Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 hour ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Surely vastly affordable though on our budgets whatever they may be. 

59 minutes ago, ram59 said:

It would only be a small compensation figure though. All of the measuring criteria are quite low in his case.

Rumoured to be available for just £200-250k. Given his performances to date and just 23 years old, I would gamble on him. His versatility means he's guaranteed a decent amount of game time this season, with a long term view of taking the starting spot off Ward

6 hours ago, Carnero said:

Many people seem to be ignoring Barkhuizen as a real option.

He showed enough at Preston and in flashes last season to suggest that he could be a big player at this level.

Hopefully a good pre season will give him the required fitness levels to perform more consistently next season.

Barkhuizen has some good quality at times, others he struggles to get himself in the game. Very common with wide attackers. I do think if you can get him in the game then he does offer quality, his problem is getting himself into the game and into a rhythm. 

I thought a lot of his crosses were dangerous, often quick, well hit and good placement. He’s probably the best crosser of the ball in our side, but just doesn’t get himself into the game enough and you can tend to tell rather quickly if it’s going to be his day or not. Definitely worth keeping around, but wouldn’t put any money on him being a key player for us.

2 hours ago, jimbobram said:

I hope a club of our ambition sign players for their football ability over their throwing ability 

I'm all for a long throw merchant joining.   We give possession away from at least half of our throw ins in the final third so may as well throw the ball into the box and make the opposition defend.  It feels like it would be a prime Warne tactic too so surprised we didn't try it last season.

Evening all,

Alan Nixon who gets about 25% things right  said on Friday in one of his articles we are talking to Mark Harris. A striker who turned down a new deal at Cardiff and also believes it’s between us and Hull City for Sonny Bradley. I asked him about Bradley before and he believes the decision should/needs to be this week.  

1 minute ago, JohnoDCFC said:

Evening all,

Alan Nixon who gets about 25% things right  said on Friday in one of his articles we are talking to Mark Harris. A striker who turned down a new deal at Cardiff and also believes it’s between us and Hull City for Sonny Bradley. I asked him about Bradley before and he believes the decision should/needs to be this week.  

👍

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

👍

Nixon was quite confusing because he said in his article that we’ve made an offer to Harris but then said it’s only talks when questioned about it. Might just be a load of rubbish 

11 minutes ago, JohnoDCFC said:

Nixon was quite confusing because he said in his article that we’ve made an offer to Harris but then said it’s only talks when questioned about it. Might just be a load of rubbish 

I'm sure Nixon hears stuff but with us it's not as often as it perhaps used to be. We seem to be running a tight-ish ship rumour-wise.

On 27/06/2023 at 17:20, Kokosnuss said:

...so the question remains, just what is it stopping Bird (barring brief flashes) showing this ability for any sustained period of time? Why didn't he continue to 'kick on' in this regard as the season went on, even under Warne?

We know he can do it, he knows he can do it, Warne knows he can do it... what's stopping him?

(Again that's not to say he didn't provide a valuable contribution throughout the season, but we're talking about him really asserting his presence, taking games by the scruff of the neck)

By being played too deep. Yet again we have “The Derby Way” bring played out in front of our eyes. He should be played further forwards and given the freedom to run at defences because when he does that it causes havoc in the opposition. 

Similarly with Sibley. His strength is in the number 10 role. Admittedly the left back period was enforced by squad size and shortages, but even in previous seasons when he wasn’t being wasted on the bench he was out if position or playing bit parts. When he did get the chance to run at the defence he caused problems. We did it with Weimann - strong as a central striker, so we stuck him on the wing and he didn’t score many. Bristol played him centrally and he scored regularly. It actually isn’t rocket science.

We did it with Will Hughes, Georgi Kinkladze, and it stretches all the way back to Lee Holmes who I am sure never became the player he should have been because we got inside his head and made a mess of it with how we treated him.

Actually all we can do us wait and see what Warne churns up for us. After all many of us thought he would make us all-out hoofball merchants, but actually played some really good football at times.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm sure Nixon hears stuff but with us it's not as often as it perhaps used to be. We seem to be running a tight-ish ship rumour-wise.

Nixon does have contacts and where he does he's pretty accurate, currently nothing with Derby. For Derby he only knows if the player is with a club he has contacts with otherwise it's based on Twitter. There have been very few Rams transfer stories on his Pateron account.