Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

Im sure we have a pretty decent but im also pretty sure the business plan is not to run up debt.I would guess 20000 season ticket sales would bring in £7million at an average say of £350? On the day an away tickets and corporate would probably push that up to £10 million and from that we have to pay players and staff and HMRC run 2 complexes plus all adminstration travel training etc-Then theres agents fees etc With good financial management we could break even but it doesnt allow you to go full Mel with signings.

you can see why teams in league 1 love a good cup run and a big TV windfall.

Last thing we need is a Truss/Kwartang approach.

41 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

Im sure we have a pretty decent but im also pretty sure the business plan is not to run up debt.I would guess 20000 season ticket sales would bring in £7million at an average say of £350? On the day an away tickets and corporate would probably push that up to £10 million and from that we have to pay players and staff and HMRC run 2 complexes plus all adminstration travel training etc-Then theres agents fees etc With good financial management we could break even but it doesnt allow you to go full Mel with signings.

you can see why teams in league 1 love a good cup run and a big TV windfall.

Last thing we need is a Truss/Kwartang approach.

Our record match ticket income prior to Lampard joining was £9.1m and included an FA cup tie vs Man Utd, and playoff semis. 

£10m for 23/24 would be optimistic.

I had a little nose on transfermarkt to see what calibre of free agents are still out there (aware it’s not 100% accurate and not checking on any current transfer news/rumours around these players), and there are still options out there. Some way out of our reach but others more realistic;

Assombalonga 30 - striker

Benik Afobe 30 - striker

Lucas Joao 29 - striker

George Cox 25 - left sided defender who has been playing top flight Dutch football for a few seasons at a mid to lower table side, now on a free. Came through Brighton’s academy. Be a different option and potentially low cost for the second left wing back….admittedly I’ve never seen the lad play and this is just based on a few mins reading. EDIT - just checked news and he’s on trial at Hull.

Andre Green 24 - left sided attacker, been playing in Slovakia, was at Sheff Weds and Charlton previously scoring goals at championship level, scored 11 for Slovan Bratislava last season. EDIT - on trial at Rotherham, I really should have done more research.

Josh Martin 21 - left sided attacker left Norwich on a free, was on loan at Barnsley  last season and scored 3 in 23 games, season before was on loan at Doncaster and scored 4 in 20 games. EDIT - been on trial at Leyton Orient.

Not for a second expecting any of these to appear at the club, just found it interesting (and reassuring) that there are still players out there and some at good ages too. 
EDIT - a few on trial and maybe with deals lined up, but the point still remains there are options available out there.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I had a little nose on transfermarkt to see what calibre of free agents are still out there (aware it’s not 100% accurate and not checking on any current transfer news/rumours around these players), and there are still options out there. Some way out of our reach but others more realistic;

Assombalonga 30 - striker

Benik Afobe 30 - striker

Lucas Joao 29 - striker

George Cox 25 - left sided defender who has been playing top flight Dutch football for a few seasons at a mid to lower table side, now on a free. Came through Brighton’s academy. Be a different option and potentially low cost for the second left wing back….admittedly I’ve never seen the lad play and this is just based on a few mins reading. EDIT - just checked news and he’s on trial at Hull.

Andre Green 24 - left sided attacker, been playing in Slovakia, was at Sheff Weds and Charlton previously scoring goals at championship level, scored 11 for Slovan Bratislava last season.

Josh Martin 21 - left sided attacker left Norwich on a free, was on loan at Barnsley  last season and scored 3 in 23 games, season before was on loan at Doncaster and scored 4 in 20 games. 

Not for a second expecting any of these to appear at the club, just found it interesting (and reassuring) that there are still players out there and some at good ages too. 

Assombaloga for me joao would be unreal can but dream 

My (unrealistic) suggestions would be: 

- Josh Maja at ST (defiantly get champ move) 

- Lucas Joao (again a champ move) 

- Benik Adobe (more realistic) 

-Mendes Gomes at 10 (going Bolton :() 

- Armstrong Oko Flex (Realistic but young) 

- Josh Onomah (champ move) 

- Price Osu Owusu (big German target man, but unrealistic)

- Scott Malone ( would do a job and realistic) 

- Juan Famila- Castillo (young potential talent previously at Chelsea) 

- Tom Davies training at Bristol Rovers. If he is willing to drop down I’d take him😂

- Di Shon Bernard and Axel Tuanzebe also free for Centre half’s ( super super unrealistic) 

So Warne wants a striker, a number 10 and possibly another LWB.

That's probably the order of priority too.

The striker is more than likely Rhodes. Seen Afobe/Assombalonga mentioned too. I'd be ok with any of them.

Any idea/suggestions on who the midfielder/10 is? Bradley Dack available. But not sure he'd be a Warne type.

LWB I'm not sure at all.

5 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

So Warne wants a striker, a number 10 and possibly another LWB.

That's probably the order of priority too.

The striker is more than likely Rhodes. Seen Afobe/Assombalonga mentioned too. I'd be ok with any of them.

Any idea/suggestions on who the midfielder/10 is? Bradley Dack available. But not sure he'd be a Warne type.

LWB I'm not sure at all.

Steven Sessegnon makes sense at the LWB position, he immediately came to mind. 

Godden or Rhodes seems to be the striker choice. No idea on the number 10, same as you. Josh Onomah would make more sense than Dack, but would guess he would get a Championship club. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Steven Sessegnon makes sense at the LWB position, he immediately came to mind. 

Godden or Rhodes seems to be the striker choice. No idea on the number 10, same as you. Josh Onomah would make more sense than Dack, but would guess he would get a Championship club. 

Yeah good shout. Only thing with Sessegnon is that he's a right back.

Granted he played left wing back for Charlton but his stronger foot is his right. I think Warne would prefer a left footer there.

Godden would be my number one choice. I just think he'd command a fee and from Warne's comments the other day that doesn't look like something we'd do.

Josh Onomah would be a great signing