England - Euro 2024 qualifiers

littleover ram

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Indeed. I realized my error but too late to edit. What a waste Saha was discarded for England after two friendlies and now plays for the Ivory Coast. An amazing player.

Your having a bad night Carl it was Zaha that played for Ivory Coast, Saha was a french international 

On 18/10/2023 at 01:05, Carl Sagan said:

A penalty shootout is never a lottery. Also, I only heard recently that Saha had never taken a penalty in senior football before Southgate put him up to take the decisive one against Italy. Grounds in itself for getting rid of Southgate. With the players at his disposal we should be dominating world football, yet his lack of tactical awareness always sees us lose in tournaments when up against a better coach.

giphy.gif

21 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Cheers. Sorry you lost your shootout!

Supposedly, in the "science" of taking penalties it is never up to the player (unless they're injured). You pick your takers and the order long before, and all the players should all know what they're doing. Southgate must know all this as he seems at least a little interested in modern methods. Statistically you're most successful when you put your best penalty taker last, when there's the most pressure. If Saka only took one because he put his hand up and no one else did, Southgate should have been sacked on the spot. It's one of the strangest decisions I've ever seen in football by a manager. 

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Indeed. I realized my error but too late to edit. What a waste Saha was discarded for England after two friendlies and now plays for the Ivory Coast. An amazing player.

giphy.gif

On 18/10/2023 at 00:16, uttoxram75 said:

He was dropped for Geoff Hurst who was a decent player, but not explosive or capable of going past a defender, but who could hold the ball up and bring other players into the game. He could stop the other team attacking by keeping the ball, sticking his big arse into the defender and winning fouls, Chris Martin if you will........

Greaves was injured at the start of the tournament, and would not have been fit enough for selection until the quarter-finals anyway.

There were no substitutes allowed in either domestic or international football until 1967. You ended up patching up on-field injuries and sending them back out again. I well remember Hungary sending someone back out on the field after dislocating his shoulder against the Soviet Union (possibly Florian Albert?) in that World Cup. It would have been a huge risk to pick Greaves against Argentina in the quarter-finals only for him to break down after 20 minutes - and by then you're into the "Don't change a winning team" scenario.

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Greaves was injured at the start of the tournament, and would not have been fit enough for selection until the quarter-finals anyway.

There were no substitutes allowed in either domestic or international football until 1967. You ended up patching up on-field injuries and sending them back out again. I well remember Hungary sending someone back out on the field after dislocating his shoulder against the Soviet Union (possibly Florian Albert?) in that World Cup. It would have been a huge risk to pick Greaves against Argentina in the quarter-finals only for him to break down after 20 minutes - and by then you're into the "Don't change a winning team" scenario.

Edit:

Memories can be deceptive.

He played in the group stages, but got injured against France, suffering a shin gash which required 14 stitches.

Edited by Eddie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, angieram said:

Tomori - he's no Fozzy, is he? 😂

Lovely to see him in the team, but at left back? 

Common  Tator 😁 says Tomori at left back and TAA in midfield, But then we have Dion "and these are the stairs" Dublin saying the Maltese keeper making a good save when their player scores an OG, He didn't save it as it went in 😬

Turned it over as it's bloody rubbish☺️...now watching Dads Army...the one with the onions...making my eyes water...don't panic..don't panic 😁