V Plymouth (a) 7th March 20.00

Boycie

41 minutes ago, ram59 said:

So, there should be about 50 penalties and 200 free kicks awarded every game?

The ref awarded a penalty but my point was about the old charge of ungentlemanly conduct, is it still in existence?

It’s the 94th minute of the play of final. There is a brushing of feet in the Ipswich box and NML (or someone) falls over. Penalty awarded. Scored. Promotion to championship.

Would there be the same outrage from posters on here? Honestly.

It wasn’t a penalty, it was given, they scored. That’s not the reason for the loss. An inability to kill off the game or adapt to a change of style was what lost the game. 

36 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

It’s the 94th minute of the play of final. There is a brushing of feet in the Ipswich box and NML (or someone) falls over. Penalty awarded. Scored. Promotion to championship.

It wasn’t a penalty, it was given, they scored. That’s not the reason for the loss. An inability to kill off the game or adapt to a change of style was what lost the game. 

I agree, almost completely, but we had done enough for a point/ they hadn’t done enough to win. So the result should not be decided by a poor refereeing decision.

23 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

….we were playing in purple….just saying…..give @DarkFruitsRam7 a shout he’ll keep you right!

After 10 mins of watching the lad from Spurs play away at Barnsley when Barnsley walked right through the middle of the pitch from the half way line to our goal, I feared the worse when I saw the team selection last night.

It’s hard work watching, it’s like being stuck in a pub with a load of youngsters / students that are trying to look the part, and are speaking loudly and annoyingly, whilst they are drinking this (see photo’s) when you’d rather be somewhere else drinking or better still they were somewhere else, (and not drinking) or you decide to escape them all, by staying at home drinking the stuff out the blue bottle instead!

268F3A4C-3755-4ACD-B1FF-36189F02FCC3.jpeg

88796E77-BAFC-4775-851D-CBC416DD71A5.jpeg

EC44741E-B8F6-45F6-8D64-38F0C329C1B1.jpeg

41755F1E-19D2-4A04-85BA-233AEE41C0FC.jpeg

Had a few beers when I wrote that - purple makes more sense!!

I agree - great in a team on the ascendancy but doesnt work against orgaised midfields.

I would have played Korey in there and found a way of making that work.  Fozzy back to LB and switch Roberts etc 

53 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

But we might have got a draw, you don’t know anymore than I do what might have happened ?

You don’t always get what you deserve in football. If you award points per half like boxing it’s a draw and a point apiece in the table. First Plymouth goal is a deflection doesn’t make it undeserving…

Look at the Port Vale game they deserved a point from that because we were awful they didn’t get one because we scored a last minute equaliser there was no pearl clutching then just celebration.

Yes that’s different to an officials decision but there have been goals scored with a hint of offfside about them and we celebrated. Maybe they had an undue impact on the game and the other team feel hard done by?

We all watch games through our own team filter and what we think we deserve is never what the other teams fans think with their filter.

IMO all I heard before this was Warne has the experience and has been here before so knows what to do, Plymouth’s manager is inexperienced and that’s his weakness. On Tuesday personally I think Schumacher was the one who showed tactically he knew what he was doing and his changes made a difference. Warne’s didn’t. 

That’s where the points were lost. 

I just think sometimes it’s hard to accept the players and the management cost us the points but in this case I have to say I think that’s the truth and to be fair that’s what PW said in all his media after the game too. 

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But we might have got a draw, you don’t know anymore than I do what might have happened ?

No I don’t that’s the beauty of football. 

But let’s not pretend we were anything other than woeful in that second half though. 

1 hour ago, ExiledinDerby said:

No I don’t that’s the beauty of football. 

But let’s not pretend we were anything other than woeful in that second half though. 

We weren't great but woeful? We were playing the team with the best home record in the country having won every game bar 2 and we restricted them to a deflected goal and a contested penalty, other than that, Wildsmith didn't have a decent attempt to save and neither did they miss any glaring chances.

Woeful best describes Man U's second half at Liverpool, conceding 6 and could easily have been more and without the help of  a deflection and a dodgy penalty.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

We weren't great but woeful? We were playing the team with the best home record in the country having won every game bar 2 and we restricted them to a deflected goal and a contested penalty, other than that, Wildsmith didn't have a decent attempt to save and neither did they miss any glaring chances.

Woeful best describes Man U's second half at Liverpool, conceding 6 and could easily have been more and without the help of  a deflection and a dodgy penalty.

We were woeful going forward.  Created virtually nothing after Barks header.  Mostly long hopeful punts upfield which just gave possession away and invited Plymouth onto us.  

