Is PP becoming second rate?

Bris Vegas

43 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I've made several posts on this thread, and others. Many just missed the point completely, which is understandable when you don't like what you're reading. I put earlier on that I still believe PP is within the top 20 stadiums in the country.

I do wonder whether that will change within the next 10 years though. And whether our stadium will fall in line with what we are becoming, a second rate club whose best years are long gone.  

I would imagine Derby fans in the 1960s thought the clubs best years were behind them.

On 13/04/2023 at 20:56, Tyler Durden said:

So on that point where is there something of cultural and social value in Derby at all?

This is very lazy. Derby is far from perfect but it has

A UNESCO World Heritage Site in the city centre with an award-winning museum at its heart.

A thriving arts scene at Quad, Deda, Derby Theatre, Babypeople and beyond.

Internationally-recognised festivals in Format, Feste, the Book Festival, and many more.

Derbion? Hideous name but it attracts 20 million visits a year.

I'm not excusing it's faults but let's not pretend its some sort of wasteland. 

6 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

A UNESCO World Heritage Site in the city centre with an award-winning museum at its heart.

Internationally-recognised festivals in Format, Feste, the Book Festival, and many more.

Absolutely right, but Citizen Bris, in order to create “debate,” loves engaging in a bizarre nihilism, stiring a pot with studied enthusiasm because it creates dissension. He’d have you believe it was honest chewing of the cud, but it isn’t . It’s ugly self promotion without a single iota of intellect or passion behind it.

Sorry Bris, I loath being personal but you seem to enjoy poking wasps nests .. not because you want to understand mother nature, but because you like the poo storm it creates and the attention it gives you. Have a look at your threads Bris .. always the same, a scratched record of repeating stink bombs to serve your peculiar purpose. Low rent tabloid garbage masquerading as debate. Bris has about as much journalistic integrity as those who call themselves “influencers or content creators” .. The emperors new clothes springs to mind. 

I have fallen for it which shows my weakness. I’ll try not to next time 

31 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

To the detriment of the centre that looks like a set of The Walking Dead nowadays.  Truly a dump and the last vestage of what was once a City Centre is slowly decaying and emptying with the Market place, Assembly rooms, Bennetts, Foulds, Birds etc all gone or not fit for purpose..is that Waterfall monstrosity ever going to run again or remain as a permanent urinal for emptying time at Walkabout.  A shame and pretty irreversible.  

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

To the detriment of the centre that looks like a set of The Walking Dead nowadays.  Truly a dump and the last vestage of what was once a City Centre is slowly decaying and emptying with the Market place, Assembly rooms, Bennetts, Foulds, Birds etc all gone or not fit for purpose..is that Waterfall monstrosity ever going to run again or remain as a permanent urinal for emptying time at Walkabout.  A shame and pretty irreversible.  

The decline of Sadlergate is pretty stark too, from what it was. 

When I last lived in Derby, as an 18 year old, it was pretty much the centre of everything, day and  night. 

Now, it's pretty much like any other street in the City Centre.

Just now, Rev said:

When I last lived in Derby, as an 18 year old, it was pretty much the centre of everything, day and  night. 

Miss them days.  Bank holiday Monday down Sadlergate was packed from 11 o'clock.  

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I've made several posts on this thread, and others. Many just missed the point completely, which is understandable when you don't like what you're reading. I put earlier on that I still believe PP is within the top 20 stadiums in the country.

I do wonder whether that will change within the next 10 years though. And whether our stadium will fall in line with what we are becoming, a second rate club whose best years are long gone.  

Jeez, “second rate club whose best years are long gone”. If that’s how you feel hand your season ticket in now and walk away.

Although, It’s a good job my dad didn’t do that in the 50’s when Derby were in the third division north, otherwise he’d have missed out on two league championships…

I count myself as a realist, a Mr. Glass Half Empty sometimes, but man alive, you take the prize!

9 hours ago, TomBustler1884 said:

If you're having to dredge up a shopping centre to justify your point then think that says it all.

Having lived in both Derby and Nottingham for 10 years plus I like to consider I am able to make an informed decision which one of the two are the bigger dumps, and Derby just about shades it. 

That's not being lazy, that's just fact. 

Basically Derby has a number of niche activities / groups for those into the arts , some very good once-a-year events, a couple of places to tick off a list to say you've seen (but are unlikely to return to that regularly), a handful of decent independent eateries / bars and a shopping centre that offers the same things that most other shopping centres offer, and an excellent real ale / pub scene (even if lacking somewhat in the keg scene).

