Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

49 minutes ago, sage said:

I got a load of abuse for pointing this out. It appears our budget for this year is the same and probably less than last year.

It is what it is and we will be still very competitive, but it feels more austere than the talk of a couple of months ago.  

Clowes hasn’t helped the situation with his interview, unfortunately. At this point, it looks like he was lying about the budget but guess we will see - maybe Warne is just trying to play it down. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Clowes hasn’t helped the situation with his interview, unfortunately. At this point, it looks like he was lying about the budget but guess we will see - maybe Warne is just trying to play it down. 

I wouldn't say 'lying', I think what he's said could well have been misconstrued (which in itself isn't great PR, but I don't think he intended to deceive)

The last quote from him was: ''"Paul has been given a budget, I think a good budget for League One that is good enough to get us out of the league. But it's football and nothing is guaranteed."

The budget may be a lump figure and we might have preferred to sign more experienced players on higher wages than pay transfer fees for younger prospects, we don't know. I agree, I think expectations regarding transfer fees should have been tempered if this is the case, but I really don't think Clowes lied...

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

You genuinely think he sat there and told a bare faced lie in an interview? I just can’t see that. This is what he said;

"Paul has been given a budget, I think a good budget for League One that is good enough to get us out of the league. But it's football and nothing is guaranteed."

Where is the lie? Paul Warne has been set a budget, one that Clowes thinks is a good budget good enough for promotion (that’s his opinion), it doesn’t say “we have x amount”, it doesn’t say “we will reinvest all funds raised from player sales”, it doesn’t even specify “transfer budget”….just that a budget has been set. People need to recognise their own interpretation and expectations don’t always equate to the facts. 

18 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I don't think he was lying. 

It was more about the loosening of embargo news that came a few days after the Sheffield Wednesday defeat.

We all needed a lift and either we all overreacted due to timing or it was oversold due to the timing.

Its all in the perception.

21 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

You genuinely think he sat there and told a bare faced lie in an interview? I just can’t see that. This is what he said;

"Paul has been given a budget, I think a good budget for League One that is good enough to get us out of the league. But it's football and nothing is guaranteed."

Where is the lie? Paul Warne has been set a budget, one that Clowes thinks is a good budget good enough for promotion (that’s his opinion), it doesn’t say “we have x amount”, it doesn’t say “we will reinvest all funds raised from player sales”, it doesn’t even specify “transfer budget”….just that a budget has been set. People need to recognise their own interpretation and expectations don’t always equate to the facts. 

I said it now sounds like he’s lying, not that he is lying. It’s a dangerous phrase to come out and say there is a decent budget, lose your top goalscorer, sell your two high earners for good money and then the manager come out and say that money won’t be reinvested. I’m not making a devil out of the man, but just pointing out that saying things like this that just don’t help the situation. 

Say nothing or just be honest about the situation. If Derby are going to be a selling club, whereby we sell players for money and buy exclusively in free agency, cast-offs and loan market then that’s absolutely fine. It is what it is. 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I said it now sounds like he’s lying, not that he is lying. It’s a dangerous phrase to come out and say there is a decent budget, lose your top goalscorer, sell your two high earners for good money and then the manager come out and say that money won’t be reinvested. I’m not making a devil out of the man, but just pointing out that saying things like this that just don’t help the situation. 

Say nothing or just be honest about the situation. If Derby are going to be a selling club, whereby we sell players for money and buy exclusively in free agency, cast-offs and loan market then that’s absolutely fine. It is what it is. 

But we have got a decent budget - how many signings have we made? And theoretically we could make more. How is that not a decent budget? There's always some who expect to spend millions on Clarke-Harris or some other. But who seriously believed we could add to squad numbers and spend silly money (unless it's on wages)?

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Sounds maybe we are priced out of the market for permanent forwards , perhaps the money will be put towards loan of a promising youngster from a Prem club ? ....Time will tell ?

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

No one has actually said that. All Warne has hinted at is that he prefers to spend the increased budget towards player wages than a transfer budget. Ie. 2 free signings vs 1 player for a modest fee.

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

You said “at this point, it looks like he was lying about the budget”. If your meaning was it could be perceived that he was lying I didn’t pick that up from your post. 
Your comment then about “say nothing or be honest about the situation” could also be interpreted as you saying dishonesty is present in what Clowes said. As @sage has already commented, the issue seems more to be with how the Clowes interview and statements from local media outlets about restrictions changing have been interpreted by some, not what was actually said.

He’s met your expectation of being honest about the situation as he believes the club has a good budget. There’s nothing dishonest there that I can see. 

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

@sage has already commented, the issue seems more to be with how the Clowes interview and statements from local media outlets about restrictions changing have been interpreted by some, not what was actually said.

The goes a little further than what I said. Whether we overreacted or it was oversold could be down to perception. 

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But we have got a decent budget - how many signings have we made? And theoretically we could make more. How is that not a decent budget? There's always some who expect to spend millions on Clarke-Harris or some other. But who seriously believed we could add to squad numbers and spend silly money (unless it's on wages)?

