The Summer Evolution: Your CURRENT best XI

StarterForTen

I know that for some it has been a slow start to the summer but the next couple of months do feel like they may well see big changes in the first team squad. I thought it might be a bit of fun to track the evolution of the first team with our best XIs that can be updated as players come and - sadly - go before the transfer window closes at the start of September.

Feel free to update your teams - and/or formations - as often as you like. Lets just hope that the last ones we offer are better than the first!

And this is YOUR best team - not what you think Warne will pick, or even the line up you think Warne may use. The only criteria is that the player is currently available to be selected for the first game of the 2023/24 season.

So my best team, as at 2pm on Friday June 16th, is a formation of 3-5-1-1 lining up as:

Wildmsith

Forsyth - Bielik - Cashin

Knight - Smith - Hourihane - Bird - Mendez Laing

Sibley

Collins 

1 minute ago, StarterForTen said:

I know that for some it has been a slow start to the summer but the next couple of months do feel like they may well see big changes in the first team squad. I thought it might be a bit of fun to track the evolution of the first team with our best XIs that can be updated as players come and - sadly - go before the transfer window closes at the start of September.

Feel free to update your teams - and/or formations - as often as you like. Lets just hope that the last ones we offer are better than the first!

And this is YOUR best team - not what you think Warne will pick, or even the line up you think Warne may use. The only criteria is that the player is currently available to be selected for the first game of the 2023/24 season.

So my best team, as at 2pm on Friday June 16th, is a formation of 3-5-1-1 lining up as:

Wildmsith

Sibley

Collins 

Same, except switch Sibley & NML.

Collins      NML

Sibley        Hourihane        Knight      Ward

Bird

Fozzy          Cashin       Rooney

Wildsmith

8 hours ago, sage said:

Collins      NML

Sibley        Hourihane        Knight      Ward

Bird

Fozzy          Cashin       Rooney

Wildsmith

I wonder if the plan is to use NML as more of an out and out striker this year, he’s got pace, a physical presence, can finish. Still offers the flexibility then if Warne changes the shape to shift him back out wide or as a 10 behind a central striker as he finished the season, rwb if desperate. He was one of our better performers at times last season so hope Warne can find a way to keep him in the side and firing.

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

Wildsmith; Cashin, Bielik, Forsyth; Sibley, Ward; Bird, Hourihane, Knight; NML Collins

Wildsmith

Forsyth Bielik Cashin

Ward                                          Elder

Bird        Hourihane

Knight

NML       Collins

On 16/06/2023 at 14:17, StarterForTen said:

Wildmsith

Sibley

Collins 

I think we’re getting stronger, but still would play knight at right wing back.

I’m tweaking the formation to a 3-4-1-2 lining up as:

Wildmsith

Knight - Hourihane - Bird - Elder

Sibley

Collins - Mendez Laing

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I wonder if the plan is to use NML as more of an out and out striker this year, he’s got pace, a physical presence, can finish. Still offers the flexibility then if Warne changes the shape to shift him back out wide or as a 10 behind a central striker as he finished the season, rwb if desperate. He was one of our better performers at times last season so hope Warne can find a way to keep him in the side and firing.

I agree with this. He can play as a centre forward in a 352 or for me me he is best as an inside forward in a 343. I am sure Paul Warne will utilise both formation at times.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

When every Derby County manager and the majority of the fan base disagree with your opinion, generally, your opinion will be wrong.

Smith was played out of position for most of the season due to no RB, when he played CM he generally controlled the game better than Bird did

23 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Smith was played out of position for most of the season due to no RB, when he played CM he generally controlled the game better than Bird did

Every Derby manager since Cocu first gave him a run in the first team had Bird down as one of the first names on the team sheet. One of those former managers is now trying to sign him in the division above us.