Summer Rumour Mill

sage

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m not necessarily down as I think we will be tough to beat. I guess my point is that teams will set up to defend against us and in McGoldrick’s absence, we don’t have that little bit of quality to make space.

All of the players touted as potential goalscorers missed a hatful last season. You don’t become a natural goal scorer overnight.

I just think we need a bit of pace alongside Collins and a midfielder prepared to make late runs and pick up a few goals.

85% of the team is sound.

Keep Collins in the box instead of chasing the ball in wide areas, get the wing backs bombing forward and getting crosses in early and i wouldnt be surprised to see Collins get 20 goals this coming season.

16 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Given what we experienced as a club I don’t want to see any other fans going through it. What this does highlight once more are the failings of the governing bodies. How have the EFL allowed them to sign players before the HMRC payment was paid? Surely waiting a few days to be sure all scheduled payments were met THEN allowing the signings would have been sensible? 

I'm very very rarely one to defend the EFL but I'm not sure you can sanction a club based whether they may or may not meet a future payment. That said, and too your broader point, they should be all over them like a rash now they've missed yet another payment. It's entirely unfair when you compare what happened to us.

21 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m not necessarily down as I think we will be tough to beat. I guess my point is that teams will set up to defend against us and in McGoldrick’s absence, we don’t have that little bit of quality to make space.

All of the players touted as potential goalscorers missed a hatful last season. You don’t become a natural goal scorer overnight.

I just think we need a bit of pace alongside Collins and a midfielder prepared to make late runs and pick up a few goals.

85% of the team is sound.

Whilst we have (currently) gone from a 1 goal in 5 shots forward (McGoldrick) and replaced him with a 1 in 8 (Washington), I expect our overall chance creation to improve considerably from last season, especially from the wide areas. It's only an extra 1.4 chances created per game for Collins/Washington to make up for the goals McGoldrick scored last season.

Loan signings !!

Plenty of teams have been promoted due to successful loans - there's one team down the road who wouldn't have got promoted without them

That could add 2 or 3 quality additions to the squad & keep some budget for January

Just now, Mihangel said:

I'm very very rarely one to defend the EFL but I'm not sure you can sanction a club based whether they may or may not meet a future payment. That said, and to your broader point, they should be all over them like a rash now they've missed yet another payment. It's entirely unfair when you compare what happened to us.

Yes you’re correct. I wasn’t saying to sanction them as such, more to employ a common sense approach, probably didn’t phrase it correctly. The EFL seemingly approved a signing days before the missed payment, which was more than likely a scheduled payment, seems this situation could have been better managed with a bit of patience and due diligence. 
A quick scan on Twitter seems to suggest they have now paid the HMRC bills.

15 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

If we can get Waghorn in for so cheap that he doesn’t eat in to the budget and we can still sign 3 other players then I’m all for it. But if he’s our 3rd and final striker or the final winger/supporting attacker that Warne wants then it’s a no from me. He’s the cherry on top of the cake but certainly not the icing or sponge.

Although in front of goal his feet are made of sponge!

28 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Readings Signings potentially being de-registered by EFL, Lewis Wing and Sam Smith anybody? 

I'm not massively keen on Smith, personally, but whatever contract Wing is on at Reading then I'd take that on in a heartbeat. It's an ideal signing in an ideal position, who fits the system like a glove. Boggles my mind as to why we weren't in for him (at least seemingly). 

37 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

I'm very very rarely one to defend the EFL but I'm not sure you can sanction a club based whether they may or may not meet a future payment. That said, and too your broader point, they should be all over them like a rash now they've missed yet another payment. It's entirely unfair when you compare what happened to us.

Agree, all we can ask of the EFL is consistency. In Readings case it would be consistency not with us, but with Wigan for the failure to pay wages and regulations re missing HMRC payments. our issue revolved around admin and we we receive -12 points. Reading are not in administration so its diffrent. 

They do need to sort Reading out for the sake of Reading 

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

Readings Signings potentially being de-registered by EFL, Lewis Wing and Sam Smith anybody? 

IF they have signed the players as per the rules then that is unfair on Reading and the players who have signed legally binding contracts. 

I live just outside Reading and have no liking for them, horrible and ignorant group of people. But fair is fair 

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Sam Nombe looks like he could end up at Charlton, along with Miles Leaburn and Alfie May - that's comfortably the best strikeforce in the league. 

I’m surprised Leaburn hasn’t been signed by someone higher up the leagues, looks a talent 

11 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m surprised Leaburn hasn’t been signed by someone higher up the leagues, looks a talent 

They want mega money and rightly so, he's an excellent prospect. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in the Premier League later down the line, ala Ollie Watkins, Ivan Toney, etc. 

Just now, Ambitious said:

They want mega money and rightly so, he's an excellent prospect. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in the Premier League later down the line, ala Ollie Watkins, Ivan Toney, etc. 

Yeah he almost looks like he’s got the lot. You’re right about if they hold onto him and sign Nombe alongside May, it’s a very strong forward line. 

40 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

IF they have signed the players as per the rules then that is unfair on Reading and the players who have signed legally binding contracts. 

I live just outside Reading and have no liking for them, horrible and ignorant group of people. But fair is fair 

I get what you're saying, but we lost pretty much an entire championship squad (never mind the youth talent) thanks to the EFL and Morris. I'd have no shame picking up these players if the chance arose, and I'd lose no sleep over it.

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yeah he almost looks like he’s got the lot. You’re right about if they hold onto him and sign Nombe alongside May, it’s a very strong forward line. 

Update on Nombe - bid accepted for him so looks like that could be done soon. They've also signed Taylor from Burton who had a few rave reviews. 

They seem to be putting something together - they've got too much not to finish in the top 6 IMO. 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Update on Nombe - bid accepted for him so looks like that could be done soon. They've also signed Taylor from Burton who had a few rave reviews. 

They seem to be putting something together - they've got too much not to finish in the top 6 IMO. 

Really? Was just reading this article that says they’re interested but at around £500k with Exeter holding out for £1m.

However, I do agree they’re putting a good squad together. That’s what’s always annoyed me when people (not you) are talking down the other sides in this league, there will be other clubs pushing for promotion too, Charlton look to be one of them.