Summer Rumour Mill

sage

Tbh where the EFL restrictions has crippled us in the transfer window is in the attacking options e.g. Charlton have just spent £1.5m on three attacking players this season. I’m happy with the signings but it just shows where we realistically are due to poor financial practices. I trust Warne but I’d say this side is currently top 6 at best no where near the top 2. 

I wonder if we sold Cashin for say £3-5m we could actually use that on a striker ? 

1 minute ago, simmoram1995 said:

Tbh where the EFL restrictions has crippled us in the transfer window is in the attacking options e.g. Charlton have just spent £1.5m on three attacking players this season. I’m happy with the signings but it just shows where we realistically are due to poor financial practices. I trust Warne but I’d say this side is currently top 6 at best no where near the top 2. 

I wonder if we sold Cashin for say £3-5m we could actually use that on a striker ? 

No no no no….

7 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

I wonder... Does anyone know how much Warne spend at Rovrum to get his 3 promotions there?

18 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

GO AND WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH CARBOLIC. !!

What is slightly dissapointing ( and we know who to blame for our predicament!!) is that all of a sudden for me I look at L1 and instead of confidently thinking we’ll win this league instead I’m thinking ..Charlton will be strong , Reading and a few others looking decent when I think with a couple of really decent strikers like Nombe and Ladapo to add to what we have and maybe selling Sibley and another maybe Cashin  ( although I like him a lot ) would make us look a lot stronger …we have Rooney and Fozzy who are more than capable to play CB and for me and somewhat controversially if we got 3-4m for Cashin and 300k for Sibley and it meant two decent strikers I’d be ok with it 

I do not want to stagnate in this league , big clubs like Sunderland spent far too long in this division and it’s imperative we get out of it and no one player is bigger than the club let’s just hope Warne has got it right 

27 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I wonder... Does anyone know how much Warne spend at Rovrum to get his 3 promotions there?

I just did some research and here it is, all info includes January window aswell.

17/18 season -

Spent 85k on Jamie proctor was the only fee. Got in 1.8 million in player sales.

signed 11 players with 5 being on loan

19/20 season -

spent 680k on Ladapo and Trevor Clarke while getting in 4 million in player sales. 

signed 15 players with 6 being loans 

21/22 season -

spent a total of 0 pounds on fees and got in 1.3 million that year with sales.

signing 9 players and 3 of them were loans.

took all figures straight from the internet without properly looking so take with a pinch of salt, but he certainly didn’t splash the cash in any promotion season.

Edited by Eoghan1884

10 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

17-18 - 11 players - 5 on a free + proctor £75k, Adjayi few hundred k, same with smith , palmer say around £750 k total 

19-20 - 9 players - 3 on a free + Ladapo , Clarke, Lindsey, Ogbene and tilt say around £1m + for the lot 

21-22- 9 players - 3 on a free , 3 on loan oddofin, rathbone, bola  those three from looking rumoured to cost around £1m in total 

say those figures are correct Imagine 2.75-3m+ across three seasons 

5 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I just did some research and here it is, all info includes January window aswell.

17/18 season -

Spent 85k on Jamie proctor was the only fee. Got in 1.8 million in player sales.

19/20 season -

spent 680k on Ladapo and Trevor Clarke while getting in 4 million in player sales. 

21/22 season -

Just goes to show it can be done without splashing the cash.

54 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

17/18 season -

19/20 season -

21/22 season -

took all figures straight from the internet without properly looking so take with a pinch of salt, but he certainly didn’t splash the cash in any promotion season.

And along with his promotions this is why he was a No.1 target for cash strapped Derby. 

The sad passing of Trevor Francis has me thinking about how old fashioned we are when giving such importance to transfer fees. Wages are so much more important than transfer fees nowadays, certainly outside of the Premier League. Small/no transfer fees will hamper us somewhat but we can attract players that almost no other club in the division can as we can pay the most. Even if we spent £1m on a player it would still be about 10% of our budget. Our fans were getting salty last year whenever opposition managers talked about our much larger budget than theirs - they were talking about wages, not transfer fees.

2 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

we know what happens when you overspend, I trust in Warnes approach

I wouldn’t exactly say they have over spent though. They’ve got Lloyd jones on a free, camera on loan from Ipswich looks great business on both and to get may and nombe for a million pound of that’s what they pay is great business too. I find it strange we can’t spend the Jason knight money when we could sign a striker for just under a million and bank the other 750k unless we have had our pants down and it’s not all upfront. Charlton will be up there and if they go up and bank 7 million in tv money then it will be worth it.