can have this striker we’re interested in but only when he can bring two strikers in, one of those strikers Warne knows is wanted by another club. Highlighting how challenging the market is. He confirmed The gaps are we need a striker to help replace Didzy’s goals and we need a midfielder to replace Knighty’s energy. He also said we’re lacking pace and we desperately need Barkhuizen and Sibley back. He’s saying the same things we are saying, he’s not oblivious of the gaps and he’s playing his hand as best he can.

Reading between the lines, I don’t think he’s got much if any money to use as transfer fees. It does again raise the question on the budget/level of restrictions.

Thought it was balanced. Got no hint squad is unhappy and everyone is as focused as they can be on the next game as you would expect. 

16 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

His RD presser on the Rams Daily podcast is definitely of a lower tone. He sounded somewhat resigned when discussing the interest in players by other clubs. Maybe outgoings sooner than we think?

I'm wondering if he's thinking that his current budget is less than what he believed it might be in May?

He's not sounding as upbeat as he usually is, which at this stage of the season is concerning.

35 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Mount 

Bellingham

Colwill

Enzo

Lavia 

Ambrabat 

Caicedo

But yes it's only Warne who has difficulties attracting good players to their club. 

Probably because Liverpool is too big a club for Klopp to manage. 

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

11 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I'm wondering if he's thinking that his current budget is less than what he believed it might be in May?

He's not sounding as upbeat as he usually is, which at this stage of the season is concerning.

I’d be staggered if DC hadn’t been up front with him about available budget. As others have alluded to, I suspect the agreed business plan is perhaps more restrictive than any of us truly know.

25 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

More likely he's been turned down too many times, and it looks like he might lose some of the current squad! 

7 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

I’d be staggered if DC hadn’t been up front with him about available budget. As others have alluded to, I suspect the agreed business plan is perhaps more restrictive than any of us truly know.

I'm pretty sure it is.

I'm also taking an educated guess "a good budget" equates to "ballpark top 6 in the division" and very much not "blow everyone out the water"

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm pretty sure it is.

I'm also taking an educated guess "a good budget" equates to "ballpark top 6 in the division" and very much not "blow everyone out the water"

So it's still all about splashing cash about then? I still think he can't attract the players he wants, and the ones that might come he doesn't want!

41 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I listened to it. Saying on second watch “it wasn’t as horrific as it felt at the time”, hardly a defence of the performance. He got a reaction second half, but collectively we weren’t at it including himself and coaching staff getting a couple of things wrong. 

He also clarified his comments post match. Explained it well, we should all move on. He also said we’re actively trying to address all the gaps in the team but it’s hard, they have to be affordable, available and better than what we have. Went into detail about one manager saying we can have this striker we’re interested in but only when he can bring two strikers in, one of those strikers Warne knows is wanted by another club. Highlighting how challenging the market is. He confirmed The gaps are we need a striker to help replace Didzy’s goals and we need a midfielder to replace Knighty’s energy. He also said we’re lacking pace and we desperately need Barkhuizen and Sibley back. He’s saying the same things we are saying, he’s not oblivious of the gaps and he’s playing his hand as best he can.

Reading between the lines, I don’t think he’s got much if any money to use as transfer fees. It does again raise the question on the budget/level of restrictions.

Thought it was balanced. Got no hint squad is unhappy and everyone is as focused as they can be on the next game as you would expect. 

Post match, Warne said "I think it's obvious... I feel like... possibly a couple of my players have had their heads turned", followed by "I feel like there's... they think there's a potential move or something. I don't know. It just feels... feels a bit strange to me really".Ed Dawes asked a second follow up question with Warne responding with "I do understand the human psychology of it all that it can have a feel and it might not happen for the players themselves, but it can happen the players around them"

It also got missed but he also said "I didn't have a lot more to change in the middle of the park". Well, other than giving Thompson a start... He stated players were doing 10-20% more running on the Saturday, so it confuses me why just a few days later our 3 man midfield is made up of players who played the full 90 (105) just a few days before whene there's an energetic youngster waiting to be given a chance to prove himself.

Warne may have been a fitness coach in the past, but his management of players' fitness levels is shambolic. It was also clear to everyone 60 minutes into the Wigan game that Mendez-Laing needed a rest. Instead, he was left on for a further 30 minutes, having played 97 in total. It may only be the 2 games which he misses (this time), but it's a key part of our season when our only other match fit attacking player is Collins. The same mistake was made time and time again last season which is why so many players were exhausted by the end of the campaign.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

So it's still all about splashing cash about then? I still think he can't attract the players he wants, and the ones that might come he doesn't want!

more about a lack of financial flexibility in the business plan/budget. In football nothing is more attractive than money and not wanting players other clubs also don't want perhaps isn't the alarm bell you think it is.

Loan move wise things won't happen til later he's already said, there's just no value in the market right now and that'll change when those clubs go into "we need to find a club for X to be loaned to now" mode.

Was going to make a new thread on this but I think it slides in here ok.

I do wonder whether we are in the midst of what might be a difficult few months for both Clowes and Warne, I nearly went with the idea that this might be a ‘second difficult season but I’m reluctant to go too hyperbolic on this. But it’s been a significant summer for both, first for Clowes he’s tried to put his mark on the club with the colours that represent the clubs values (for lack of a better term, his own ‘Derby way’) and has made a significant decision in bringing in his own head of the Academy. These are the first steps of what we can consider to be the Clowes era. For Warne, he now has the man he wanted as his Head of Recruitment through the door, he’s starting the season with a new style of play and bringing in his own sheds for the first time. Again it’s the beginning of what we consider to be Warne’s era. 

The point being, there’s been a few significant appointments and a shift in the identity of the club both from Clowes and Warne and…are we experiencing some teething problems? With recruitment, this was our first significant window since Cocu and have we missed out on players because all our ducks weren’t in a row? With the valuations of Knight and Bird that our academy maybe wasn’t quite in the shape that it should have been for Cat A? Communication problems on the pitch with a new style of play? Fozzy’s testimonial maybe not being what it could be? Kit launches being off etc etc. Not moaning btw, it is what it is in my book, it’s just a lot of significant changes are happening and once and it might take a few more weeks before we see real progress on all fronts.

Dunno, just something I’ve been thinking about since Tuesday, not saying I’m right or wrong.