Throw Ins

Srg

17 hours ago, Ellafella said:

What irks me is the sheer volume of throw-ins in the modern game that are foul-throw-ins and not picked up by officials. The Bolton long-thrower yesterday being a case in point; back leg off the ground every time. A bit like no balls in cricket - now cricket has VAR UMPIRES no longer check. 

Read on several threads, every game (any team) I watch, the foul throw in count is horrendous. I’m always moaning at the tv . Clearly refs have been authorised to say ‘duck throw-in rules’ crack on 

I find it a weird thing to be obsessed about.

As long as it's thrown over the head with two hands, it hardly matters. The 'best' throw-in technique is the legal one anyway.

Throwing from one leg will affect your balance and the accuracy of the throw, even if it means it might gain you a couple of yards. It's hardly a big deal if it does, you either defend the long ball into the box or you don't.

I'd welcome a whole array of different throw-ins tbh, keep it interesting!

tbh I'm not even convinced what people are calling a foul throw is actually is one, you only need both feet to be touching the ground at the point of release,, not planted on it, and I doubt people's eyesight is actually that good that they can accurately tell when the point of release was.

Edited by Kokosnuss

On 27/12/2022 at 21:21, rammieib said:

But they will be setting up for throws in exactly how Warne wants them to. They tried the sneaky one today where they throw it to a runner heading away from the thrower but otherwise they are diabolical.

1) The runs are half hearted and there is only ever two showing for it.

2) The inability for players to return a simple pass is so frustrating 

3) We never take them quickly especially Korey Smith - if he has to even fetch the ball from six yards away it feels like a hassle for him!!

Ironically the only time we actually tried something different it actually worked - Dobbin was clear of the defenders with the ball at his feet, when the ref pulled the throw back for taking it 5 yards away from where the ball went out. He was technically correct, but it was the only time he played the "stolen yards" card, completely ignoring  Bolton's stealing 10 - 15 yards for every free-kick or offside. At least he as consistent - he stopped every attempt we had at taking a quick throw or free-kick all match. Refs, eh? Who'd have them?

On 27/12/2022 at 20:27, Srg said:

Time for a topic on this bad boy. 

We seem to give the ball away from our own throw ins at least 50% of the time, and I think that’s probably being kind. We love to find inventive ways of doing it rather than just passing the ball straight back past the thrower out of play too. 

Additionally, now Sibley is full back, it’s become apparent he doesn’t know how to take a throw in at all. He kicks his leg up like he’s playing netball for obvious foul throws constantly, it’s hilarious that it hasn’t been caught by a referee yet. 

Now, this isn’t a new issue. It’s been an issue for years for us seemingly, but it’s something so simply but so important when it’s causing turnover of possession so frequently!

It would help if they all stayed behind after class and practised their throws a bit - so as to be able to deliver it on the half volley. They often adopt the modern cricketer’s approach and chuck a long hop at the recipient so that when the ball gets to him it’s waist or even chest high. Ok in the PL people get away with that because the spellbound ball instantly submits to the receiver’s magic and cowers at his feet like a well trained spaniel. But in Div 1 it often results in the ball bouncing ever higher in what begins to resemble a bad game of volleyball 

36 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

I find it a weird thing to be obsessed about.

As long as it's thrown over the head with two hands, it hardly matters. The 'best' throw-in technique is the legal one anyway.

Throwing from one leg will affect your balance and the accuracy of the throw, even if it means it might gain you a couple of yards. It's hardly a big deal if it does, you either defend the long ball into the box or you don't.

I'd welcome a whole array of different throw-ins tbh, keep it interesting!

tbh I'm not even convinced what people are calling a foul throw is actually is one, you only need both feet to be touching the ground at the point of release,, not planted on it, and I doubt people's eyesight is actually that good that they can accurately tell when the point of release was.

Sorry but I totally disagree. I was a long-thrower at football and could hit the penalty spot from either touch line. The requirement to keep both feet grounded is there for a reason - I could throw it another 3 feet if I raised my trailing leg. Therefore allowing foul throws gives the thrower an unfair advantage. I do find the “modern” interpretation of football rules another sad deterioration in the games - corners being taken when the ball is clearly outside the corner arc - and some cuckoo then explains it’s all about the arc of the ball and some imaginary line drawn perpendicular to the square of the moon’s hypotenuse - absolute HORLICKS! Exemplified by Japan’s 2nd goal in the World Cup when the ball was clearly out. 

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

We started throwing long balls in the box we got a bit joy with but all of sudden stop doing it. If we did this more maybe collions might get some service into the box and macgoldick nighter few more goals too or even selby too.

Who took the long throws? I’m struggling to remember?

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Sorry but I totally disagree. I was a long-thrower at football and could hit the penalty spot from either touch line. The requirement to keep both feet grounded is there for a reason - I could throw it another 3 feet if I raised my trailing leg. Therefore allowing foul throws gives the thrower an unfair advantage. I do find the “modern” interpretation of football rules another sad deterioration in the games - corners being taken when the ball is clearly outside the corner arc - and some cuckoo then explains it’s all about the arc of the ball and some imaginary line drawn perpendicular to the square of the moon’s hypotenuse - absolute HORLICKS! Exemplified by Japan’s 2nd goal in the World Cup when the ball was clearly out. 

There's no point gaining 3 feet if your wobbly-ass one-legged-launch sacrifices accuracy and puts the ball to the edge of the area or out for a goal kick instead of landing on top of the 6 yard box though! It cancels out the advantage.

Again I'd be willing to bet that most of the times you think a player has lifted his foot off the floor, it's actually still been touching. As the laws of the game allows.

...and even so, it's still less of an issue than goalkeepers coming off their line before a penalty is kicked. That's makes a real difference.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

If you look back at Burton's equaliser against us, their corner was taken from around a half metre outside the corner arc. I don't know what they gained from it, but it shouldn't have been allowed.