Tina Turner dies, aged 83

Day

1 minute ago, Rev said:

What a life she lived. 

Survived the most awful years of abuse, to re-emerge as the most powerful, fierce woman on the planet for a time. 

What a woman, what a voice, what an Icon.

You are so right Rev she was an amazing performer. She will be in heaven partying with the likes of Freddie, Bowie, Whitney etc. Condolences to her husband and family. 

15 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

You are so right Rev she was an amazing performer. She will be in heaven partying with the likes of Freddie, Bowie, Whitney etc. Condolences to her husband and family. 

I'm sure you know this already, but it was Bowie who bought her back into public attention after her divorce, in which she was left with basically a stage name and nothing else, and she had to fight Ike for that!

Private Dancer was gifted her by Mark Knofler, and Jeff Beck played lead guitar on the track, all down to Bowie bringing her back into the public consciousness. 

16 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

One of the few singers whose voice grated with my so much I'd have to turn the radio off when she came on.

But clearly I was in a tiny minority and she was a true giant of the industry, a legend and a remarkable person. 

RIP

I wouldn't quite go as far as that first line of yours, but I was about to say I wasn't her biggest fan, particularly the later 80's stuff.  But like you, I fully appreciate her true superstardom.  This feels like a biggy, even as a non-fan.

Proper star.  Proper legend. And a proper chunk of music history.

RIP, Superstar.
xxx

12 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I wouldn't quite go as far as that first line of yours, but I was about to say I wasn't her biggest fan, particularly the later 80's stuff.  But like you, I fully appreciate her true superstardom.  This feels like a biggy, even as a non-fan.

RIP, Superstar.
xxx

For me, it wasn't her music that made her a star. 

It was the way she not only survived the music industry and wider society at the time, and black women's role in it, that made her such an icon.

She stood on the shoulders of giants, and she made every second count.

25 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

RIP, Superstar.
xxx

I loved her triumphant 90s return with golden Eye though. I love the start of that song, really takes me back to a time and place. 

1 hour ago, Rev said:

I'm sure you know this already, but it was Bowie who bought her back into public attention after her divorce, in which she was left with basically a stage name and nothing else, and she had to fight Ike for that!

Private Dancer was gifted her by Mark Knofler, and Jeff Beck played lead guitar on the track, all down to Bowie bringing her back into the public consciousness. 

Yes your so right I think they had a relationship for a short time. But I do know they were great friends as well. 

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

One of the few singers whose voice grated with my so much I'd have to turn the radio off when she came on.

But clearly I was in a tiny minority and she was a true giant of the industry, a legend and a remarkable person. 

RIP

I have heard someone else say this. I found it weird but it seems you are not alone, but still in a minority by a big way I would say.

13 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Er... look up who her ex husband was. 

Sorry, I see it now.

You were making a weak joke, rather than contributing in a meaningful way to the thread.