Alliterative eleven

Malty

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Has this become a contest to see who can find the most obscure Derby player?

If so, I’ll see your AAA and raise you with Wilf Walsh. Apparently, he played one game for us in the 1946 - 47 season. 

My trump card is that Wilf Walsh was Welsh.

Wilf Walsh was Welsh and played in the War.

1 hour ago, Geriatram said:

How many on here saw Martin Mcdonnell?

Several times, most memorably v. Liverpool at home on 15/10/57. Rams won 2-1 with goals from Dennis Woodhead and wee George Darwin, attendance 22,631, watched from the boys pen.

Defending the Normanton End, Martin McDonnell and Liverpool legend Billy Liddell , both very hard courageous players, went for a 50/50 tackle and ended up being injured. We were used to seeing ex - paratrooper McDonnell doing acrobatics when getting up from tackles, but not on this occasion!

Both players spent the remainder of the match holding each other up on the wing - no substitutes then!

Others have mentioned both Reg Ryan and (South African) Alf Ackerman who I saw play regularly. And who can forget seeing George Darwin skipping across the BBG mud wrong footing opponents repeatedly with delightful back heels.....!

Thanks @Maltyfor triggering a few memories, even if some were off topic!

1 hour ago, sage said:

Don't worry you aren't being pedantic.

You're being incorrect.

Alliteration is defined as starting with same letter OR sound 

Now that's pedantic 

yes I saw that definition, I don’t think it’s a helpful one. It would suggest that, say, the name Philip Pullman is alliterative and I don’t think it is. This explanation is better I think ...

“Alliteration is about repetition of sound, not simply of letters written on the page. That’s why “Sol sells cell phones,” which repeats the “ess” sound, is alliteration, but “Sol charges cell phones” isn’t. “

So Cyrus Christie gets a red card

Edited by kevinhectoring

11 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

yes I saw that definition, I don’t think it’s a helpful one. It would suggest that, say, the name Philip Pullman is alliterative and I don’t think it is. This explanation is better I think ...

“Alliteration is about repetition of sound, not simply of letters written on the page. That’s why “Sol sells cell phones,” which repeats the “ess” sound, is alliteration, but “Sol charges cell phones” isn’t. “

Damn. So my obscure Colin Chester doesn’t count either. 

20 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Damn that unhelpful English Language