Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Squad Size

We may have fewer numbers than last season, but a number of those were only here for half a season, and one player was unavailable to even be in the matchday squad for 85% of the season. Let's look at the numbers in detail...

We used 22 players in the league last season. This was then boosted by a number of U21 squad members for cup games. Excluding 2nd and 3rd choice keepers, we're currently 4 players down on last season (3 once Waghorn signs).

We can split the season in two, since the squad is adjusted in the January window.

In the first half of the season, we used 20 different players. With the exception of just 1 game, it was a case of either Davies or Rooney in the squad. 6 out of the 7 occasions Chester appeared in the matchday squad came in the first half of the season, so on the whole, he's hardly worthy of consideration. We essentially had an 18/19 man squad in the first half of the season, so in terms of depth, we're on par, with the view to still adding 2 or 3 more players later this month.

For the second half of the season, the only new additions to feature on the pitch were White and Springett. However, Osula returned to Sheff Utd, Stearman was no longer used, and Thompson eventually went out on loan. Once again, we basically ended up with a 19 man squad.

Warne stated he wanted a 20-22 man squad. Well, with the additions Warne still plans to make to the squad, we'll be at 22.

Squad Age

I'm sure Warne underestimated how difficult it was for us to add under 30s to the squad. We started last season with 10 players in the squad who were 30 or older, and we currently have 10 players aged 30 or over. The average age of those has decreased from 32.8 to 31.9. 

We have Wilson, Bird, Sibley, Cashin, Thompson and Rooney in the first team squad who are 23 or younger. More than just the 3 you're suggesting we have. That could be 3 out of our back 5 sorted, 2 CMs, and 1 AM, forming our spine for years to come. Wildsmith, Vickers, Ward and Elder are still in their prime years too.

I'm not sure why you're making it sound like other clubs (from a higher division) bidding for our players is a bad thing. It proves they're actually good players. Whilst it was sad to see Knight leave, I expect the other three to remain with us this season. None of them want to be playing in L1, so it's understandable that they may be reluctant to sign new deals at this stage. It may also be a case of us waiting to see how much budget we have left after signing our remaining targets before we offer them new deals. Cashin in particular will be due a big pay rise.

It'll be steady progress and small tweaks to the squad each season. We're unlikely to see major overhauls and finish a summer with exactly the squad we want and at perfect ages for a number of years. It'll only be a couple of additions each season who will be at the right age and stay long enough for us to build a top squad again.

It took Clough 5 summers to build 13/14 squad. We never signed a lot of key players in any one season, but along the way wee still signed: Barker and Buxton (09/10), Brayford (10/11), Bryson, Ward and Shackell (11/12), Keogh (12/13), Russell, Forsyth, Grant, Martin and Eustace (13/14). The only key player who was signed over 30 was Eustace, however, we still signed other older players during those seasons  to fill gaps until we could find a suitable player in their prime years. 

I imagine we'll start to see similar recruitment from next summer, where the majority of defensive signings at 26-30, and midfield and forward signings are 23-27.

He needs another year in this league learning how not crawl up a strikers arse when they have some pace.  The way he plays he will get or give out a bad head injury soon as well. It's very evident in the first 15 minutes of games where it's all action and little control. He could be good if he gets some coaching on this but some of the strikers at the next step up will eat him alive at the minute.  That's the reality.  He'll get a big rise if he gets better.   

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Squad Size

We may have fewer numbers than last season, but a number of those were only here for half a season, and one player was unavailable to even be in the matchday squad for 85% of the season. Let's look at the numbers in detail...

We used 22 players in the league last season. This was then boosted by a number of U21 squad members for cup games. Excluding 2nd and 3rd choice keepers, we're currently 4 players down on last season (3 once Waghorn signs).

We can split the season in two, since the squad is adjusted in the January window.

In the first half of the season, we used 20 different players. With the exception of just 1 game, it was a case of either Davies or Rooney in the squad. 6 out of the 7 occasions Chester appeared in the matchday squad came in the first half of the season, so on the whole, he's hardly worthy of consideration. We essentially had an 18/19 man squad in the first half of the season, so in terms of depth, we're on par, with the view to still adding 2 or 3 more players later this month.

For the second half of the season, the only new additions to feature on the pitch were White and Springett. However, Osula returned to Sheff Utd, Stearman was no longer used, and Thompson eventually went out on loan. Once again, we basically ended up with a 19 man squad.

Warne stated he wanted a 20-22 man squad. Well, with the additions Warne still plans to make to the squad, we'll be at 22.

