Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

I wonder what Birds motivations could be, and that’s just to try an understand all the possibilities from his angle.

Hull = middle of the road Champ team. Is that so much better than a promotion chasing L1 team with sell out crowds ?

Wages .. that’s the unknown I reckon 

Likes Liam Vs Gets on pretty well with Warne

Relocation and the adventure and moving your career on .. I am dubious that Hull offers that much 

So if he wants to go then it has to be wages .. he’s going to get noticed a least as much here as their 

Can we offer a decent enough new contract that suits everyone ? 

Does he like it here or is he agitating for a move ? 

There really is so much we just don’t know. Anyway, not getting in to valuations in this market. He’s a valuable player to the team and difficult to replace, rather than simply a paper asset figure. 

please Max .. sign a new deal ! 

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Disappointed that Wildsmith is only hoping for promotion towards the end of the season. Whatever happened to promoted by Christmas? 😀

It’s because we haven’t signed another striker yet. Once that happens there’s a chance the EFL may promote us without having to play the games.

39 minutes ago, jono said:

I wonder what Birds motivations could be, and that’s just to try an understand all the possibilities from his angle.

Hull = middle of the road Champ team. Is that so much better than a promotion chasing L1 team with sell out crowds ?

Relocation and the adventure and moving your career on .. I am dubious that Hull offers that much 

So if he wants to go then it has to be wages .. he’s going to get noticed a least as much here as their 

There really is so much we just don’t know. Anyway, not getting in to valuations in this market. He’s a valuable player to the team and difficult to replace, rather than simply a paper asset figure. 

You didn't include style of play in the options. If he goes it may be simply wages, but Rosenior's way of playing might be more enjoyable and helpful to his career progression, than how Warne chooses to play. Bird is imo our best footballer.  

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

You didn't include style of play in the options. If he goes it may be simply wages, but Rosenior's way of playing might be more enjoyable and helpful to his career progression, than how Warne chooses to play. Bird is imo our best footballer.  

Conversely, playing further forward with more freedom, and potentially scoring more goals, could be more helpful to his career progression.

6 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

It’s a good point, but I can’t help feeling Max will have enjoyed his pre season runouts higher up the pitch ? He’s definitely looked more influential. I’d agree he is one of our better footballers and is likely only to improve. It would be a nasty blow if he went

Just now, Srg said:

Conversely, playing further forward with more freedom, and potentially scoring more goals, could be more helpful to his career progression.

Might be where Hull are going to play him? 

Nobody knows, and it is only my opinion, but if I was a promising, technical 22 year old ballplayer, with a good passing range, and 150 games behind me at one club, I might very well want to look to join a team/coach where my skills might be better used and enhanced.  You will no doubt not agree, and thats fine, but imo Warneball is unlikely to bring the best out of Max.

Just now, i-Ram said:

Nobody knows, and it is only my opinion, but if I was a promising, technical 22 year old ballplayer, with a good passing range, and 150 games behind me at one club, I might very well want to look to join a team/coach where my skills might be better used and enhanced.  You will no doubt not agree, and thats fine, but imo Warneball is unlikely to bring the best out of Max.

It's ok, your posts are very one track these days. We know what you think.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

And yet in my opinion this pre-season and some of last is the best we've seen of Max Bird.

8 minutes ago, Srg said:

It's ok, your posts are very one track these days. We know what you think.

So yours aren't?

Seem to be a number who don't like my opinion. Thats ok. Doesnt worry me a bit. Stick me on ignore if you dont want to engage.  

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And yet in my opinion this pre-season and some of last is the best we've seen of Max Bird.

He looks fit doesn't he in pre-season. Last season, he carried some injuries, but he being my favourite player at the club I didn't think he had an overly good season personally. Some glimpses of his talent, but he really isn't ideally suited to League 1 scrappy football.

18 minutes ago, caymanram said:

I reckon we should offer him a one year contract extension and increase his money and basically say (as we did with Knight) then if we don’t achieve promotion this season then he is free to leave with our blessings…. For a fee of course.

Why only a one year extension? Bird might think that’s not showing a great deal of faith in him but rather just protecting our investment a little. 

22 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

It's an interesting point. In terms of a footballing education though, I think Bird will have learned a lot from playing under Warne and working on aspects of his game that maybe didn't come so naturally to him before. So on the one hand, yes, his preferred playing style might suit the Rosenior set-up more than Warne's, but at the same time I think he's developed more/widely during the last 12 months and it'll have stood him in good stead.

Warne also indicated in the Sportscene interview that he's fully intending to play Bird further forward and that he sees this as a selling point in terms of hoping to keep him at the club. Might actually be a more attractive prospect for him than how he'd be used at Hull (?)

16 minutes ago, Terry Hennessy said:

On the other side of the coin it makes you wonder what Roseniors' motivations might be in making such a derisory offer for Max. Maybe just to unsettle him ???? If if was Max I'd feel insulted by it....

My guess would be: motivation is to buy a player he rates, working within club financial structures, recognising that he's unlikely to be successful with the first bid anyway (test the water or hope to meet in the middle). You may be right that he's hoping to turn Max Bird's head with the knowledge that Hull want him. I'm not sure how insulted you can be by the news that another club wants to sign you. If there is any insult in terms of the bid, it would surely be a dig at the selling club rather than the player. More likely a mixture of playing hardball with negotiations, downplaying the asset and perhaps indicating a limit to the funds available.

1 hour ago, jono said:

If he goes it will be 100% wages,if you believe what is reported at present he is on 7K a week,Hull are reportedly offering £20-25K a week

Agree with you that Hull is no more than a mid table team and you can say the same in Knight going to Bristol,but its a stepping stone up as it stands and we have no right to think we will get promoted this season in the first place

Even if we do offer a extension to his deal i doubt we can anywhere close to what being put on the table at Hull

12 minutes ago, jameso said:

It's an interesting point. In terms of a footballing education though, I think Bird will have learned a lot from playing under Warne and working on aspects of his game that maybe didn't come so naturally to him before. So on the one hand, yes, his preferred playing style might suit the Rosenior set-up more than Warne's, but at the same time I think he's developed more/widely during the last 12 months and it'll have stood him in good stead.

Warne also indicated in the Sportscene interview that he's fully intending to play Bird further forward and that he sees this as a selling point in terms of hoping to keep him at the club. Might actually be a more attractive prospect for him than how he'd be used at Hull (?)

I too think it is good for his footballing education to have played under Warne, and he will have learnt something from him and his style of play, and similarly from his time with Lampard (brief) and Rooney too. I think Bird looks at his best and is more effective though when playing in a more controlled passing way that Wassall, Cocu and Rosenior offered.

Is another year of Warne going to help his development - no.  The way we have either had to play or chose to play over the last 2 seasons has not played to his strengths. Is another year with Warne going to help Derby - yes. Good player, and it seems to me a fine, committed young man.

He will end up playing somewhere higher than Derby and Hull, and higher than Knight, in the football pyramid.