20/21: Kazim Richards 

19/20: Martin/Waghorn 

18/19: Wilson

17/18: Vydra 

16/17: Ince 

15/16: Martin 

14/15: Martin

13/14: Martin 

What has everyone on this list got in common? Not a single one of the players came off the back of a high scoring season elsewhere. 

Buying a goalscorer doesn’t guarantee goals. That was always the case in the championship, and it’s certainly the same at this level. 

Every season we’ve found a goalscorer we weren’t expecting. This season won’t be any different.

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Here’s a list of our top scorers for the past 10 years: 

22/23: McGoldrick 

21/22: Lawrence 

What has everyone on this list got in common? Not a single one of the players came off the back of a high scoring season elsewhere. 

Buying a goalscorer doesn’t guarantee goals. That was always the case in the championship, and it’s certainly the same at this level. 

Every season we’ve found a goalscorer we weren’t expecting. This season won’t be any different.

Ince, Vydra, Waghorn, Lawrence and Wilson was brought to the club on the premise of good past records - Lawrence, Waghorn and Wilson off the back of loan spells at other clubs. Ince from his Blackpool days and Vydra from his Watford days. 

Martin, Kazim-Richards and McGoldrick were all cheap buys bought in to the club due to necessity. Martin is arguably our best signing of the past 20 years for value. 

I do agree with the premise, though. I think there will be a good season to be had for a Derby forward just purely due to the opportunities afforded to them.

2 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Here’s a list of our top scorers for the past 10 years: 

22/23: McGoldrick 

21/22: Lawrence 

Kazim gets full name recognition … he was a beast so I respect your respect for him. Good call 

Better Than You Wow GIF by BDHCollective

For what it’s worth, here’s my predictions on league goals each member of the current squad will get

Ward 6

Wilson 3

Elder 1

Fossy 1

Nelson 2

Bradley 3

Smith 1

Bird 6

Hourihane 7

Sibs 8

Thommo 2

NML 8

Washington 14

Collo 18

Barks 4 

Hope I haven’t forgotten anyone. That’s a total of 84 which is 17 more than last season and without any new arrivals, which I don’t think will be the case.

I also expect us to concede less than last season.

Think we’re in for a good season. COIYR.

6 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

There’s a reason the likes of Clarke Harris and Didzy gets goals in League one. Defences are league one standard. Arguably we have a champ standard defence, and all our strikers are capable at this level to score double figures against league one defences imo

With all the talk of replacing McGoldrick this is a point that is getting missed.  The defence is stronger and the team more balanced in all areas.  We won’t let many in and I still think we’ll score goals, including more from the defenders.

4 hours ago, Allen said:

For what it’s worth, here’s my predictions on league goals each member of the current squad will get

Ward 6

Wilson 3

Elder 1

Fossy 1

Nelson 2

Bradley 3

Smith 1

Bird 6

Hourihane 7

Sibs 8

Thommo 2

NML 8

Washington 14

Collo 18

Barks 4 

Hope I haven’t forgotten anyone. That’s a total of 84 which is 17 more than last season and without any new arrivals, which I don’t think will be the case.

Very optimistic think its 10 + more than we will get . Sibs won't play much and our 2 strikers won't get 28 goals between them neither will Birdy get 6 !!

Edited by Magicman

Think Warne needs to get all wingbacks and midfielders to one side and challenge them to be involved with 10 goals each.

Demand 10 goals or assists from each of them. Set it as a target. everyone except for the centre backs needs to be creating or scoring ten. 

6 hours ago, Allen said:

Ward 6

Wilson 3

Elder 1

Fossy 1

Nelson 2

Bradley 3

Smith 1

Bird 6

Hourihane 7

Sibs 8

Thommo 2

NML 8

Washington 14

Collo 18

Barks 4 

Cash?

6 hours ago, Allen said:

Ward 6

Wilson 3

Elder 1

Fossy 1

Nelson 2

Bradley 3

Smith 1

Bird 6

Hourihane 7

Sibs 8

Thommo 2

NML 8

Washington 14

Collo 18

Barks 4 

Any chance you can try and predict the games each of them will score in and the minute they’re scored. 