Some lovely spin and creative accounting. Not counting squad players who were largely injured or not picked so much is preposterous. Thompson didn't go on loan for instance till March 21st. You seem so confident no one will be injured this season. I will be happier if we make the 4 additions Warne wants but it is worrying that Warne has cast doubt on being able to bring all 4 in. His words were, if we bring 3 or 4 in, only one of them would be really good. Again. before the pitchforks are gathered, this is a concern not a criticism. I flagged an apparent disparity between the budget that was implied and the actuality.  The news about the Jozwiak payments seem to explain this. This news suggests we are around £1.5m down from where we thought we would be a month ago. Now that is concerning. That £1.5m could have given us the squad Warne wanted. 

Squad Age

I'm sure Warne underestimated how difficult it was for us to add under 30s to the squad. We started last season with 10 players in the squad who were 30 or older, and we currently have 10 players aged 30 or over. The average age of those has decreased from 32.8 to 31.9. 

We have Wilson, Bird, Sibley, Cashin, Thompson and Rooney in the first team squad who are 23 or younger. More than just the 3 you're suggesting we have. That could be 3 out of our back 5 sorted, 2 CMs, and 1 AM, forming our spine for years to come. Wildsmith, Vickers, Ward and Elder are still in their prime years too.

I'm not sure why you're making it sound like other clubs (from a higher division) bidding for our players is a bad thing. It proves they're actually good players. Whilst it was sad to see Knight leave, I expect the other three to remain with us this season. None of them want to be playing in L1, so it's understandable that they may be reluctant to sign new deals at this stage. It may also be a case of us waiting to see how much budget we have left after signing our remaining targets before we offer them new deals. Cashin in particular will be due a big pay rise.

Not being concerned that 1 or our best 4 young players has gone and the others are now into the last year of their contract is ridiculous. It's concerning that the Bird bid was met with 'that's not enough' not 'he's not for sale' 

It'll be steady progress and small tweaks to the squad each season. We're unlikely to see major overhauls and finish a summer with exactly the squad we want and at perfect ages for a number of years. It'll only be a couple of additions each season who will be at the right age and stay long enough for us to build a top squad again.

It took Clough 5 summers to build 13/14 squad. We never signed a lot of key players in any one season, but along the way wee still signed: Barker and Buxton (09/10), Brayford (10/11), Bryson, Ward and Shackell (11/12), Keogh (12/13), Russell, Forsyth, Grant, Martin and Eustace (13/14). The only key player who was signed over 30 was Eustace, however, we still signed other older players during those seasons  to fill gaps until we could find a suitable player in their prime years. 

I imagine we'll start to see similar recruitment from next summer, where the majority of defensive signings at 26-30, and midfield and forward signings are 23-27.

I'm hopeful that it will be easier to sign young players next season. We will need to to play Warne's style.  

35 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

There was only this bit of your post I didn't quite follow mate.

Which is remarkable given my ongoing senility......

How many young players have we got left?

Are you and I counted among them?

I missed out the word 'star' i was referring to Knight Sibley Bird  and Cashin. The established young players. ie not Thommo and Rooney

My ideal transfer window from now would be:

LWB - George Cox (was on trail at Hull)

CM - Tom Davies (training at Bristol Rovers, completely unrealistic but you never know hahah) 

10 - Jamie McGrath (Ireland international, and did well in Scotland) 

9 - Assombolonga (wages might be too high) 

9 - Benik afobe ( Again wages might be too high) 

Backup - Waggy 

2 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

CM - Tom Davies (training at Bristol Rovers, completely unrealistic but you never know hahah) 

Backup - Waggy 

You dropping a hint there @Big Trav 😉.

31 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Backup - Waggy 

So you didn’t hear anything about Smith BT…

5 hours ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Matt Penney (LWB) - Free agent
Andrew Moran (CAM) - Loan
Michael Smith (ST) - Loan with option to buy

Those 3 signings (or similar) in the next couple of weeks and I reckon we'll have had a bloody good transfer window!

That would be a no from me, nowhere near the level we want to be at. Would take the other 2 though.

On 25/07/2023 at 11:05, Chester40 said:

Looks like you joined to post this? In with a bang!

Are you his Dad??

Shocking injury record.

Don't know the stats but apart from a couple of run of games he's been bit part and/or injured everywhere he's been.

See him as similar to Waghorn but with no loyalty /affection for the club.  

No citation- in before its locked!

PS welcome 😀

PPS Christ, the mods are quick today 

well he was scoring and that what we need