Max Bird

Beardmm

8 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Love Max but we've been here before. 

I have a feeling he'll be highly influential this season but there was a collective jumping of the gun regarding his performances when Warne first arrived, but that wasn't sustained.

Hoping we see more of this Bird (and less of the ..crow?.. who wanted to get himself killed today!

It’s dependent on his role. Don’t make him sit as a solo DM in front of the back four and he’s a much much better player. 

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Loving the 'new' attacking Max Bird. Some lovely football on show today along with lots of hard work, closing down and tackles.

Max Bird was sublime yesterday v Stoke. 
That ball to Joe Ward from the half-way line  “inside-out-ed” the full-back; the back-heal to NML for goal #3. Pure class. Wouldn’t surprise me if Clubs show interest soon. But always thought MB’s best position was advanced midfield. If things stay like this, can see MB having his defining season and being the CPU of a team that out-footballs the rest. 

12 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Love Max but we've been here before. 

I have a feeling he'll be highly influential this season but there was a collective jumping of the gun regarding his performances when Warne first arrived, but that wasn't sustained.

Hoping we see more of this Bird (and less of the ..crow?.. who wanted to get himself killed today!

Yep - noticed the crow. Think he’d injured his wing. Stayed down in the left-wing position and almost got involved when Kane wotsit did his run. 

13 hours ago, Srg said:

It’s dependent on his role. Don’t make him sit as a solo DM in front of the back four and he’s a much much better player. 

Agree with this. I was really critical of Bird last season. I just felt a lot of games passed him by. When a player of his ability should be dominating games in this league.

He's come back looking fit and whilst it's hard to judge in pre season. Him playing more advanced suits his game.

Also don't give him captaincy or vice captain. He might have felt the weight of that. Just let him concentrate on his game 

8 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Agree with this. I was really critical of Bird last season. I just felt a lot of games passed him by. When a player of his ability should be dominating games in this league.

He's come back looking fit and whilst it's hard to judge in pre season. Him playing more advanced suits his game.

Also don't give him captaincy or vice captain. He might have felt the weight of that. Just let him concentrate on his game 

I was critical too - not that he was poor, just didn't do as much as I feel he could. The way other players talk about him shows what potential he has. He's a Derby (well, Burton) lad so I hope he doesn't let his contract run down. His dad was a Man U fan so that you'd imagine that'd be his dream move but as good as he might be, not sure he'll get to that level. This is a big season for him; hope he really shows what he's all about this year. If we go up, we might be able to keep him; if not, I imagine he'll move on but for me, needs to be a decent fee. None of this £2m malarky - he's got more promise than Knighty for sure.

12 hours ago, Ellafella said:

That ball to Joe Ward from the half-way line  “inside-out-ed” the full-back; the back-heal to NML for goal #3. Pure class. Wouldn’t surprise me if Clubs show interest soon. But always thought MB’s best position was advanced midfield. If things stay like this, can see MB having his defining season and being the CPU of a team that out-footballs the rest. 

"back-heal"   Didn't know he had hurt his back.  😉

12 hours ago, Ellafella said:

It was better than a back heel, it was a drag back with the sole of his boot, to control exactly where the ball went. Superb.

42 minutes ago, sage said:

It was better than a back heel, it was a drag back with the sole of his boot, to control exactly where the ball went. Superb.

…because a “back-heel” in the circumstance could have sent it flying off in every which way other than back 8 inches. 😮

12 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

When we went 20 games unbeaten he was the heartbeat of the team, he got injured and both us and him never looked the same. 

3 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

I was critical too - not that he was poor, just didn't do as much as I feel he could. The way other players talk about him shows what potential he has. He's a Derby (well, Burton) lad so I hope he doesn't let his contract run down. His dad was a Man U fan so that you'd imagine that'd be his dream move but as good as he might be, not sure he'll get to that level. This is a big season for him; hope he really shows what he's all about this year. If we go up, we might be able to keep him; if not, I imagine he'll move on but for me, needs to be a decent fee. None of this £2m malarky - he's got more promise than Knighty for sure.

Barton under Needwood I believe.

Can see Bird being the heart beat of the team, like he was on that 20 game unbeaten run last season, I like the fact that he was played further up the pitch yesterday , I think he has the quality to become a Premier league player one day, but his first job is to get the Rams promoted this season, and he also needs to add goals to his game, but in Bird i trust, to deliver this season, and to help the Rams achieve there goal of promotion this season. 

I don't like Bird as a holding midfielder - too many games seemed to pass him by when he was playing there last season.  Smith or Rooney would be better for me.  Although I'm not even sure we need a holding midfielder for most matches this season if Cash, Bradley and Nelson are playing.  3,4,3 seems best.  There are quite a few different ways of setting up the front three already and hopefully there'll be a couple more players to throw into the mix soon.  Happy days.