Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think there’s a misconception that pretty much anyone who has played in a higher league would score hatfuls of goals in League One.

For one, you’re either a finisher or you’re not. Rhodes is, Waghorn and several others on here aren’t (including ones in the current squad).

It’s not something you can coach to someone in their twenties.

We have a few useful forwards but no natural finishers. 

Rhodes has been but whether he still has the desire is open to debate. I’ve not been impressed with him recently but who knows?

Without a Godden or a Ladapo this season I think we’ll really struggle to score enough goals.

Rhodes would be the bare minimum.

Personally, I think we need a CF, a wide player and an attacking midfielder to get the goals we’ll need.

I wonder whether the ins depend on a few outs to balance the wage budget?

no need for a wide player when we're playing wing backs. We already have NML, Barkhuizen and Sibley who can all play wide and only 1 of them can play the 10 role which is what they're more than likely going to be playing this season.

Just because we're interested or even agreed a deal with Rhodes, until an agreement is reached between the 2 clubs he is always going to continue training with them, he is their player, so why wouldn't he? The same as Knight continuing to train with us until a deal was agreed with Bristol City. To think a player stops training all because a team wants them or a deal is close is ridiculous.

It seems that the hold up in the deal is that we're waiting for Huddersfield to sign a striker before letting Rhodes go, it is quite obvious he isn't in Warnock's plans for the season. He may even play in their next friendly, it still doesn't mean a deal isn't close. Collins played for Cardiff in a preseason game a few days before joining us even though it was widely reported we were close to signing him.

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

no need for a wide player when we're playing wing backs. We already have NML, Barkhuizen and Sibley who can all play wide and only 1 of them can play the 10 role which is what they're more than likely going to be playing this season.

Neither Sibley nor Barkhuisen impressed consistently last season and even NML struggled with the number of games he had to play.

I’m not necessarily saying we need a will o’ the wisp winger. Just someone who can stretch play to make room for the less mobile forwards we have.

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Really can't see any of them being regular starters in the wing back system . Potentially Sibley in a 10 . 

Think NML is a terrific winger but neither a wing back or a 10 and Barks is a utility player who can cover but not impact much . 

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Will still be very surprised to see Barkhuizen around come September. Indeed not even sure Mendez Laing is truly a Warne type. Perhaps NML will be useful for him to unleash with 25 minutes to go, knowing he might be able to put it in for at least 15 of those minutes.

6 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

Really can't see any of them being regular starters in the wing back system . Potentially Sibley in a 10 . 

Think NML is a terrific winger but neither a wing back or a 10 and Barks is a utility player who can cover but not impact much . 

I agree, that's why I dont think we need another wide player in as we have 3 for a position we will rarely need and only 1 of those 3 is likely to play in the 10. We could do with another striker, another striker who can play in the 10 and also another attacking mid

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Will still be very surprised to see Barkhuizen around come September. Indeed not even sure Mendez Laing is truly a Warne type. Perhaps NML will be useful for him to unleash with 25 minutes to go, knowing he might be able to put it in for at least 15 of those minutes.

Agreed on Barks but not sure I agree about NML. PW always seems to fuss him on the little video snippets we see and despite NML really tailing off last season, still played lots. I suspect he'll try him more central to see if he's got it but he's an out and out winger for me. He was awesome at the beginning of the season - really fast, really powerful - seemed a level above but then for some reason, just seemed to disappear later in the season.

15 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

If that's the case then every other club in our division will be bankrupt this season. I've had this argument with people before, maybe you were one of them. Lets be clear, the EFL would not have agreed to a business plan that was based us making a loss. I'd be prepared to bet my money on that. We know that last season's business plan was based on conservative income assumptions which were comfortably exceeded and we also know that the EFL were very happy with the prudence we showed, hence a loosening of the controls in place for this season  

I suspect you’re right but while every other club won’t go bankrupt there will be financial / regulatory difficulties for more than a handful, in both Champ and L1. I also think that DCFC will not be one of them ! 

I think we will mix it up using both a 343 and a 352/3412 next season. At times playing with two centre fowards whilst on other occasions playing with inside fowards (which for me would get the best of NML). 

Which ever formation we use we need more attacking additions with a goal scoring number 9 being the priority. Is Rhodes ideal? No. But I do think he would do a job in finding the back of the net.

4 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Well we can suspend further discussion on this but remember it for when the accounts are published. Then we will see. If I am proved wrong I will be happy to say so

Even if academy expenditure was £0, we'd be struggling to break even. Very few of the bigger clubs in L1 do. I vaguely recall Barnsley typically lose around £4-5m each season in this league, then make a small profit when in the Championship.

3 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

I think we will mix it up using both a 343 and a 352/3412 next season. At times playing with two centre fowards whilst on other occasions playing with inside fowards (which for me would get the best of NML). 

Which ever formation we use we need more attacking additions with a goal scoring number 9 being the priority. Is Rhodes ideal? No. But I do think he would do a job in finding the back of the net.

If we play 352 we can play Collins and Washington up front. With 343 we can use Barkhuisen and NML as inside forwards. That's what I'm hoping Warne is thinking to keep the opposition thinking.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Vickers was done for weeks before finally being announced.

Different though because it was summer. He went off and got married and we just announced it when everyone was back.

Regardless of how close the deal could be. If he's playing in friendlies for Huddersfield and training with Huddersfield it isn't done at all.

It it's because Huddersfield want to bring someone in before letting him go then it's not done.

Huddersfield might not end up being able to bring someone in and have to keep him.

2 hours ago, JPRamFan said:

If we play 352 we can play Collins and Washington up front. With 343 we can use Barkhuisen and NML as inside forwards. That's what I'm hoping Warne is thinking to keep the opposition thinking.

I agree. It's good to have options and different ways of playing depending on the game.

Hopefully we can add another foward to add further fire power and options to pick from.

9 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Just because we're interested or even agreed a deal with Rhodes, until an agreement is reached between the 2 clubs he is always going to continue training with them, he is their player, so why wouldn't he? The same as Knight continuing to train with us until a deal was agreed with Bristol City. To think a player stops training all because a team wants them or a deal is close is ridiculous.

It seems that the hold up in the deal is that we're waiting for Huddersfield to sign a striker before letting Rhodes go, it is quite obvious he isn't in Warnock's plans for the season. He may even play in their next friendly, it still doesn't mean a deal isn't close. Collins played for Cardiff in a preseason game a few days before joining us even though it was widely reported we were close to signing him.

Im pretty confident we would have to have met huds valuation of him to be granted permission to speak to him.

the only way we could circumnavigate that is if he was out of contract or had only 6 months left … which neither is the case 

We cant just go and speak to an under contract player from another club without their permission… which usually comes about by meeting their valuation of him

The fact this topic is on page 21 says it all. We’re desperate for some firepower. Didn’t one of the coaches say he expected a deal to go through this week? 

Got 2 days left. Seems to be a reoccurring pattern that a timeframe is set and then missed. Are we haggling to the last minute? 

Don’t even want Rhodes but if it goes on much longer I’d take Liam Dickinson and the ghost of Steve Bloomer.