Throw Ins

Srg

Time for a topic on this bad boy. 

We seem to give the ball away from our own throw ins at least 50% of the time, and I think that’s probably being kind. We love to find inventive ways of doing it rather than just passing the ball straight back past the thrower out of play too. 

Additionally, now Sibley is full back, it’s become apparent he doesn’t know how to take a throw in at all. He kicks his leg up like he’s playing netball for obvious foul throws constantly, it’s hilarious that it hasn’t been caught by a referee yet. 

Now, this isn’t a new issue. It’s been an issue for years for us seemingly, but it’s something so simply but so important when it’s causing turnover of possession so frequently!

This has been covered many times.

It comes down to so few players making themselves available for the ball.

They just wander off when we get a throw.

Even if we threw it on the volley for someone to hoof upfield we would at least make some progress upfield.

More often than not, we throw it to the only player who is remotely near. He has one option; to return it to the thrower. That’s so obvious the opposition immediately close it down and we panic.

Plan B is to throw it down the line eight feet off the ground when we know we are crap at heading.

Set pieces of all types are a disaster.

But we’re really good at closing down. So good Mike Ashley is interested again,

But they will be setting up for throws in exactly how Warne wants them to. They tried the sneaky one today where they throw it to a runner heading away from the thrower but otherwise they are diabolical.

1) The runs are half hearted and there is only ever two showing for it.

2) The inability for players to return a simple pass is so frustrating 

3) We never take them quickly especially Korey Smith - if he has to even fetch the ball from six yards away it feels like a hassle for him!!

Something I've noticed in general in games, particularly the Premier League, is how happy teams are to let the opposition throw it to the one available close man and allow him to just knock it back to the thrower under zero pressure. 

He then spreads it across the back line to the center back. There really is very little effort to exert pressure.

It's the same further upfield, except the thrower will then cross it. 

At Sunday League level every throw is hotly contested. I wonder if its the fact any contact in the back will result in play acting and a free kick so they just let them have it....no way of winning the ball from behind. 

Very boring minor thought, but I was encouraged by the thread that I could express it haha 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

What irks me is the sheer volume of throw-ins in the modern game that are foul-throw-ins and not picked up by officials. The Bolton long-thrower yesterday being a case in point; back leg off the ground every time. A bit like no balls in cricket - now cricket has VAR UMPIRES no longer check. 

Same with putting the ball into the scrum at egg-chasing. The scrum-half just puts it right under his hookers feet.

When I played if it wasn’t straight, it was given as a foul.

It is something I'm surprised not to see an improvement on with Warne, although the throw into the penalty area to a player running towards goal is different, but generally, as he's made comments about importance of set pieces, and we've seen free kicks at half way nearly always going to the edge of the area now rather than pointless recycling the ball across the back 4 that we'd had for the last 3 years,so he's addressed that. And obviously the goal kicks....

I've always thought our throw ins have been poor for over a decade, never seem to have many options and retain possession very well, really need to see an improvement, even if it'd Bird retaining or turning with the ball rather than passing straight back which is nearly always anticipated and puts the thrower under immediate pressure again.