27 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

We were woeful going forward.  Created virtually nothing after Barks header.  Mostly long hopeful punts upfield which just gave possession away and invited Plymouth onto us.  

biggest problem for me was it was all so predictable and we have seen it before

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

So why didn’t we get anything from the game? As for best team at home etc.. all this forum said before the game was….  small team, going to wobble, inexperienced manager, catch them for the autos… 

How many shots did we have in the second half? How much possession? How many completed passes? 

That’s the other beauty of football it’s all about opinions and mine was we were woeful in the second half. Outplayed, outfought and out thought even. 

My initial comment was on the pearl clutching and conspiracy theories around the penalty and what if the shoe was on the other foot and I stand by that. 

4 hours ago, ExiledinDerby said:

You don’t always get what you deserve in football. If you award points per half like boxing it’s a draw and a point apiece in the table. First Plymouth goal is a deflection doesn’t make it undeserving…

Look at the Port Vale game they deserved a point from that because we were awful they didn’t get one because we scored a last minute equaliser there was no pearl clutching then just celebration.

Yes that’s different to an officials decision but there have been goals scored with a hint of offfside about them and we celebrated. Maybe they had an undue impact on the game and the other team feel hard done by?

We all watch games through our own team filter and what we think we deserve is never what the other teams fans think with their filter.

IMO all I heard before this was Warne has the experience and has been here before so knows what to do, Plymouth’s manager is inexperienced and that’s his weakness. On Tuesday personally I think Schumacher was the one who showed tactically he knew what he was doing and his changes made a difference. Warne’s didn’t. 

That’s where the points were lost. 

I just think sometimes it’s hard to accept the players and the management cost us the points but in this case I have to say I think that’s the truth and to be fair that’s what PW said in all his media after the game too. 

As with a previous poster I mostly agree. But the penalty wasn’t because of a hint of diving. It was the size of a roadside ad hoarding surrounded by neon lights and accompanied by a mega fireworks display.

On 08/03/2023 at 08:48, Sparkle said:

I agree about White, I have seen nothing from him that Tompson can’t do - to be honest we need to shoot more and the basic formation we have been playing knight can drop back a bit and Sibley can play advanced because he does shoot to score goals 

White is a class act, already. But put him in a midfield that’s inevitably going to be overrun and he’ll be embarrassed.

He and Tommo are completely different players. Probably complementary but not sure we’ll ever find out 

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

White is a class act, already. But put him in a midfield that’s inevitably going to be overrun and he’ll be embarrassed.

He and Tommo are completely different players. Probably complementary but not sure we’ll ever find out 

Whilst I am not saying anything against the lad but what have you seen white do that makes him a class act? 

6 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Whilst I am not saying anything against the lad but what have you seen white do that makes him a class act? 

Finding defence-splitting forward balls. He covers a lot of ground and in the main his touch and balance exude quality. And I’d guess he will get much better quickly. But he needs to play alongside complementary players. Would love to see him, Bird, Smith, Knight and Tommo all more or less in midfield with each having an understanding of what role they play in what situation. We don’t see this level of organisation anywhere on the pitch - we’re looking like headless chickens without enough legs - and we really need more organisation in midfield. As you might infer I think Hourihane needs to start on the bench if not on his sofa. I don’t think Jason Knight is enjoying running his socks off only to be told where he needs to run next and Didzie’s reaction to his evasive action in the wall against The Shrews says it all

57 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Finding defence-splitting forward balls. He covers a lot of ground and in the main his touch and balance exude quality. And I’d guess he will get much better quickly. But he needs to play alongside complementary players. Would love to see him, Bird, Smith, Knight and Tommo all more or less in midfield with each having an understanding of what role they play in what situation. We don’t see this level of organisation anywhere on the pitch - we’re looking like headless chickens without enough legs - and we really need more organisation in midfield. As you might infer I think Hourihane needs to start on the bench if not on his sofa. I don’t think Jason Knight is enjoying running his socks off only to be told where he needs to run next and Didzie’s reaction to his evasive action in the wall against The Shrews says it all

Ok, I haven’t seen those defence splitting balls yet. Tompson has been very unlucky to not have played more whilst Hourihane can score goals and assist with them there are obviously other areas where he disappoints but we can’t get a great deal when we are so restricted in how we can sign players.

I only got to watch the highlights yesterday. Barkhuizen should have done much better with that header - he even had time to chest and volley it. 2-0 after an hour and even with a homer of a referee, I'd have backed us to get at least a point. Fine margins. 

If anything stops us from going up, it'll be the number of good scoring opportunities that we spurn in key games like this.