Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Sheff Utd on the other hand - they signed both N'Diaye and Che Adams from non-league recently. Che Adams on our own back yard. 

Nigel tried to sign Che Adams, but GSE wouldn't sanction the move. 

He then signed him for Sheff Utd.

10 minutes ago, Rev said:

Nigel tried to sign Che Adams, but GSE wouldn't sanction the move. 

He then signed him for Sheff Utd.

I think we offered 3 million rising to 5 under Rowett as well.  When he left Sheff Utd it's probably the first time a big sell on for a non league club -about 350k- has almost pushed them into admin when creditors called in their debts worried the cash would disappear.

I think at this stage it’s worth pointing out how slow the market is over the last week or so. Lower Prem clubs/top champ clubs are seemingly in a bit of mess struggling to get deals done, which is having a knock on effect because those clubs won’t let players go until their targets are in.

Forest are a prime example in that they spent a stupid amount of money last season which they didn’t need to, currently really having to negotiate their transfers to abide by FFP and get players out other clubs don’t want. They inflated the costs last year and because they can’t spend it now and still chasing targets it’s holding everything up. 

Well…it’s worth getting a dig in when you can! But you can look at Leeds, Everton, Wolves, Sheffield United and a load of others that are all struggling to make the moves needed with one/two weeks to go.

17 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think at this stage it’s worth pointing out how slow the market is over the last week or so. Lower Prem clubs/top champ clubs are seemingly in a bit of mess struggling to get deals done, which is having a knock on effect because those clubs won’t let players go until their targets are in.

Forest are a prime example in that they spent a stupid amount of money last season which they didn’t need to, currently really having to negotiate their transfers to abide by FFP and get players out other clubs don’t want. They inflated the costs last year and because they can’t spend it now and still chasing targets it’s holding everything up. 

Well…it’s worth getting a dig in when you can! But you can look at Leeds, Everton, Wolves, Sheffield United and a load of others that are all struggling to make the moves needed with one/two weeks to go.

How long was the contract they gave Arter.  Pound for pound with the fee, undoubted increase in wage on promotion with a bonus on top and a contract extension trigger, he's loving life.

6 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Heard that we’re so far down our list of strikers now, we’ve turned our attention to train drivers.

Bill  on the Newquay to Par line I've heard.  Got 10 goals playing for Truro Turbines in 2008 and still has the ability to stretch games at 45 as our 4th back up choice striker of the window.  We'd better add some steel plates to that bench too hold the weight of these backups, it's groaning.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

It definitely is for strikers, honestly don't see many other options than scouring abroad for cost-effective options. Premier League clubs have little choice. The UK market is so sparse that carthorses like Keinan Davis are being talked about in the realms of £5m - a goal every 366 minutes in the Championship and every 810 minutes in the Premier League. He's a player that I would struggle to get excited about in League One, nevermind in the Championship or higher. 

There are players out there, of course, Notts County signed Macaulay Langstaff from Gateshead for £50k. He scored 30 in 47 for them and gone on to score 41 in 47 for Notts County. I would like to bet that he scores a lot of goals next season too. We've just not been a club who has been proactive in scouting players, take a look at Sheff Utd on the other hand - they signed both N'Diaye and Che Adams from non-league recently. Che Adams on our own back yard. 

I hoped that things would change under the new ownership/management with regards to recruitment, but does seem to be similar trend - we've just looked at players from the Championship out of contract and who may drop into League One and got the ones that suited the system. Nothing wrong with that at all, that's not my point, but while we've been picking up Bradley, Nelson, Elder, etc. Barnsley have gone to non-league to find players and signed a few: Dallas, Lofthouse, Lopata. They may be bad signings who can't cut it, but I was hoping to see some creativity in our recruitment strategy this season, perhaps a couple of non-league/league two players with a bit of potential. We don't do too bad at recruiting for the academy, typically, perhaps we will see something from the lads we've picked up to play for our U21s but our recruitment for the first team, on the other hand, has been as bland as unseasoned chicken. 

Barnsley are taking a huge gamble, they have lost good players from a team who narrowly missed out last season and replaced them with non league players. They may strike it lucky and unearth a gem but its unlikely that they'll all be like that. Dallas for example is 24 and the highlight of his career is a handful of games in league 2 before being shipped out to Solihull. He was OK in the National League last season but wasn't even Chesterfields best player imo, Dobra is far more exciting although his temperament needs work. Chesterfield had an offer on the table for him but his agent touted him to the highest bidder.

43 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Heard that we’re so far down our list of strikers now, we’ve turned our attention to train drivers.

I think that we should wait until a HS2 train driver becomes available, he'll give us more pace up front.😁

54 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Bill  on the Newquay to Par line I've heard.  Got 10 goals playing for Truro Turbines in 2008 and still has the ability to stretch games at 45 as our 4th back up choice striker of the window.  We'd better add some steel plates to that bench too hold the weight of these backups, it's groaning.

As are a lot of fans. Nobody's selling/releasing strikers until they've signed a replacement. Just need the first one in the chain to get a replacement in and the striker go round will get into full flow. Problem is that first club can't sign the man they want because his club are waiting for his replacement to sign....