Summer Rumour Mill

sage

27 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Slight update, 1 more Striker in on a permanent deal, with Dajaune Brown given the first few games to see how he performs. Warne a massive fan of him and wants to use him as the 4th striker. However a loan striker is not off the cards. Creative number 10 looks like it’ll be a loan. Robinson and Thommo impressive and will be rotating in that midfield 2/3

So is the new striker signing towards the end of the window BT…if Brown is going to get 2 or 3 games to start?? Interesting that Robinson and Thommo might get starts before Bird/Conner too, bit of a shake up then 😊

40 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Slight update, 1 more Striker in on a permanent deal, with Dajaune Brown given the first few games to see how he performs. Warne a massive fan of him and wants to use him as the 4th striker. However a loan striker is not off the cards. Creative number 10 looks like it’ll be a loan. Robinson and Thommo impressive and will be rotating in that midfield 2/3

Oh dear - more and more, we will struggle for top six now as there are no goals in this team.

40 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Only 2 or 3 more incomings with 2 of them being loans. 

Gives some credence to the possibility of the budget being no bigger this season.

2 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Tell us more... who is he, why do you want him?

Massive talent at Brighton, played a few first team games but looks like he's going out on loan. Stoke and Blackburn supposed front runners by the looks of things though. Made first team debut for Bray Wanderers at 15 years old and their youngest ever scorer at 16.

Scores goals and gets assists, quality player.

42 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Not sure how i feel about this. Think we need a minimum of 3 through the door, this reads as definitely 2 maybe 3. 

Plus if one of the two ends up being a carthorse liked Rhodes then IMO we're struggling. 

Doesn't seem like we're going all in to get promoted this season but merely happy to consolidate a top 6 spot and see where the chips fall.

Thanks for the update though Big Trav.

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Gives some credence to the possibility of the budget being no bigger this season.

Yep Leigh Curtis etc. have gone awfully quiet on this. At the start of the summer it was all restrictions have been lifted and we'll be able to reinvest a proportion of any departures. 

I can't see where this money has gone.

5 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Yep Leigh Curtis etc. have gone awfully quiet on this. At the start of the summer it was all restrictions have been lifted and we'll be able to reinvest a proportion of any departures. 

I can't see where this money has gone.

A cynic may suggest the budget was always going to be similar just some of the ways we can spend it changed a little. Only the latter point being emphasised when selling season tickets.

This summer makes the job done by Rosenoir last summer look even more remarkable 

Edited by sage

36 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

So is the new striker signing towards the end of the window BT…if Brown is going to get 2 or 3 games to start?? Interesting that Robinson and Thommo might get starts before Bird/Conner too, bit of a shake up then 😊

I read it as Brown given a few games in pre season to impress, not first few league games? Could be wrong though! 

29 minutes ago, sage said:

Possibly. Maybe Clowes was referring to the wage budget, which will be one of the highest in this league. Did he actually say the budget had increased? 

1 minute ago, Topram said:

Unless we spend money on this 1 permanent striker then Clowes ‘very good budget’ isn’t much at all? I’m more than happy with the signings and not complaining at all, was expecting 1 or 2 few hundred thousand deals, trust the process and keep the EFL happy that's the main aim 

A good budget for L1. So that for me equates to decent (but not extravigent) wages, rather than sepnding money on transfer fees, although I do expect us to pay some loan fees this year to attract better loan players......but I know ...nothing

12 minutes ago, Diego said:

I read it as Brown given a few games in pre season to impress, not first few league games? Could be wrong though! 

Hope so. If we were to sign Rhodes - we've seen the style of play we might be aiming for - then we let Brown get some goals and experience in the less pressured U21s.

4 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Possibly. Maybe Clowes was referring to the wage budget, which will be one of the highest in this league. Did he actually say the budget had increased? 

The term used was 'relaxed'

Has the wage budget increased?

I'm not suggesting a return to MM ways, or demanding an increased budget, but I feel that supporters hopes were raised beyond the actual plan. 

The budget is marginally bigger... relative to other teams in the league. I'm guessing Sheff Weds & Ipswich will have had bigger L1 budgets last season than Wigan & Blackpool will have this.  Reading might have a decent budget, despite their apparent peril, which could be higher than Plymouth's?

Whatever the case, it'll be near the top of the league and it's been declared a good enough budget for a team wanting promotion so minimum top 6 - even without that comment there's simply no reason to think that there are 6 teams with larger budgets than us - and our choice of manager should give us a leg up over the competition even if they have similar or slightly higher budgets than ours.

4 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

A good budget for L1. So that for me equates to decent (but not extravigent) wages, rather than sepnding money on transfer fees, although I do expect us to pay some loan fees this year to attract better loan players......but I know ...nothing

Hopefully we can get a better loan player now we can pay a fee 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

The term used was 'relaxed'

Has the wage budget increased?

I'm not suggesting a return to MM ways, or demanding an increased budget, but I feel that supporters hopes were raised beyond the actual plan. 

I took 'relaxed' to mean that for example if an incredible loan becomes available late on in the window, but he'd put us like £3,000 a week over budget, they'd be able to discuss increasing the budget to bring them in

Last season the budget was agreed with the EFL so if we wanted to go mildly over for a class signing that was an absolute red line (see Reading for consequences of going over) 

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

Had you heard anymore regarding Rhodes? I guess if he was due to sign and it hasn’t happened then either us, the player or Hudds have had a change of mind?

I don’t mind if we are going to go into the season with 1 more striker to go with Washington, Collins & Brown as 4th choice, I just think that we might need a younger, more current striker to fill that last spot instead. I’d be happy with Rhodes joining, but I think we’d still be short in that area. 

Only one creative number 10 coming in indicates we will be playing 2 up top, so even if we brought in Rhodes +1, over the course of the season there’s still plenty of opportunities for Brown to show what he’s got.