Referees

Seaside Ram

11 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

This is exactly my point, the FA have not been clear in how the red card was overturned by stating “did not deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity”. Was it the tackle ? Was it the  “handball”? The FA statement does not explain clearly. 

The FA statement says Wildsmith was sent off on 2nd Sept for 'denying Bolton Wanderers a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by handling the ball' and they upheld a claim of wrongful dismissal by Derby and removed his one match ban.

The word handball is used in the statement, but not tackle.

What they haven't said was whether they overturned it as it was not a handball, or whether they still think it was a handball but not a goal scoring opportunity.

I imagine they didn't want to criticise the ref directly and publicly in the statement, so have made it deliberately ambiguous rather than saying he saw a handball when there was none.

19 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Got to remember that refs don't have the advantage of slow motion replays from every angle like we do during/after the game.

When we watch it back we're looking in minute detail at whether Joe handles it. The ref doesn't know he's about to make a decision on a handball in the moment. I can totally understand the ref making a mistake here. It's rubbish on us, but it happens.

What? When he is staring at it like it is the only thing that is happening in the whole wide world?

1 hour ago, WestKentRam said:

The FA statement says Wildsmith was sent off on 2nd Sept for 'denying Bolton Wanderers a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by handling the ball' and they upheld a claim of wrongful dismissal by Derby and removed his one match ban.

The word handball is used in the statement, but not tackle.

What they haven't said was whether they overturned it as it was not a handball, or whether they still think it was a handball but not a goal scoring opportunity.

I imagine they didn't want to criticise the ref directly and publicly in the statement, so have made it deliberately ambiguous rather than saying he saw a handball when there was none.

Absolutely spot on, sir. Apart from mentioning that maybe they were being their usual spineless, yellow-bellies!

With all this lambasting of the referee, has anyone considered that by conceding 71% possession as we did against Bolton it gives the opposition more than twice the opportunities to shoot, draw a foul, win a corner or in this case, win a penalty.

I would suggest that we are part of the problem in so far conceding so much possession of the football gives the referee’s a much greater opportunity of making a mistake to our detriment.

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

What good does keep going on about it do?

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

Please could you let me know what the maximum number of comments we’re allowed to make on any one topic is? I can’t find the number in the t’s and c’s

There is no limit.  I didn't reference any limit. I simply asked what good it does to keep going on about it.  You said we shouldn't just shrug our shoulders but what exactly can we do about it?  We have zero influence over these things.  

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

There is no limit.  I didn't reference any limit. I simply asked what good it does to keep going on about it.  You said we shouldn't just shrug our shoulders but what exactly can we do about it?  We have zero influence over these things.  

We go on about a lot of things on this forum that we have zero influence over. 
Or perhaps we have a bit of influence somewhere along the line. Maybe just maybe fan dissatisfaction with wasting time influenced this season’s changes for example. Maybe not but we should live in hope otherwise what’s the point? 

1 hour ago, chadlad said:

With all this lambasting of the referee, has anyone considered that by conceding 71% possession as we did against Bolton it gives the opposition more than twice the opportunities to shoot, draw a foul, win a corner or in this case, win a penalty.

I would suggest that we are part of the problem in so far conceding so much possession of the football gives the referee’s a much greater opportunity of making a mistake to our detriment.

Depends on where that 71% is, not when it's across the back four like we used to have.

You refer to the Bolton game, they were given 1 penalty for an incident possibly outside the box, whereas we had 4 shouts, including 2 good ones not given. Also remember we had one man less for almost half the game, not a good game to use.

2 hours ago, chadlad said:

What was the percentage possession before the sending off?

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

What? When he is staring at it like it is the only thing that is happening in the whole wide world?

The 'picture' he is seeing is a body side-on with a ball coming towards it. The distance between an area on the chest and an area of the arm will appear close, fore-shortening will occur. So he may well be staring at it, although he is turning his head following the ball - you can see he is initially staring at the player who played the ball.

So it is quite easy to be turning to look at where the ball struck Wildsmith and the foreshortening made it look like it came off arm and chest. He made a mistake is all.

On 06/09/2023 at 20:36, hintonsboots said:

Who is AL ?

I had visions of big Alan Brazil being brought in to ref our games.

It brings to mind the story of a sports teacher (Socially Distant Sports Bar podcast?) reffing a school game from his car parked on the touchline in the dark sheeting rain of winter. If he saw an infringement he'd flash his car headlights to give a decision. Would liven up our matches if the ref did this sat in a Ron Brooks Toyota parked near the dugouts.

51 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Depends on where that 71% is, not when it's across the back four like we used to have.

You refer to the Bolton game, they were given 1 penalty for an incident possibly outside the box, whereas we had 4 shouts, including 2 good ones not given. Also remember we had one man less for almost half the game, not a good game to use.

45 minutes ago, richinspain said:

What was the percentage possession before the sending off?

Missing the point…

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Spot on mate, but due to the narrative some have on here you are banging your head against the wall