FA cup

Foreveram

17 minutes ago, Srg said:

Well you said you don’t get it, so just offering my opinion. It’s not an interesting game, in a cup I think I’d personally rather not be in anyway. Straight after Christmas in likely cold weather. A lot of factors why no one can be bothered with it. 

You can also add playing at Sunday lunch time after two homes games in the past 10 days

Edited by Wistaston Ram

1 hour ago, Wistaston Ram said:

You can also add playing at Sunday lunch time after two homes games in the past 10 days

I think the lack of excitement about the 3rd round of the FA Cup sums up what is wrong with football today. In my day the third round FA Cup ties filled stadia, was one of the highlights of the footie calendar, roaring crowds, full strength teams and winning the FA Cup wasn’t far off being comparable with winning the league. Just look at it today ?

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Well you said you don’t get it, so just offering my opinion. It’s not an interesting game, in a cup I think I’d personally rather not be in anyway. Straight after Christmas in likely cold weather. A lot of factors why no one can be bothered with it. 

26,000 turned up to watch the Barnsley league game.

Most of the season is played in cold weather.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think the lack of excitement about the 3rd round of the FA Cup sums up what is wrong with football today. In my day the third round FA Cup ties filled stadia, was one of the highlights of the footie calendar, roaring crowds, full strength teams and winning the FA Cup wasn’t far off being comparable with winning the league. Just look at it today ?

I'd go as far to say winning the FA Cup would be a better experience than winning the league. The guaranteed euphoria that would be experienced on that one day would exceed most title wins. It would be a cherished memory that I would take to my grave. The championship years were great, but no single moment in those seasons would compare with the experiences of say, a Coventry fan on the day they beat Spurs to win the cup, at Wembley. 

3 hours ago, Srg said:

Don't think the weather has much bearing on it tbf 

It's just an extremely unattractive fixture.

I saw Altrincham vs Halifax on Boxing Day and would on balance watch another non league game for the same admission price rather than that fixture. 

The FA cup has been ruined by the FA and the Premier League. Man Utd not playing that year at the behest of the FA was the beginning of the end. Premiershit teams preferring the money of finishing 15th to FA cup glory and playing reserves compounded this.

We are where we are now and it’s so sad. Derby v Barnsley being sold to overseas markets and being moved to 12:30 on a Sunday - I mean,  for gods sake why?! Is it any wonder that fans have stopped going. I will be there because it’s a game of football but greed, sheer greed has devalued the competition.

Newcastle fans, to their credit, were always livid when their manager rested players and they went out in the 4th round. Before the Saudi blood money it was their only chance of success. A view I share. I was always pleased when Lampard played a proper team in the cup. Shame he didn’t in the play off final ?

Best competition in the world ruined by those who own it. Story of modern football I’m afraid. 

14 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

The FA cup has been ruined by the FA and the Premier League. Man Utd not playing that year at the behest of the FA was the beginning of the end. Premiershit teams preferring the money of finishing 15th to FA cup glory and playing reserves compounded this.

We are where we are now and it’s so sad. Derby v Barnsley being sold to overseas markets and being moved to 12:30 on a Sunday - I mean,  for gods sake why?! Is it any wonder that fans have stopped going. I will be there because it’s a game of football but greed, sheer greed has devalued the competition.

Newcastle fans, to their credit, were always livid when their manager rested players and they went out in the 4th round. Before the Saudi blood money it was their only chance of success. A view I share. I was always pleased when Lampard played a proper team in the cup. Shame he didn’t in the play off final ?

Best competition in the world ruined by those who own it. Story of modern football I’m afraid. 

Back in the 90's I remember a large number of players actually signing for English clubs as it was a chance to win the FA cup.  Back then it was highly prized.  

18 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I agree with what you say but Sunday lunch time kick off is nothing new, we were doing that over 30 years ago.

1 minute ago, Foreveram said:

I agree with what you say but Sunday lunch time kick off is nothing new, we were doing that over 30 years ago.

I can remember lunchtime kick offs over Christmas but can’t remember regular lunchtime kick offs at other times. I might be wrong ?

21 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

The FA Cup has been ruined by the Premier League clubs simple as. Fixtures are being moved as no one wants to watch at prime time reserve teams being trotted out - the bottom tier of Premiership clubs are not interested in getting into the Europa League at the expense of getting relegated, the top tier are more interested in chasing Champions League qualification.

If the 4th Champions League slot was given to the FA Cup winners you see what radical effect that would have.

Until that happens then it will always be seen as a nuisance. The Premier League moneyball has ruined that. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

The FA Cup has been ruined by the Premier League clubs simple as. Fixtures are being moved as no one wants to watch at prime time reserve teams being trotted out - the bottom tier of Premiership clubs are not interested in getting into the Europa League at the expense of getting relegated, the top tier are more interested in chasing Champions League qualification.

If the 4th Champions League slot was given to the FA Cup winners you see what radical effect that would have.

Until that happens then it will always be seen as a nuisance. The Premier League moneyball has ruined that. 

Totally agree about the winners getting the 4th placed spot but the big teams will never go for that unfortunately ?

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

I remember an away tie at Highfield Rd, nearly 50 years ago during the '3 day week', on a Sunday lunchtime for an FA Cup game. The laws at the time didn't permit clubs to charge an entry fee on Sundays, so we 'had' to pay for a team sheet, to gain entry. The game had to start early, to save using the floodlights, it ended up 0-0, if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Yes, the traditional 12:30pm Sunday 3rd round tie?!? Sold the FA cup soul to a man and his dog in Norway for 50p. 

I would relegate teams 3 divisions if they were deemed by an independent panel, of me, of playing a weakened team in the FA cup. 

I would also re-instate the orange ball in snowy conditions and replace half and half scarves with silk scarves or possibly shoot people who bought them. This however is a different discussion.