Right back

JonnoDCFC

Firstly I just want to go on record and say what a great job Korey is doing at RB for the team, top top player.

However in the last few games I’ve noticed how many times he has crossed the ball from deep straight into the ground/to the first defender/to the edge of the box for a perfect counter attack. Against Lincoln this must of been at least 8 times… it was almost like he just couldn’t connect with the ball properly.

Were we just very lucky to have Byrne with us last year and his crosses were spot on? Or is there some reason why Korey can’t cross for toffee? 

To clarify I think his overall game is great, just these crosses I noticed the past few games… maybe it’s just me…

30 minutes ago, JonnoDCFC said:

Firstly I just want to go on record and say what a great job Korey is doing at RB for the team, top top player.

However in the last few games I’ve noticed how many times he has crossed the ball from deep straight into the ground/to the first defender/to the edge of the box for a perfect counter attack. Against Lincoln this must of been at least 8 times… it was almost like he just couldn’t connect with the ball properly.

Were we just very lucky to have Byrne with us last year and his crosses were spot on? Or is there some reason why Korey can’t cross for toffee? 

To clarify I think his overall game is great, just these crosses I noticed the past few games… maybe it’s just me…

Byrne was quality 

13 hours ago, JonnoDCFC said:

Smith - 9 crosses against Lincoln, 3 accurate

NML - 10 crosses, 1 accurate

Seems like the RHS collectively had problems v Lincoln, but it's true that Korey isn't a natural at RB in an attacking sense.

56 minutes ago, chadlad said:

You would think that someone who has made a career out of playing in midfield would be able to cross a ball.

We've had wingers who were poorer crossers of the ball than Korey Smith. Quite a few. And I imagine Smith, who's spent most of his career as a defensive midfielder, sitting infront of a back 4/3, hasn't previously been encouraged to "get to the byeline and dink one across to the big feller".

I think we have to accept his limitations and be grateful that he's adapted so well to the defensive side of being a RB.

Certainly not having a go at the chap by any means, just seems to be a great footballer… until crossing and he can’t get the ball airborne… NML plays it back to him and I just know 5 seconds later the opposition will of received the ball on the edge of their box and be trying to counter through the middle of the park… baffles more than annoys…. If anything I’d rather he over hit it…

15 hours ago, JonnoDCFC said:

Certainly not having a go at the chap by any means, just seems to be a great footballer… until crossing and he can’t get the ball airborne… NML plays it back to him and I just know 5 seconds later the opposition will of received the ball on the edge of their box and be trying to counter through the middle of the park… baffles more than annoys…. If anything I’d rather he over hit it…

I'd heard he can't get it up... ?

On 19/02/2023 at 22:39, JonnoDCFC said:

Different players just kick the ball differently. Some simply aren’t suited for putting in curly dipping crosses with pace. Byrne’s crossing was PL quality. And he was decent with both feet when needed. But plenty of PL wing backs put on loads of awful crosses. Not least Trent AA

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Different players just kick the ball differently. Some simply aren’t suited for putting in curly dipping crosses with pace. Byrne’s crossing was PL quality. And he was decent with both feet when needed. But plenty of PL wing backs put on loads of awful crosses. Not least Trent AA

I'm not sure about that.  He didn't seem inundated with premier league offers even on a free