The wage bill should be decent considering the revenue, that’s before player sales. I don’t think anyone really anticipated Clarke-Harris but there’s definitely a grey area between Clarke-Harris and no one. If the budget was so restrictive, I’d have also looked at spreading out the costs and going for more inexperienced players (like Smith, Rodrigues, etc) because it looks like we’re planning on going into the season with a similarly smaller squad, obviously the likes of Davies, Chester and others had injuries. However, we are going to need to be almost perfect at avoiding injuries not for them to have a catastrophic impact on our season. I already can guess that we will lose at least one player for the season early on, along with niggling injuries - we’ve already had 6 of 14 senior players out injured for a preseason friendly (discounting Thompson and Rooney as senior players). 

To me, it looks like Derby’s squad will be of a similar build to last season albeit with a bit more balance across the team. Unless the plan is 3 more permanent players, with the rest coming in the loan market, but sounds like Warne wants 2 and could struggle with a third. It leaves us 3 to 4 players short in my opinion, without having paid anything in transfer fees. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

I don't think he was lying. 

It was more about the loosening of embargo news that came a few days after the Sheffield Wednesday defeat.

We all needed a lift and either we all overreacted due to timing or it was oversold due to the timing.

Its all in the perception.

And isn't it David Clowes perception that the budget is "good for this league".

He presumably cannot know this so it is his judgement.

14 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

...To me, it looks like Derby’s squad will be of a similar build to last season albeit with a bit more balance across the team. Unless the plan is 3 more permanent players, with the rest coming in the loan market, but sounds like Warne wants 2 and could struggle with a third. It leaves us 3 to 4 players short in my opinion, without having paid anything in transfer fees. 

How do you know that replacing squad members hasn't cost more than last season? We are still 3 or 4 players short says Warne too, so we can afford them, it's just finding appropriate ones. So why isn't the budget decent - do we have to pay transfer fees for it to be decent? 

15 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

And isn't it David Clowes perception that the budget is "good for this league".

He presumably cannot know this so it is his judgement.

As I stated earlier, I was referring to the embargo loosening statement.

In business, a budget is the planned spend so DC prob meant total available funds for transfers, wages, agents fees, etc. If PW decides to spend some of that budget on a transfer then he has less for wages for other players so you're right, it is about perception and an understanding of what a budget means.

PW is a obviously a sensible bloke so I don't think he'll push for more budget or take the proverbial as wee Billy Davies did. Look what good his attitude did him in terms of his career... Obviously a decent manager (for us, a least although I never hear a player say nice things about him) but a proper horrible little bloke.

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

What “dismantling”?! Your take on things uses such odd and alarmist language at times.
We allowed 3 experienced cbs to leave at the expiry of their contracts and signed 2 younger but seemingly just as capable replacements, and added a youngster to the academy at cb following his deal expiring at a premier league club. 

A backup goalkeeper left at the end of his loan and we’ve signed a permanent replacement on a 3 year deal.

We’ve allowed the one right back we had to go out on loan for experience and signed two proper right sided wing backs at a peak age therefore strengthening the squad in this position as we were playing 2 midfielders there last year.

A promising premier league loanee who could play on the left of defence returned to his parent club and upon the expiry of his contract signed for a team in the league above. We’ve signed a 28 year old Lwb in Elder who is in his peak years, has experience at this level and the league above and the last time he was in league one he ended up on the team of the year as his club went up as champions and he provided a hatful of assists along the way.

Knight and McGoldrick are the two big losses from last seasons squad. There’s been no “dismantling”. Knight left for a reasonable amount of money to a club in the league above, we’ve replaced him at rwb from last seasons squad and still have options in midfield. Knight’s big asset was his energy right? Running and pressing, the whole team is being drilled in this way with Ward and Wilson likely offering as much if not more tangible output in an immediate sense down the right than Knight did (this isn’t me doing Knight down but we have some elements of what he offered in the squad).

McGoldrick’s touch, vision, intelligence and goals are a loss. We’ve added a more industrious option in Washington and are looking to add another striker. We won’t match McGoldrick’s class but we’ll most likely have another body at the sharp end of the pitch working hard and getting on the end of chances.
It’s really not the disaster you seem repeatedly intent to profess.

EDIT - And the other premier league loanees we had were allegedly not up to much according to a lot of our fans. The only real loss in terms of output is Dobbin and as much as I liked him even I can admit to his inconsistencies. 

Frustrated Head GIF

David Clowes has stated that he wishes the club to be run with integrity. I totally trust him (as should every other Rams fan after what he has done for this Club). There are no “lies” being told and anyone suggesting that is the case should be ashamed.

We have already signed several excellent players to improve areas where we were deficient last year. Having seen yesterday’s performance where Sonny Bradley was absolutely outstanding and Nelson not far behind, I can’t imagine anyone is disappointed with their signings. One has left a club promoted to the Premier League, the other to the Championship. Although we have not seen much of him yet we have also signed Elder from a Championship side. I would imagine they all had plenty of offers and that their wages will be significant compared to those who have left (probably except Beilik). Also signed other good players where wages are likely to be high and probably had to pay good agents fees, if we are now allowed.

we still have 2 weeks to go! Warne will get his man/men, even if in the Loan market. Stop panicking.

BUT please do not question the integrity of the man who has saved this Club and has clearly outlined his vision for the future.