Summer Rumour Mill

sage

3 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Contradiction right there.  You seem to criticising our strikers and then go onto say that last season has no bearing on this.  Yet you’re already writing our strikers off based on last season.  You never know, Collins and Washington might get 20 each 😉.

Sure Jan GIF

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Without even checking, I'd imagine that 19 goals between the 2 players is possibly higher than the number of goals scored by our current forward players from last season combined? 

And what someone scored last season has no bearing on what will follow. Who would have thought McGoldrick would score so many. 

If we’re using this argument to say Reading’s new forward line will score plenty this season can we apply it to our own forwards too? 
Last season Collins scored 12, Washington scored 6, NML scored 7, Barkhuizen scored 6, Sibley scored 6, Ward scored 7, Hourihane scored 7… there are goals in our squad. Could there be more? Yes of course, and they could come from the existing players we have or from new additions, but let’s not make out like there’s no goal scoring potential in the side, even if Reading have added a couple themselves.

22 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

Don’t think anyone is forgetting where we were. But equally football is a business governed by money. 

ultimately we’re not sustainable in this division, so we need to get promoted asap. We will need to spend money again at some point, we can’t be scared of it because of it being done poorly in the past.

spending £2m on him and if he scores 25 goals and we get promoted would be a brilliant investment.

would argue that just treading water in this division is a bigger waste of money than trying to push on and get promoted.

I also realise that the best situation is arguably a compromise between the two approaches.

Prime example being the lampard season,other than a crap team selection at Wembley,we had the Chelsea loans mount and tomori,villa had Abraham,look at the difference between us and villa now

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

How did Warne get players to move to Rotherham?! Maybe he's getting too particular about getting the 'right sort' of personality in?

He held a gun to their head obviously.. why else would anyone go to Rotherham?

1 hour ago, SK47 said:

but for players who know their talent ceiling and understand they might not get games once promoted, I genuinely think a lot more comes into play when deciding where these players/targets move to

We don't need players like that.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

If we’re using this argument to say Reading’s new forward line will score plenty this season can we apply it to our own forwards too? 
Last season Collins scored 12, Washington scored 6, NML scored 7, Barkhuizen scored 6, Sibley scored 6, Ward scored 7, Hourihane scored 7… there are goals in our squad. Could there be more? Yes of course, and they could come from the existing players we have or from new additions, but let’s not make out like there’s no goal scoring potential in the side, even if Reading have added a couple themselves.

A few have made that point now. Conveniently ignored each time.

Just on the point of attracting  players over other clubs, I hadn't really thought about it (just assumed everyone would want to join because we're massive) but what ate players looking for... 

Role:- If you're Sam Smith or Alfie May, are you looking at Derby confident you'll certainly start week in week out? More competition here than at some clubs. And if we get promoted, are you suddenly guaranteed not to start? 

Money:- it's not like we can't afford to match teams in L1 in terms of total wage bill, but in terms of a specific player we might speak to this summer, would we out-pay others, factoring in length of contract we're offering? Partly because we're being sensible and thinking long term (I know, boring) and partly because they're less key for us. Take Alfie May, if you're anticipating he'll be your main forward for 2/3 years, you're offering him better terms than us, when I wouldn't be 100% he's starting every week, and if we go up he won't be wanted really 

Geography:- I'm lead to believe footballers like that London. Dw I hadn't heard of it either, but I'm told they have other football clubs there or near there or something

Basically, I'm not as surprised that some players choose to join other clubs, even though they're wrong 

Edited by whiteroseram
Dyslexia

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m a little surprised there hasn’t been a statement from the club about transfers.

They knew we had been promised more signings and could have done an interview saying we all have to be patient, irons in fires etc.

Why? There's been comments consistently in interviews from most of the coaching staff. It's just us who are impatient.

13 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m a little surprised there hasn’t been a statement from the club about transfers.

They knew we had been promised more signings and could have done an interview saying we all have to be patient, irons in fires etc.

Not been on the forum much lately but don't recall reading any promises the club made about incoming transfers.