Gary Lineker

Day

22 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

regarding Migrant Hotels

This is the trick isn't it? 

The UK has seemingly put the brakes (to put it mildly) on processing asylum applications. A backlog of 117k applications. Compare that to previous years

The backlog of around 117,000 applications on 30 September 2022 reflects an eighteen-fold increase compared to 30 September 2010, when it stood at 6,485. Most of this increase happened in the last four years. On 30 September 2018, the backlog stood at 24,000 applications and increased by almost five times in four years.

from https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/the-uks-asylum-backlog/

We have an obligation under international law to house these people while their applications are assessed - hence the proliferation of "migrant hotels" - which understandably riles hard-working British nationals when they see this being reported by media outlets (who know how lucrative that anger can be for their ad-click  revenue). 

But if we actually turned asylum applications around in a functional timescale, then people either get granted asylum and become fellow British citizens or they get rejected and removed. No migrant hotels, no crisis, just a functioning process

This is ALL deliberate by this government. All of it

49 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Unfortunately true, and if I was being cynical the BBC upper management played their part in doing that Friday night too. Politically it’ll be interesting, the Tories started that week with a lot of good stock over the NI agreement but they’ve quickly lost that with Braverman’s policy and could cause further damage in the next few days. So they might have a small win, but they still have to deal with the fall out of the policy 

The policy is a big win. 52% of the UK is racist. Get them illegal migrants on a plane to Rwanda. In fact, just give them a seaworthy boat, and a compass (which will drag in the environmental vote too). Braverman is playing a blinder. Build up that red wall!!

Edited by i-Ram
Can't spell environmental can I !

26 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Which is what I said in the first place where I said something along the lines of 'unless she is an expert in the field'.

There may also be people on this board that have researched the Holocaust, if so, I'd treat their opinions exactly the same as this lady's.

If she was talking about language used during her lifetime then the comparison was not to what was being said in 1930s Germany?

Shooting Jews when they dug their own graves was the 1st job, But it took to long and had an effect on the soldiers...read below if interested.

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/gassing-operations

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/07/29/ive-lost-my-job-my-livelihood-and-my-future-interview-with-rail-conductor-sacked-for-asking-do-they-have-black-privilege-in-africa/

This was a private conversation with his wife but heard on teams.

Most people who are affected by cancel culture are not celebrities but ordinary people.

Edited by cstand

11 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I wonder why so many people tuned in to watch that program that everyone has been talking about for the last few days? 

Nope taped it as I still have a beta max video recorder ?, Too much ale on a Saturday so watch Sunday Morning at my leisure and fast forward all the tosh spoken...have done for years ?? 

47 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Unfortunately true, and if I was being cynical the BBC upper management played their part in doing that Friday night too. Politically it’ll be interesting, the Tories started that week with a lot of good stock over the NI agreement but they’ve quickly lost that with Braverman’s policy and could cause further damage in the next few days. So they might have a small win, but they still have to deal with the fall out of the policy 

I think your analysis is spot on mate.

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

The policy is a big win. 52% of the UK is racist. Get them illegal migrants on a plane to Rwanda. In fact, just give them a seaworthy boat, and a compass (which will drag in the envoronmental vote too). Braverman is playing a blinder. Build up that red wall!!

The far right are inhumane to send them to Rwanda.

image.jpeg.e7e3e09e9da0a49c90f4683b0d2cd77d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.410e5ddf42e226e7d9b18899c0d9ee58.jpeg

12 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

The policy is a big win. 52% of the UK is racist. Get them illegal migrants on a plane to Rwanda. In fact, just give them a seaworthy boat, and a compass (which will drag in the environmental vote too). Braverman is playing a blinder. Build up that red wall!!

Think the 52% was just at 2016. Since then alot of people changed their minds apparently so doubt they would fall into the racist category anymore...unless they think that immigration needs a sensible discussion of course!

24 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

IS using billions so ludicrous? You don't think there are billions of people around the world who would rather be somewhere else given half the chance?  Just to be clear (which Braverman wasn't) they are not all coming here. 

