Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

14 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Might be worth considering Josh Maja, George Cox, Han-Noah Massengo,  Fankaty Dabo, Todd Kane, Steven Caulker and Ross Barkley.

Never knew there was another footballer by that name…only come across the ex England international 😊. Who does he play for 😆

24 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Ross Barkley 😂

Have you not been given a software update yet?

Wow, you're certainly not holding back. It's almost like you're auditioning for a spot on a reality TV show. Good luck with that!

A couple of posters (and Warne) have commented about the need for another body in midfield, so I thought I’d trawl through the free agent list on the sometimes inaccurate and unreliable transfermarkt to put together a list for discussion. I don’t know great detail about many of these, it is very much a face value list with a few observations thrown in. I’m not necessarily advocating for the signing of any of them (though the lad who’s been playing in Belgium or Adeniran appeal), and I’ve written the list myself rather than fielding any accusations of being/using AI to do so 😉 

The idea being an opportunity to chat about the potential solutions rather than the apparent problem itself, some more realistic than others;

Midfielders

Josh Onomah (26), most recently played in the championship for Preston

Adam Forshaw (31) just left Leeds, loads of experience at champ and premier league level, no idea of his injury history or qualities. 

Matty Longstaff (23) left Newcastle, scored a screamer on his debut for them but not done much since, was on loan at a couple of league two sides the last couple of years. Right age but maybe not as good as his early promise implied?

Leandro Bacuna (31) left Watford in the summer, played plenty of games in the champ and some in the prem for Cardiff, Villa and Reading

Luke Amos (26) left QPR in the summer after a few years, possibly more of a defensive midfielder? 

Stefan Johansen (32) left QPR in the summer, was a beast in that Fulham midfield a few years back, no idea if he’s still got it. 

Sean Goss (27), left Motherwell after a couple of years in the Scottish prem. formerly played league one at Shrewsbury. Is 6ft 3in so would add another physical presence to the spine, know nothing else about him.

Cameron McGeehan (28), he’s an interesting one, been playing in Belgium’s top flight for 3 years, before that played league one and two football for Portsmouth, Barnsley and Luton. Scored double figures in a couple of his league two seasons for Luton and 6 one season for Barnsley in league one. 4 goals in 21 games last season.

Dennis Adeniran (24) left the Wendies in the summer. Looks to have been a squad option for them playing mid 20s for appearances in the last couple of seasons, unless down to injury? Good age and might not have high demands.

Jamie McGrath (26) left Wigan the other day after cancelling his contract on legal grounds. Goals and assists from midfield in the Scottish Premiership, current Irish international.

Sam Clucas (32) left Stoke, good player for Hull and Swansea a few years back, can play left side of defence. (As a side note my phone autocorrected his surname to Clubcard for a moment, other supermarket loyalty schemes are available.)

Jack Colback (33) 🤮 

There are others, I got bored and also moaned at by the Mrs, but mainly bored. I looked for players UK based or likely to qualify to play in the UK rather than any of the European options as realistically I don’t think we fish in those waters even if we should.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

42 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

A couple of posters (and Warne) have commented about the need for another body in midfield, so I thought I’d trawl through the free agent list on the sometimes inaccurate and unreliable transfermarkt to put together a list for discussion. I don’t know great detail about many of these, it is very much a face value list with a few observations thrown in. I’m not necessarily advocating for the signing of any of them (though the lad who’s been playing in Belgium or Adeniran appeal), and I’ve written the list myself rather than fielding any accusations of being/using AI to do so 😉 

The idea being an opportunity to chat about the potential solutions rather than the apparent problem itself, some more realistic than others;

Midfielders

Josh Onomah (26), most recently played in the championship for Preston

Adam Forshaw (31) just left Leeds, loads of experience at champ and premier league level, no idea of his injury history or qualities. 

Matty Longstaff (23) left Newcastle, scored a screamer on his debut for them but not done much since, was on loan at a couple of league two sides the last couple of years. Right age but maybe not as good as his early promise implied?

Leandro Bacuna (31) left Watford in the summer, played plenty of games in the champ and some in the prem for Cardiff, Villa and Reading

Luke Amos (26) left QPR in the summer after a few years, possibly more of a defensive midfielder? 

Stefan Johansen (32) left QPR in the summer, was a beast in that Fulham midfield a few years back, no idea if he’s still got it. 

Sean Goss (27), left Motherwell after a couple of years in the Scottish prem. formerly played league one at Shrewsbury. Is 6ft 3in so would add another physical presence to the spine, know nothing else about him.

Cameron McGeehan (28), he’s an interesting one, been playing in Belgium’s top flight for 3 years, before that played league one and two football for Portsmouth, Barnsley and Luton. Scored double figures in a couple of his league two seasons for Luton and 6 one season for Barnsley in league one. 4 goals in 21 games last season.