The upcoming gig venue is, I hope, going to be a big boon even though it probably won't attract the sport of bands I'd make a habit of going to see (but that's on me and my tastes).  The accommodation  / public space (although please don't try to make out that having a gym in the apartment block is some sort of wow factor) near it could be very good if used well throughout the year for holding different events. Sounds promising.

I don't actually mean to knock these things - they are clearly good reasons to come and visit Derby but are they enough to make someone move here. It's better to have them than not, but are they unique experiences you can't get elsewhere?  (Museum of Making probably is, but again how often are people going to make a repeat visit?)

Regardless, they all provide 'a start'. It's all something to build on, and we clearly have some good people enthusiastic about doing just that so good luck to them.

Edited by Kokosnuss

8 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

If you're having to dredge up a shopping centre to justify your point then think that says it all.

Having lived in both Derby and Nottingham for 10 years plus I like to consider I am able to make an informed decision which one of the two are the bigger dumps, and Derby just about shades it. 

That's not being lazy, that's just fact. 

It's not lazy to say both cities need a lot of improvement. To say there is absolutely nothing going on here is.

You make a good point though. Not long ago, Nottingham was seen as a thriving city, whereas their city leaders have massively taken their eyes off the ball over the last few years, and it now needs a lot of work too.

I am an optimist - I think Derby in the next 5 years will see significant improvements from a building perspective. Whether that's enough to convince people to live, work and spend in the city will remain to be seen. But without people using the city centre, there is no incentive for businesses, shops, restaurants, and activities to open there. Without those things, there is no incentive to live here. It's very much chicken and egg!

16 hours ago, Rev said:

Sadlergate is cyclical and no doubt, it's struggling at the moment. Needs a new burst of life which Karl Shaw is trying very hard to inject at the moment with his MrShaw and Reminisce bits.

As a visitor to rather than resident of Derby these day, I'd agree that the City Centre is looking a bit shabby and run down these days (in places at least) but I live in the North West and it's just much like many other towns and cities up here really and no doubt across large parts of the country. For a variety of reasons town and city centres and 'The High Street' are facing a huge challenges and are definitely showing the strain. It's certainly not a uniquely Derby thing by any means though.

As for DCFC, Well our stadium is older than some nice new stadiums and not quite as shiny these days. No great surprise really. It's still a great facility though by the standards of the vast majority of the football Leagues and something that we can still be proud of. Sure, it could do with a bit of TLC and maybe it'll get it at some stage now we are no longer firefighting seemingly endless financial calamities.

Back on topic from me, stadium definitely needs a bit of love when the club feels able to do it.

I note the washing and paint its getting outside, hopefully that continues. I would love to see their catering facilities improved, we should be sourcing local and offering better options. That FootyScran account on Twitter puts us to shame. Then look at seating improvements, safe standing, and a vastly improved fan park.

But it sounds like they're on it, so all good for me.

Regarding the city centre, I used to shop there regularly. 

Then covid arrived  and I've managed to survive three years without visiting one Derby city centre shop or eatery. 

I've unintentionally drifted into out of town shopping with ease of access and free parking. Car parking charges in Derby are extortionate! 

I recently acquired my bus pass and it might make a difference to my future shopping habits. But with a fifteen minute walk to the nearest bus stop, it probably won't. 

59 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Back on topic from me, stadium definitely needs a bit of love when the club feels able to do it.

I note the washing and paint its getting outside, hopefully that continues. I would love to see their catering facilities improved, we should be sourcing local and offering better options. That FootyScran account on Twitter puts us to shame. Then look at seating improvements, safe standing, and a vastly improved fan park.

But it sounds like they're on it, so all good for me.

It would be nice if they could look at the concourses as well. 
I dread to think how long it would take to get everybody out in the event of an emergency.

Everyone has to shuffle like penguins towards two narrow sets of steps and it takes ages.

I’d love to see someone like Pret have a section where you could get a decent sandwich or baguette rather than the usual cruddy lard.

They also do coffee that doesn’t taste like Baldrick made it.

DBA145D6-F1E4-4469-BC00-285B8BEA6BF6.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

It would be nice if they could look at the concourses as well. 
I dread to think how long it would take to get everybody out in the event of an emergency.

Everyone has to shuffle like penguins towards two narrow sets of steps and it takes ages.

I’d love to see someone like Pret have a section where you could get a decent sandwich or baguette rather than the usual cruddy lard.

They also do coffee that doesn’t taste like Baldrick made it.

DBA145D6-F1E4-4469-BC00-285B8BEA6BF6.jpeg

In an emergency people would exist on to the pitch.

5 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

In an emergency people would exist on to the pitch.

I’m sure some could but if you’re in the middle or top of the stands, there’s no direct access.

I would have thought someone must calculate how long the ground takes to empty in a similar fashion to office fire drills?