Im not sure how much time you have but it would be great to know whether they were left foot, right foot or headed goals too. 

25 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Think Warne needs to get all wingbacks and midfielders to one side and challenge them to be involved with 10 goals each.

Demand 10 goals or assists from each of them. Set it as a target. everyone except for the centre backs needs to be creating or scoring ten. 

I like it, bit of friendly competition within the squad, he mentioned last season wanting more goals from midfield and we clearly need it. I can see Bird and possibly even Smith chipping in with more, hopefully Sibley gets a run in a forward position and can bag a few too.

Then in true Warne style the winner of the mini competition within the squad gets a commemorative plate and gravy boat with his face on!

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

19 minutes ago, angieram said:

Cash?

He’s setting them all up in his new marauding wide cb role! Found that an interesting comment in Warne’s post match, how he wants Nelson and Cashin to be braver and get forward, think we saw a bit more of it as the game went on against Sheff Utd. Almost mimicking their approach under Wilder.

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He’s setting them all up in his new marauding wide cb role! Found that an interesting comment in Warne’s post match, how he wants Nelson and Cashin to be braver and get forward, think we saw a bit more of it as the game went on against Sheff Utd. Almost mimicking their approach under Wilder.

Thought exactly that. Particularly with Nelson. We seem to be playing with Wilder's overlapping centre banks system

2 hours ago, Magicman said:

Very optimistic think its 10 + more than we will get . Sibs won't play much and our 2 strikers won't get 28 goals between them neither will Birdy get 6 !!

I'm going to stick my neck out and say you might have to sweat a little over this one. The early signs are that Birdie might have more work in the opponents' box this season and if he keeps free of injury I think we're going to see a few more goals from him than we're used to.

2 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

Thought exactly that. Particularly with Nelson. We seem to be playing with Wilder's overlapping centre banks system

It gives me a little more confidence that we can adapt the lwb role to accommodate Fozzy until Elder is fit without losing much defensively and still offering a threat. Him and Cashin can alternate to save Fozzy’s legs, when Cash bombs on Fozzy tucks back in, when Foz goes Cash holds his position. They’re both left footers so the balance in the side is there, not as much pace but it’s still an option and an outlet when you think of the quality delivery Foz can put in. 

1 hour ago, jameso said:

I'm going to stick my neck out and say you might have to sweat a little over this one. The early signs are that Birdie might have more work in the opponents' box this season and if he keeps free of injury I think we're going to see a few more goals from him than we're used to.

Agreed. PW has said a few times he wants Max to shoot more often and I suspect we'll try him in a more advanced role at times - particularly if we sign a proper DM and/or Thomo adjusts to that position (he just looks like a DM to me but apparently he played CAM in his youth and did look tricky in some pre-season games).

Stand by my prediction of 6 goals for Birdy. Think Smith will play CDM (Thommo when needed). Feel Warne wants Max in the opposition half much more than he was last season and with the shackles off, Max will score goals. Also wondering if Warne will make Hourihane captain - if Max stays at Derby I’m sure he will make a great captain one day. Birdy’s a gem of a lad but I often felt the captaincy was a huge ask for someone so relatively young. Now, starting to think I should up that prediction from 6 to 10 😄😄!

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Stand by my prediction of 6 goals for Birdy. Think Smith will play CDM (Thommo when needed). Feel Warne wants Max in the opposition half much more than he was last season and with the shackles off, Max will score goals. Also wondering if Warne will make Hourihane captain - if Max stays at Derby I’m sure he will make a great captain one day. Birdy’s a gem of a lad but I often felt the captaincy was a huge ask for someone so relatively young. Now, starting to think I should up that prediction from 6 to 10 😄😄!

I agree he is playing in a more advanced role but still tends to pass rather than shoot when in the box. Hopefully, he will get greedier ! 

10 hours ago, Allen said:

Ward 6

Wilson 3

Elder 1

Fossy 1

Nelson 2

Bradley 3

Smith 1

Bird 6

Hourihane 7

Sibs 8

Thommo 2

NML 8

Washington 14

Collo 18

Barks 4 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Cash?

Wildsmith?