23/24 MINIMUM Expectations

Day

23/24 MINIMUM Expectations  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

Minimum expectation? Promotion via the playoffs.If we can't get automatic promotion from this poor league..we are Derby County...then serious questions should be asked of Warne.The facts are we are the 18th best supported club in the country..and that's playing Accrington Stanley Forest Green Rovers and Cheltenham...but we finished last season  51st position in the league that's the biggest discrepancy of the 92... this cannot be allowed to continue.And Im fully confident it won't...Autos it is!

There are, of course some poor teams in this division but I really don’t think it should be “automatics or else” for PW. Do you not think it’s reasonable to consider Barnsley and Bolton as serious contenders? There will be other teams that are also expecting an improvement on last year (Portsmouth?) as well as a potential surprise package or two.

For me it has to be: automatics is the target (as it should be for half at least dozen other teams) and reaching the playoffs is minimum expectation. The consequences of achieving anything less is of course dependent on circumstances. If we finish 7th on goal difference having lost some key players due to injury then we dust ourselves down and start again. If we finish in the bottom half of the table with no mitigating circumstances then DC may have a serious decision to make.

Regarding the size of our support, sadly league tables are not determined by attendances. Also, don’t forget, there are certain clubs that finished above us in the league pyramid that may well get bigger attendances if they had bigger grounds. If we were still at the BBG we wouldn’t be “the 18th best supported club in the country”.

September 13 last year. I went to Lincoln City away. Rosenior was trying to gel a team together after Administration. He wanted to play attractive football. We go behind to a dodgy penalty . Team well and truly booed off by travelling rams fans . Will Warne get more time than Rosenior ?

39 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

There are, of course some poor teams in this division but I really don’t think it should be “automatics or else” for PW. Do you not think it’s reasonable to consider Barnsley and Bolton as serious contenders? There will be other teams that are also expecting an improvement on last year (Portsmouth?) as well as a potential surprise package or two.

For me it has to be: automatics is the target (as it should be for half at least dozen other teams) and reaching the playoffs is minimum expectation. The consequences of achieving anything less is of course dependent on circumstances. If we finish 7th on goal difference having lost some key players due to injury then we dust ourselves down and start again. If we finish in the bottom half of the table with no mitigating circumstances then DC may have a serious decision to make.

Regarding the size of our support, sadly league tables are not determined by attendances. Also, don’t forget, there are certain clubs that finished above us in the league pyramid that may well get bigger attendances if they had bigger grounds. If we were still at the BBG we wouldn’t be “the 18th best supported club in the country”.

The “we’re Derby and we are too big to be in league one” stuff needs to stop. Have to humble yourself in this league because only by working as hard as every other team, who may well consider us a big scalp, will we actually achieve what we want to. Fans having that attitude doesn’t help. 

55 minutes ago, Srg said:

The “we’re Derby and we are too big to be in league one” stuff needs to stop. Have to humble yourself in this league because only by working as hard as every other team, who may well consider us a big scalp, will we actually achieve what we want to. Fans having that attitude doesn’t help. 

Surely you work hard because you have that belief? We are too big for this league with all our resources - even under this business plan. Why do you think Warne thought last season a failure? Why shouldn't we expect promotion this season? We have the resources to put together a very good squad, if we don't do well then it's the managers fault.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Surely you work hard because you have that belief? We are too big for this league with all our resources - even under this business plan. Why do you think Warne thought last season a failure? Why shouldn't we expect promotion this season? We have the resources to put together a very good squad, if we don't do well then it's the managers fault.

Too big for this league doesn't always equal the same reason we should want/expect promotion.

You need good players, hard work, togetherness, tactics and all the rest of it. And those are the reasons Warne will have been disappointed, not because we have some nonsense divine right to go up.

Similarly, there's a difference between expecting promotion through those reasons I mentioned, and expecting it just because we're Derby County as many are seemingly doing.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Completely agree with this. After a 7th place finish last year and less restrictions this time out, I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect us to build a team that can achieve playoffs as a minimum goal, but I just don't think you can insist on top 2 as a minimum requirement or it is a 'failure'. Sheffield Wednesday didn't get into automatic places but I bet they don't give a rats ass right now. By any reckoning, a Top 2 finish is going to need a relentless run of point gathering. Wednesday lost just 6 games from 46 and still missed out on automatics. Even a slightly sluggish start with a largely new team that is still getting to know each others game would leave you needing a special season.

