Derby County v Port Vale - The Matchday Thread

Day

8 minutes ago, JPRamFan said:

Collins let us down badly today. If he stays on the pitch we probably end up winning the game

Unfortunately, we have seen this from Collins.  Totally committed, always seeking confrontations letting the atmosphere get the better of him.  A good striker but needs to calm down at times.  Can't see Dobbin (works hard, offside too much final ball wasted.) or Osula as a good replacement. 3 games ban hopefully McGoldrick gets fit soon.

It's 1 game... and a game that we'd have got at least a point out of with a competent referee.

It'll probably take a couple of weeks to get used to a new way of playing and I can accept that. Some of the direct running, through balls and crosses were very good... just need to get better at keeping hold of the thing, being harder to push off the ball! On to the next one. COYR ?

4 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Can we stop with the dramatics! This was very much of a freakish result, poor refereeing and a stupid individual mistake (Stearman) 

you are right but they all add up. we are sitting firmly in mid table now.

Just now, cosmic said:

The focus will be on the ref, but we looked garbage. Headless chickens, no composure, unorganised, quick to give the ball away, no ideas, endlessly pumping bad balls into the final third.

There is nothing left of all the good parts of Rosenior’s game.

Obviously not writing Warne off yet. I know we’re only three games in, but all three performances have had similar traits. I’m hoping this is a step back to move forward, because right now I’m not seeing anything positive this new coaching staff are trying to do.

Hard to build anything when the referee is constantly giving nonsensical free kicks in their favour. Try and build pressure? Free kick for them. Try and calm it down? Free kick to them. 

We couldn’t win a header to save our life and that was the basis for every attack they had, but we win that with a somewhat competent referee. 

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I wanted to keep LR but let’s give Warne some time. We are still only 3 points off the play offs.

i am not getting on warnes back, just saying that clowes changed the dynamic. i would happily give warne 3 years before i judge him in the same way i would have LR . it was just disruptive when i didnt think things needed disrupting

Loads of people, including on here, were wanting Derby to be more direct, and LR out...

Rose tinted specs much?

It's rare that teams run away in this league, and there will be streaks of form. As long as we are there or thereabouts after Christmas, that's where we should EXPECT to be with a new side, comprised of young players who are learning, and older playing who are past their peak. Few more additions in Jan to give more options...

The balance of the team still isn’t quite right and that isn’t Warne’s fault.

The three at the back is risky with no defensive wide players and whilst we’re good on the break, our midfield is too easy to bypass.

We seem to keep Hourihane on purely in case he scores a worldy. I think Bird, Knight and Rooney might be a better balance. 

Without Collins, the good work from NML and Barks will go to waste because we don’t have anyone else who looks remotely interested in busting a gut to get on the end of a cross. 

But these are temporary problems. We just have to hang in there til Christmas and develop the squad a bit more for a late push. Less than three months ago everyone agreed we would have to be patient. That seems to have been forgotten.

It sounds like the ref had a ‘mare but also that Port Vale had quite a lot of possession.

Sometimes we will get beaten. Sometimes we won’t be good enough, regardless of the officials.

Edited by Anag Ram
Autocorrect

4 minutes ago, alram said:

we are 10th out of 24 teams, so its top half. We have played a game less than pretty much every other team and two games less than the top 3.

Must say this was one of my fears with Warne-ball.

Zero attempt to control the game at any point. Zero attempt to get it down and play at any point. But difficult when the ref is like that. Absolutely diabolical and simply can not be allowed to ref games at this level.

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I wanted to keep LR but let’s give Warne some time. We are still only 3 points off the play offs.

I didnt, we we’re going now where playing tippy tappy cocu ball. 

i appreciate what liam did, i wanted him to succeed and truth be told i had wrote this and next season off to let him prove me wrong but i think we will be in a better place with warne in a couple of years 

I think that succeeding in League 1 includes overcoming poorer quality refereeing.  It's always a mistake to give too much weight to that, or the quality of away pitches as another example.  PW knows all about League 1 so it can't be surprise to him.  I'm waiting to see why this managerial appointment was a good idea over against Liam - it might be - but I remain doubtful after what I saw today (or didn't see).

We all know how awful that referee was. Absolutely embarrassing. Should never ref any higher than league one.

I thought the style of football was amateur. It looked Sunday league. No thought into our forward play apart from crossing it out wide. Port Vale looked dangerous before the sending off. If that's the sign of things to come then we need to sit tight and be patient. You can play that style of hoof and chase at Rotherham, I don't think it'll go down well with rams fans.

Edited by SSD

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

The balance of the team still isn’t quite right and that isn’t Warner’s fault.

The three at the back is risky with no defensive wide players and whilst we’re good on the break, our midfield is too easy to bypass.

We seem to keep Hourihane on purely in case he scores a worldy. I think Bird, Knight and Rooney might be a better balance. 

Without Collins, the good work from NML and Barks will go to waste because we don’t have anyone else who looks remotely interested in busting a gut to get on the end of a cross. 

But these are temporary problems. We just have to hang in there til Christmas and develop the squad a bit more for a late push. Less than three months ago everyone agreed we would have to be patient. That seems to have been forgotten.

It sounds like the ref had a ‘mare but also that Port Vale had quite a lot of possession.

Sometimes we will get beaten. Sometimes we won’t be good enough, regardless of the officials.

You've picked up on something I've picked up on there too @Anag Ram... One of the main properties of PW's Rotherham team was the wing-backs. He had quick full-backs, where we have wingers that we're playing at wing-back as we don't really have many other options. I imagine 2 quick full-backs will be pretty high on the January shopping list.

6 minutes ago, alram said:

3 points off the play off spots with a game in hand and still 35 games to play in total. There’ll be more twists and turns before the season ends. A combination of individual error, poor refereeing and a lack of composure has cost us today.
Dust ourselves down and go again in the next game, don’t let one result ruin your weekend folks ? 

2 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Í think promoción this season is beyond us. Too many decent teams up there. Let’s use this season to build something for next season.

I thought Today would be about us setting out a marker. Not so

Seriously? You're throwing the towel in after 10 games?  We just have to improve. And we will. Sheffield Wednesday were mid table in Jnauary and they finished 4th last season.