Club Captain next season?

DiggerB

Don’t buy that Bird isn’t a good captain. Unless my maths is wrong he captained the side for 17 of the 19 game unbeaten streak, the only games he wasn’t captain for during that period was the final 2 games of that run when Davies came back in because of Cashin’s injury, was even people calling him ‘captain fantastic’ after the goal at Cheltenham. So Bird would be my pick, though I can see the merit behind Forsyth as club captain with Bird carrying on as vice captain.

8 hours ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

Don’t buy that Bird isn’t a good captain. Unless my maths is wrong he captained the side for 17 of the 19 game unbeaten streak, the only games he wasn’t captain for during that period was the final 2 games of that run when Davies came back in because of Cashin’s injury, was even people calling him ‘captain fantastic’ after the goal at Cheltenham. So Bird would be my pick, though I can see the merit behind Forsyth as club captain with Bird carrying on as vice captain.

Captain just means who shakes hands at the start and is at the front of queue out the tunnel. Whether you have a bit of extra fabric round your arm or not, your leadership will be the same. You’ll speak to team mates the same, you’ll act the same during that 90mins. Captain is one of the most overblown things in football. Could it give a player a little bit more confidence? Yeah, maybe, but that’s about it. 

On 12/05/2023 at 15:51, Kinder said:

I’d definitely make Fozzy club captain, partly for sentimental reasons but he’s also hugely experienced, a leader and I’m sure someone the younger players look up to. When he’s not playing, it’ll be our new sh1thouse centre half or sh1thouse centre mid.

I’d echo this. Club captain is different to team captain isn’t it? 

Forsyth has been here 10 years and knows the club inside and out. Be perfect as a club captain. 

Without being involved in the day to day activities at the club then it’s impossible to say who should or shouldn’t be captain. 

Listening to a Undr the Cosh podcasts, a lot of former players always point to players coming in and being made captain when they aren’t even established in the dressing room as a massive problem. I can’t remember who it was, but one player mentioned he went to a club and was made captain straight away - players just hated him from day one, he hated the decision and the entire move was a massive disaster.

The captain will naturally make himself known during preseason. Warne has already referenced Bird as the leader of the young players, it sounds like he acts like a captain if he doesn’t seem to embody what a captain is on the pitch. 

On 12/05/2023 at 08:12, Tamworthram said:

Nah. Not for me. Your captain doesn’t have to be your best player. It needs to be someone with the right personality to lead the team through communication and guidance rather than by example. I love McG to bits and think he probably does have these attributes but perhaps not strong enough to be captain. If he stays at the club I’d rather he continued to focus on his own wizardry rather than leading the team.

I agree with others, our new captain probably isn’t at the club yet.

Exactly so.  He has a job to do as tallisman/playmaker.  Giving him extra responsibilities would be counter productive. 

10 hours ago, norwichram said:

I agree that who wears an armband on the pitch doesn’t matter so much but doesn’t the captain have behind the scenes responsibilities- welcoming new players, advising younger players, club functions etc? 
Great communication with PW, his staff and DC/SP? 

That's right.

He also has to write the log. 

8 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

It has to be Craig Forsyth 

But is he assured of a first team place?

We are certainly looking for a new CB.

Assuming Cashin stays, he will start. I think Forsyth is a useful squad player but if we have true ambition, probably not a regular starter.

We saw in this past season that his form dipped as a result of the sheer number of games he had to play.

Another year older, he’s not going to find that energy.

23 hours ago, norwichram said:

I agree that who wears an armband on the pitch doesn’t matter so much but doesn’t the captain have behind the scenes responsibilities- welcoming new players, advising younger players, club functions etc? 
Great communication with PW, his staff and DC/SP? 

That "liaison" role was Stearman's last season.

13 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

When I was captain nobody listened to a word I said and when I wasn’t captain I didn’t listen to a word he said…think being captain and its influence is very much overrated 🤔

Cloughie used to say, and you wouldn't argue with him, that the Captain was his "man in the middle". There to cajole, rollock etc and to affect how we were playing. Come HT Cloughie would have his two pennyworth and then it was back to the captain on the park to sort things...