Yes, when

a) at most we deal with numbers of migrants in the tens of thousands, and
b) global population stands at 8bn. Taking her quote (probably too) literally, is she really trying to say a quarter of the world's people want to be in the UK?

Braverman used that billions figure as a blatant scare tactic. To reuse an old Brexit slur, it's Project Fear.

12 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Doesn’t that law state they should seek asylum in the first safe country they get to?

There's nothing in the Geneva Convention about 'first safe country'. 

There were, however, mechanisms by which you could send migrants to other countries if they had family claiming asylum in another country. However, since we left the EU... ?‍♂️

https://fullfact.org/immigration/refugees-first-safe-country/

Edited by Animal is a Ram

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

You don’t think? I mean you can criticise Braverman by all means. Is she lying that there are 100million displaced people around the world with many many more keen to migrate? Maybe not all coming here I will grant you that but unless those numbers are made up I don’t see it as anything other than a crisis, not one unique to the Uk sure . 

Oh, f*** me! I think you might have stumbled on something here, matey! ?

31 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

This is not true on two counts.

Adrian Chiles won his case against HMRC. Took him 7 years of legal battles before HRMC agreed he was a freelancer. It's a very complicated area of law.

2nd it's not a BBC mess-up. It's applicable across all media. For example in Chiles case, he was mostly working for ITV during the period in question. Other celebs in HMRC sights over the last few years include Lorraine Kelly and Eamon Holmes for example. 

There were a lot of BBC employees who were told by the BBC to set up service companies. They then got big tax bills as Hmrc class them as employees still so the BBC had to settle on their behalf. It’s not uniquely a BBC issue, true. Martin Tyler at Sky got done as well iirc . 

44 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

You don’t think? I mean you can criticise Braverman by all means. Is she lying that there are 100million displaced people around the world with many many more keen to migrate? Maybe not all coming here I will grant you that but unless those numbers are made up I don’t see it as anything other than a crisis, not one unique to the Uk sure . 

It’s incredibly rare that I will agree with an individual like Braverman.

However I’m utterly shocked that she has actually used the correct figure here (probably a first for her).

There are 100 million displaced people looking to migrate. However the claim that they are all on the verge of coming to the U.K is utter nonsense and that’s where she’s goes back to being her utter shitehawk self. They also fail to mention that 40% of these refugees are children.

Despite the media telling us the UK is a top designation for refugees……..it isn’t. It’s not even the top “European” destination, that’s Germany by a long distance. The U.K doesn’t even make the list it’s so far down globally.

70% of migrants go to neighboring countries, from their country of origin with Turkey taking the most globally, 3.7 million.

I’m not saying there isn’t an issue. These boat crossings are dangerous and need to be stopped/reduced as much as possible, however these crossings have increased in the last couple of years, due to agreements with neighbouring counties being torn up (Le Touquet Treaty is a prime example) and not being replaced. Those seeking asylum have to be in the U.K to claim, instead of being processed in France for example, leading to the increased boat crossing to get here.

However it’s always useful to get some perspective and look at how the U.K fits in to a global issue.

https://www.unhcr.org/refugee-statistics/

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

That we adhere to international law and not criminalise refugees and asylum seekers based on their mode of transport.

Radical I know... ?

The Geneva Convention does not exclude removal of asylum-seekers to safe third countries. Asylum-seekers unlawfully present in a state can be required to seek protection in another country, but those lawfully present cannot be expelled from its territory.

Are people turning up on our shores in boats from a safe areas like France, lawfully or unlawfully seeking protection do you think?

Linekar's an idiot who has made stupid comments in the past. But being an idiot, even an idiot in public, does not warrant a suspension from hosting football programmes. In fact, I'd be more surprised if Gary did come out with a complex legal and philosophical analysis of refugees than a ham-fisted 'we're becoming nazis' tweetsode. I'm just more surprised why anyone is in the slightest bit bothered or interested in what he said.

Edited by Leeds Ram