Summer Rumour Mill

sage

18 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Really odd outlook that is. We've signed 8 players. All of them would have had offers from other club. A lot of them have said how after speaking to Warne they decided to choose Derby.

But if we miss out on someone then Warne can't attract a player.

They all had offers.  Are we including Washington with a bad knee.  Nelson who was released by Blackpool.  Maybe 3 of the 8.  I suspect they choose the club over the rhetoric.

8 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Two if you coming Waghorn.

If I was a centre forward watching us with the amount of balls we put in the box I'd be thinking I would score goals. 

We created chances yesterday. We just didn't take them.

I am 57 and fairly sure I could get 10 goals with that delivery this season and plenty of opposition goalkeepers wouldn’t be looking where the football was either 🤭

7 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Don’t you think Sharp would convert a high percentage of chances in the box ? If anyone had made a near post run yesterday we would have won the game.

No, I don’t. I think he’s 37 year old and hasn’t looked his old self since they got promoted to the Prem (the first time). I don’t think he’s got the legs to get by any defender in this division. Warne seems to be bringing in someone to be a poacher? That’s all Collins can do so what’s the point? 

Not impressed by Warne’s recruitment in forward areas at the moment if this happens 

10 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Two if you coming Waghorn.

If I was a centre forward watching us with the amount of balls we put in the box I'd be thinking I would score goals. 

We created chances yesterday. We just didn't take them.

Depends whether you like to play in the air? Sharp? 😄 Rhodes maybe. Waghorn is another CKR he found us!

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

That's how I read what @Caerphilly Ram said.

He's a good player though, would add a damn site more dynamism to our team whether playing 10 or 9, so I hope we at least enquired about him over the summer.

You read correct. It was/is a young striker at a current championship club who is due to go out on loan, but as yet nothing has happened in that regard from the club in question. I haven’t been given a name, I do of course know which club my mate works for but won’t be saying openly on here at the moment.

I shared the info not because of the specific link to a player but more around the idea that we are (apparently) looking to make some deals for younger players too.

15 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

They all had offers.  Are we including Washington with a bad knee.  Nelson who was released by Blackpool.  Maybe 3 of the 8.  I suspect they choose the club over the rhetoric.

Christ. Washington "with a bad knee" You mean a footballer who required a small op on his knee and is now fit?

And Nelson wasn't released by Blackpool. He signed till the end of the season and his contract ran out.

Which even if he was released by Blackpool does being released by them mean you don't get offers from other clubs?

There is still just under 4 weeks of the window left. 

44 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If this said player turns up at another League 1 club, that will only reinforce my view that Warne couldn't attract a fly to a cows a******* and that his style of play isn't attractive to other clubs loaning out their younger players. No positives in that at all, all negatives.  

As I said in the original post I was fairly confident some would see the negatives with the limited info I had, which is partly why I hesitated to share it, but it is what it is. Some will hopefully see a bit of positivity in the clubs intent where lots are worried about the age of the players linked publicly, others such as yourself have your concerns. I’m not gonna dispute those, it’s not how I see it and it is how you see it, we’re each entitled to our opinions after all. 

Would love us to sign some creativity instead of old has strikers. 

Also if our defence are pressing up high, maybe sign someone who can actually run. 

Players like Plange going to Carlise on loan. Whilst we are looking at Rhodes/ Smith etc. 

The laughing clown is turning us into Rotherham. 

2 minutes ago, hughesy 1984 said:

Also if our defence are pressing up high, maybe sign someone who can actually run. 

Players like Plange going to Carlise on loan. Whilst we are looking at Rhodes/ Smith etc. 

If by turning us into Rotherham you mean using the formation and same tactics he used in his last job then of course he is, it would have been odd if he didn’t.  He wasn’t going to come here and reinvent his own personal wheel was he?

11 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

As I said in the original post I was fairly confident some would see the negatives with the limited info I had, which is partly why I hesitated to share it, but it is what it is. Some will hopefully see a bit of positivity in the clubs intent where lots are worried about the age of the players linked publicly, others such as yourself have your concerns. I’m not gonna dispute those, it’s not how I see it and it is how you see it, we’re each entitled to our opinions after all. 

Mate it might just as easily be another Springett?

15 minutes ago, hughesy 1984 said:

That would mean we'd be back in the Championship so it'll do for me.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Mate it might just as easily be another Springett?

Knowing the club and a couple of their “young strikers” it would definitely be a coup for a league one club to sign them. But I would expect the names I have looked at to go to a championship club, unless they’re worried about strengthening a rival. What is does potentially lead to is the point you make Roy, if it’s not the names I have looked at, is it another youth player who my mate rates cause he works for the club and has some loyalty and bias… but in reality could the player could be just another Springett?

21 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

You should have hesitated longer.

All you've done is set the excitable amongst us a challenge to identify the player, and the skeptics amongst us a stick to further beat PW with.

4 hours ago, SK47 said:

This Is the issue I've been talking about since last season. Cue the long post: 

Last season a few things struck me which have not been addressed.

Collins last season papered over his flaws by nicking the odd goal here and there, and was often covered by McGoldrick being the main man. Collins inability to take players on, hold the ball up, pick out clinical passes, individual brilliance etc is everything we now lack in the final third since Mcgoldrick left.

Somehow, all of the above in regards to Collins abilities have been completely forgotten and we have now made him our main man.. we have signed more back up work horse standard strikers rather than doing the obvious and signing a legitimate goal scorer. Alfie May would of been a perfect addition. Someone who can get goals out of nothing, someone who can play between the lines, and something different to what we have or appear to be signing.

This doesn't mean Collins isn't useful because in the right position, he's a decent finisher, the problem is he's trying to do the job of a player we need but don't have, and unfortunately all those qualities needed to do that role, he doesn't have. 

We desperately need an Alfie May, Nombe, or something similar. More old work horses aren't the answer, we need a bit of class and if we have a good budget for this league.. I'd like to see us use it while we have the chance instead of relying on old freebies and then realising it's not working when it's too late.

Collins isn't the scape goat, but he's definitely not the answer.

Neither May or Nombe scored yesterday either

22 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Christ. Washington "with a bad knee" You mean a footballer who required a small op on his knee and is now fit?

And Nelson wasn't released by Blackpool. He signed till the end of the season and his contract ran out.

Which even if he was released by Blackpool does being released by them mean you don't get offers from other clubs?

There is still just under 4 weeks of the window left. 

He's been out for 4 months and had very little time playing preseason. He's also had the problem for 9 months limiting his playing time.  That's more than minor, particularly the amount of running Warnes been talking about. Rotherham didn't put up much resistance for saying he was under contract. Blackpool were defensively awful last season, are in our league and no contract was offered.  What offers from other clubs are we talking and what calibre. I would imagine Derby were by far the best option.

We are now resorting to a player who's scored 3 goals in two years as a miraculous solve all problem option up top.  I almost feel sorry for him.

I would like to be wrong.  I'm not convinced I am.

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I bet you could have named most of them!

I think that true, but I am beginning to sense that there are a much larger number of Rams fans who are beginning to doubt the abilities of Warne. Not everyone questioning our signings, potential signings, and style of play is a rabid keyboard warrior. He is getting much closer to dividing fan opinion than ever. We do need more walk and less talk from him.