The Greatest ?

loweman2

To Derby County fans of a certain age this man was God, he was our generations Kevin Hector, his name would reverberate around the Baseball Ground for many years, even long after he had left us, it was his goals that dragged us kicking and screaming up the football league, Peter Taylor’s last moment of genius to add to those many legends he had spotted years before with his mate Brian.

Bobby is a super proud man, he still doesn’t understand the cult hero status that he holds in Derby with the fans, I think that it is a sad reflection on football that he is now working as a baggage handler at Leeds airport.

He should be walking around in diamond encrusted shoes, driving his Aston Martin, he has tried numerous years to let back into the club as a coach with the youth team but that became impenetrable under a certain individual and also MM.

He worked at St George’s for the FA for a number of years.

In my eyes he is an absolute legend of Derby County, an absolute idol as a kid, when everybody else had the keegans, dalglshes and Linekers we had Bobby, we might have been in the third division but it didn’t matter !

he never missed those one on ones with the keeper, he got his head in where it hurt and he had that great 80s moustache.

so heres to you Bobby Davison, Derby loves you more than you will know !

C4270B80-E4B3-4C7E-9E3E-64B2A5D1B655.jpeg

896729E0-4C05-4C54-92CA-C08271AB1813.jpeg

878B89CC-913E-4AEC-9059-B0B9205B81D0.jpeg

2C37A368-8492-49D2-B041-BF964A86DF33.jpeg

7337CD29-DFC4-42F5-9686-707AA23DE0F1.jpeg

D1942810-18A7-49F8-B809-4D78401F7BB8.jpeg

1DBE8275-966A-4DD8-AE1E-161549A9D62B.png

FAD0DCF2-3EF8-4927-8362-ABB8732A133D.jpeg

Yep, I met him in the early 2000's and he really didn't feel much affinity with the club which was a real surprise to me. He felt Halifax and Leeds were more his clubs. He was a teeny bit cocky at the time (or perhaps I was just smarting that he didn't love Derby!) so perhaps he rubbed folk up the wrong way?

He was an agent of some sort then and was heavily involved in the Baino deal iirc so I suspect he was doing ok for income at that point. It's a shame to learn he's doing this type of job at his age.

1 hour ago, Raich Carter said:

Yep, I met him in the early 2000's and he really didn't feel much affinity with the club which was a real surprise to me. He felt Halifax and Leeds were more his clubs. He was a teeny bit cocky at the time (or perhaps I was just smarting that he didn't love Derby!) so perhaps he rubbed folk up the wrong way?

He was an agent of some sort then and was heavily involved in the Baino deal iirc so I suspect he was doing ok for income at that point. It's a shame to learn he's doing this type of job at his age.

From the interview he did with Rams TV he really seemed to have little interest in talking about his time here, reckoning he could remember nothing in particular re key moments  , other than that he was stiffed on a two year contract by Arthur Cox and the board when he came back and did very well on loan.  Reckons the deal he was promised went to Gabbiadini despite guarantees.  He seems to not quantify that 'supporters' of a club are not ' management' of a club and just looks at it the same.  I can see why he might have been aggrieved if it played out as he suggests but he does seem rather bristly and selective.

2 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

29 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

From the interview he did with Rams TV he really seemed to have little interest in talking about his time here, reckoning he could remember nothing in particular re key moments  , other than that he was stiffed on a two year contract by Arthur Cox and the board when he came back and did very well on loan.  Reckons the deal he was promised went to Gabbiadini despite guarantees.  He seems to not quantify that 'supporters' of a club are not ' management' of a club and just looks at it the same.  I can see why he might have been aggrieved if it played out as he suggests but he does seem rather bristly and selective.

is it not about what he did on the pitch ? if you went on a regular basis you could help being in awe of him, we where at the bottom of our decline and just hit the bounce on his arrival, one AC arrived he moved him from number 8 to 9 when KW left? he then stayed loyal to the club when big moves came along, Arsenal wanted him at one stage but he stayed with us to see the journey through, there is an interview from the time somewhere where he says as much, yes he probably felt bitter towards how he was treated at the end.

BD certainly lit up the BBG when he was here both times, Our lot thought he was going to stay after his loan but no, There seems a little disappointment from BD whether justified or not, He was paid well I'd have thought what he did with his loot only him and close family and friends might know, Being a baggage handler at 63 years of age isn't a healthy prospect for his future 🤷‍♀️

A player I enjoyed back in the 80s...like so many others 👍

Adored the man when he was in his pomp, smashing goals and much bigger defenders around the park.  I always got the feeling him and Arthur had a strained relationship.  Bobby absolutely loved the the fans when he was here, but maybe his eventual departures tainted his view of the club - I hope not.  After seeing the club on the brink and slipping into the old third division, these were my favourite days growing up, going home and away every week.  Football Specials, Cards, Pubs, Pork Pie, and always plenty of Beer - We seemed to have thousands of like minded lads who all came together.   Memories we cherish forever. 

Bobby has been a pundit on Radio Derby a few times in the past, but I felt he was somewhat over critical - sad to learn he is a baggage handler.  He was a pro-footballer at the wrong time. 

"So here's to you Bobby Davison, Derby loves you more than you will know !" - Great line and exactly how I feel.

Whooa Bobby Bobby ...

Cheers

Gangway D from the terrace

4 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I wished I'd never watched that interview.

The guy who ran up to us behind the goal after he scored away at Chester in the League Cup shaking his fist like he always did, seemed long gone.

I still love Whoa Bobby but he seemed to have little love for the club.

Met him this week in Q&A forum at Peacock Lounge in Allestree along with Gibo, Phil Gee and Kevin Wilson.

Absolute sound bloke, talked about 3 times as much as the others. Other insights:

Could not really remember specific goals, loved the 6 yard box ones.

Chose Derby over Arsenal as missus did not fancy London. Good lass.

Archie Gemmel was the best pro at Derby when he joined as has been an inspiration career wise.

All three had not much good to say about Arthur Cox.

Got the impression he quite liked working at Jet2 and did not seem bitter about his journey (other than when he did not get to re-sign due to Cox playing his options {Chasing Gabbiadini while telling Bobby he was about to sort it})

Edited by Dean (hick) Saunders