23/24 MINIMUM Expectations

Day

23/24 MINIMUM Expectations  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not surprised to see some absolute drivel on here tempered by posters with realistic expectations.

We don't know what squad we'll have, we're the bookies favourites (which means nothing), we are the biggest team in the league with the largest budget (which none of us actually know), all of which are spurious assertions yet from this we therefore must be winning the league......or Warne must get sacked. 

I'll go with Top 6 minimum.

26 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not surprised to see some absolute drivel on here tempered by posters with realistic expectations.

We don't know what squad we'll have, we're the bookies favourites (which means nothing), we are the biggest team in the league with the largest budget (which none of us actually know), all of which are spurious assertions yet from this we therefore must be winning the league......or Warne must get sacked. 

I'll go with Top 6 minimum.

Don’t know why, this post made me giggle.

Thanks Mr D

42 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

confused thread. some people saying what they expect. Some saying what they would think would be acceptable

Minimum expectations = “what they think would be acceptable”

“Saying what they expect” = an expression of how people expect the season to play out and/or what they want to happen on top of their minimum expectations. 

"Success" is obviously relative to that specific season. I think it would be a little too simple to just say we have to finish in x position for it to meet expectations.

Take Sheffield Wednesday in the season just gone, for example. They got 96 points. I haven't trawled through the history of League 1 but I'm pretty confident that 96 points would've got automatic promotion in every other season. There's probably not many where you wouldn't win the league title by a mile with 96 points. I know they ultimately went up, but say Barnsley scored in the 123rd minute rather than Sheffield Wednesday, does their season then become a failure? Sometimes a successful season vs a failed season comes down to a single moment. If we equalised against SWFC on the final day, we might've ended up getting promoted. That's the fate of 46 games decided by a single moment of 1 game.

I think my minimum expectation is to go into May 2024 with a good chance of being in the Championship. Whether that's guaranteed play-offs, or already promoted, but we can't finish 7th or lower again. We could get fewer points this season than last, but finish 6th and win the play-offs and that would be a successful season. We could get 96 points, finish 3rd and lose the play-off final, so even though we would've had a better season, we can end up worse off.

I've put play offs. Although I see us building on from where we were 12 months ago, and where we were means I should just appreciate seeing my club exist; after we just missed out last season, and I feel the league is weaker this season I'd hope we'd make that one step further.

i think anything less than playoffs will be a huge failure

when you get to them they are a complete lottery as we have found out in the past so what happens happens from that point, but it would be a really poor season if we are not in the mix.

8 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Promotion is the only expectation. We are in a league in which we are one of, if not the biggest. Teams who would be in the running have/likely to have deductions. We can now spend according to a business plan. We have one of the better groups of players already.

We HAVE to aim for automatics. Anything less than promotion is failure 

would like to know the clarification on the business plan, it seems we have a different business plan every week, i dont think anyone genuinely has any idea what restrictions we have. judging from our busines so far we are definitely still under fairly strict restrictions - just going based on what we are doing so far

On 24/06/2023 at 10:04, Ghost of Clough said:

Whilst there is a lack of clear cut information on our own budget, there is a lot for other clubs in our division, based on 21/22 accounts, previous seasons in L1 and current financial shape of their club. It's then reasonable to assume our is higher.

Our main rivals for promotion being: Blackpool, Reading, Bolton, Barnsley, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Charlton. Likely figures for this season being, in ascending wage bill order:

Peterborough - £7m revenue, £7m wage bill

Blackpool - L1 revenue of £9m, with a £7m wage bill

Barnsley - £9m revenue, £8m wage bill

Portsmouth - £12m revenue, £9m wage bill

Reading - £11m revenue, £10m wage bill (EFL imposed wage cap of £16m in 22/23 and they failed to meet their imposed limits. Reduction in wage bill inline with reduction in revenue due to league)

Charlton - £10m revenue, £11m wage bill

Bolton - £14m revenue, £12m wage bill

No other team will have a wage bill exceeding £10m. We'll undoubtedly have the highest revenue this season, with a more than likely top 2 wage bill. I estimate our figures will be approximately £20m revenue and £13m wage bill.

when was the last time we actually have seen a proper set of accounts? it must be almost 4 years now ?

pretty shocking that we have no idea what state the club is in financially

Playoffs would be my minimal expectation.  Would be nice to be much closer to the automatic places for the majority of the season not just hanging around 5th or 6th. 

Automatics is definitely what the club should be aiming for.  Doesn't mean it is achievable though.  If Warne doesnt make the playoffs this season his job really should be under pressure, particularly if the football is a difficult watch as well.  

12 minutes ago, alram said:

would like to know the clarification on the business plan, it seems we have a different business plan every week, i dont think anyone genuinely has any idea what restrictions we have. judging from our busines so far we are definitely still under fairly strict restrictions - just going based on what we are doing so far

The people who need to know, know, and I trust them to do their jobs.

8 minutes ago, alram said:

when was the last time we actually have seen a proper set of accounts? it must be almost 4 years now ?

Reading the administrators reports gives a decent idea of income and costs. We're a year on from that now under completely different circumstances, but you can still get a reasonable idea of the current state of affairs.

29 minutes ago, alram said:

I would imagine that after coming out of admin 12 months ago and the EFL relaxing the restrictions on us and being allowed to buy players again we’re in a decent position financially 

29 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I would imagine that after coming out of admin 12 months ago and the EFL relaxing the restrictions on us and being allowed to buy players again we’re in a decent position financially 

The club stated that they were able to agree a relaxation of the restrictions in the business plan because they were able to show the EFL that they had run with a surplus this last season.

1 hour ago, alram said:

I think that’s the point. The business plan probably hasn’t changed (much) it’s just folks uneducated guesses are changing.