Too big for this league?

How long did it take Sunderland to get promoted? Bigger support than us by some distance. Bigger crowds also bring higher costs etc. We still need to be very prudent with our spending and control costs. A bit of patience is required from some - other teams are building too - Bolton, Barnsley, Portsmouth etc. Hopefully top six position but no guarantees. I want to see progress in terms of style, defensive tightness and greater goal scoring. 

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

Too big for this league?

How long did it take Sunderland to get promoted? Bigger support than us by some distance. Bigger crowds also bring higher costs etc. We still need to be very prudent with our spending and control costs. A bit of patience is required from some - other teams are building too - Bolton, Barnsley, Portsmouth etc. Hopefully top six position but no guarantees. I want to see progress in terms of style, defensive tightness and greater goal scoring. 

Sunderland may have bigger crowds but they got an average of £12 per attendee compared with our £16. Their commercial and sponsorship income has also been shockingly poor compared with the size of their club too.

6 hours ago, Srg said:

I have to agree. Perhaps it’s time to stop singing to away fans”We are massive , go back to your S—t hole, Duck the EFL” etc. Other teams seem to do better by having a positive mindset. Be nice to get rid of all negative vibes , but I don’t think it will happen.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sunderland may have bigger crowds but they got an average of £12 per attendee compared with our £16. Their commercial and sponsorship income has also been shockingly poor compared with the size of their club too.

In their promotion season Sunderland's turnover was around £26m and they still showed a loss of around £8m on the year, I can't see Derby's figures being anywhere near those expenditure figures.

9 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Think most people are giving him the full season by which time he’d have had pretty much 2 seasons in charge. That’s more than fair. If we were in the championship then I’d agree more patience would be needed as long as we’re comfortably surviving but this is league 1 and last season whichever way you look at it was our joint lowest finish in the pyramid in our entire history, the context of last season made this acceptable, this year it simply isn’t. 

Personally I think Warne will smash it and we’ll be celebrating come the end of the season.

Fair comments.

u could and i would argue how much of a first season has he actually had

totally restricted january transfer window and a group of players that were picked up with 2 weeks of the season to go (ie no one else wanted) by another manager with a totally different style and philosophy

i think both are fair comments though

im just older and more patient than u youngsters lol

Edited by NottsRam77

8 hours ago, Srg said:

This … 100% this 

A lot had the same attitude in the championship tbh just cos of who we were and how Much money we were spunking around

3 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

I have to agree. Perhaps it’s time to stop singing to away fans”We are massive , go back to your S—t hole, Duck the EFL” etc. Other teams seem to do better by having a positive mindset. Be nice to get rid of all negative vibes , but I don’t think it will happen.

I can’t say I’ve heard a song “go back to your s—hole. Do you mean “xxxxxx is a s—t hole, that’s why you’re still here”?

Duck the EFL should be well and truly binned. It’s just embarrassing that every time a contentious decision goes against us certain folk feel the need to play the victimisation card. The others you have mentioned are just harmless banter that most/many clubs sing.

I expected play-offs as a minimum last year and was disappointed we didn't. Though we were hampered by only getting frees and a salary cap, I think having a clean slate with no real dead wood players running down their contracts and creating a toxic environment gave us every chance of overcoming that. Having said that, the form of the top three was such that I don't think think any manager would have got us promoted automatically especially one that came in part way through. 

Next year, with the top three promoted, I fully expect us to get in the top two. Warne has no chance at all if we don't make the play-offs next year. 

None of this is based on us being "massive" (one of the worst songs we've ever sung IMO) but purely on us having a top two budget that will be double most clubs and quadruple quite a few. 

Taking the word 'minimum' seriously - the Play offs.  My expectations though are the top two as currently only Bolton seem to be strengthening of the top teams.  If Barnsley had kept Duff I might have been less confident.  

What this survey doesn't invite is any thought about going up strongly enough to stay up.  That seems to be assumed, but until Sunderland last season very few promoted clubs have done at all well in the Championship recently.  Better to go up a season later than go up in a poor state to stay there.

• 10 months later...