Dennis Adeniran (24) left the Wendies in the summer. Looks to have been a squad option for them playing mid 20s for appearances in the last couple of seasons, unless down to injury? Good age and might not have high demands.

Jamie McGrath (26) left Wigan the other day after cancelling his contract on legal grounds. Goals and assists from midfield in the Scottish Premiership, current Irish international.

Sam Clucas (32) left Stoke, good player for Hull and Swansea a few years back, can play left side of defence. (As a side note my phone autocorrected his surname to Clubcard for a moment, other supermarket loyalty schemes are available.)

Jack Colback (33) 🤮 

There are others, I got bored and also moaned at by the Mrs, but mainly bored. I looked for players UK based or likely to qualify to play in the UK rather than any of the European options as realistically I don’t think we fish in those waters even if we should.

Great shout and I'd be amazed if we've not approached him but ,sadly,I don't think we'd be able to meet his wages.

I'm struggling to see if the aim is to build a squad for 3421 or 352. Everything early on in the summer pointed towards the former, but with injuries to attacking players and missing out on a number of targets, I can see attention shifting to a front 2. In either setup, we're looking at the same players - LWB, AM and CF. That could change if we find it easier to sign another CB and make Forsyth the backup LWB. Looking at the available wing backs, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the route we take. There's also flexibility in the midfield area. If we struggle to get an AM, we could opt to play Bird further up the pitch (as we have done in a couple of friendlies) and sign competition for Smith instead.

If 3421:
GK: Wildsmith, Vickers, Loach
RCB: Nelson, Rooney
CB: Bradley, Forsyth
LCB: Cashin
RWB: Ward, Wilson
LWB: Elder, ???
RCM: Bird, Smith
LCM: Hourihane, LThompson
RAM: Mendez-Laing, ???
LAM: Sibley, Barkhuizen
CF: Collins, Washington, ???

If we were to only sign players who are free agents, I'm struggling to see beyond this list of options:

CB - Di'Shon Bernard, Steven Caulker, Jack Whatmough
LWB - George Cox, Matt Penney
CM/AM - Dennis Adeniran, Cameron McGeehan, Caleb Watts, Daniel Batty, Jamie McGrath, Luke Amos
CF - Gary Madine, Chris Martin, Martyn Waghorn, Macauley Bonne, Billy Sharp

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If we were to only sign players who are free agents, I'm struggling to see beyond this list of options:

CM/AM - Dennis Adeniran, Cameron McGeehan, Caleb Watts, Daniel Batty, Jamie McGrath, Luke Amos

And about 1.3 million non-British players. Not sure if PW is looking at those tho.

Steven Caulker is class at this level but a) prob big wages and b) has some significant personal issues that he may or not be on top of.

32 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

And about 1.3 million non-British players. Not sure if PW is looking at those tho.

Steven Caulker is class at this level but a) prob big wages and b) has some significant personal issues that he may or not be on top of.

Been on the way down for 10 years, bet he would jump at the chance to come to us but wouldn’t want him…

33 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

And how many how aren't from UK/Ireland, would be willing to move here, would pass wp requirements, match the ability level required, accept the limited wages?

Caulker was at Wigan last season. Can't imagine him demanding too much.

19 minutes ago, beardyjim said:

I would be intrigued by Josh Maja. Probably wouldn't come to us and a bit of a 🔔🔚 by all accounts (although I may be wrong) but would offer a different option to what we have. 

Won't be able to afford him.

42 minutes ago, beardyjim said:

I would be intrigued by Josh Maja. Probably wouldn't come to us and a bit of a 🔔🔚 by all accounts (although I may be wrong) but would offer a different option to what we have. 

Aren’t Rangers and Brum leading the race to sign him?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm struggling to see if the aim is to build a squad for 3421 or 352. Everything early on in the summer pointed towards the former, but with injuries to attacking players and missing out on a number of targets, I can see attention shifting to a front 2. In either setup, we're looking at the same players - LWB, AM and CF. That could change if we find it easier to sign another CB and make Forsyth the backup LWB. Looking at the available wing backs, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the route we take. There's also flexibility in the midfield area. If we struggle to get an AM, we could opt to play Bird further up the pitch (as we have done in a couple of friendlies) and sign competition for Smith instead.

If 3421:
GK: Wildsmith, Vickers, Loach
RCB: Nelson, Rooney
CB: Bradley, Forsyth
LCB: Cashin
RWB: Ward, Wilson
LWB: Elder, ???
RCM: Bird, Smith
LCM: Hourihane, LThompson
RAM: Mendez-Laing, ???
LAM: Sibley, Barkhuizen
CF: Collins, Washington, ???

Given our playing style, Madine wouldn't be a bad option at all if his attitude is right.