Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

Said a few weeks ago it’s all so predictable

after we scored the early goal I said a second half goal was going to go in against us so we would need to kill of the game

yesterday was a perfect opportunity to take advantage of Peterborough losing but once again the manager got it horribly wrong

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Whilst I’m grateful that we have a team one year later, I’m getting a little tired of that being continually pulled out every time a fan has a question on the absolute drab that’s being executed on the pitch.

The fact is Rosenoir bought some good players to the club. So we have, albeit small and albeit missing a couple of players in certain positions, but we have a good team of football players.

Therefore, I look at the current. The absolute dross that Paul Warnes tactics are delivering on the pitch are atrocious. Lumping it up but with no one in behind, playing into channels for either our none pacy strikers to chase or wingbacks who let’s be honest, we shouldn’t be wasting their time with defensive work, or the lack of imagination or creativity in our play.

The only reason I’m still supporting Warne is that he has specific tactics, he plays them and he he certainly doesn’t have the players to execute them. However, you’ve got to change your approach Paul. You need to work with the players you have, not with implementing a style which you don’t have players for. Show me you have the ability to do this.

However, I genuinely think that if anyone thinks we will get promoted to the Prem (one of the reasons Warne left Rotherham) plying his tactics is in cloud cuckoo land. It’s League One football and I can see, with the right players, how he could get out of this league but that’s it at most.

Right now though his tactics are costing us a League One play-off place. If we don’t get in the play-offs he’s failed as far as I am concerned.

I am not on the Warne out camp, I fail to see the value in constantly letting managers go and it’s too costly, but this season is certainly frustrating.

Great post mate I am in the exact same boat, I get why he brought warne in but I really don’t see a long term future for him here, I just don’t think he suits the club and his football is limited to a certain type of player.

Edited by alram

4 minutes ago, alram said:

Said a few weeks ago it’s all so predictable

after we scored the early goal I said a second half goal was going to go in against us so we would need to kill of the game

yesterday was a perfect opportunity to take advantage of Peterborough losing but once again the manager got it horribly wrong

Reading a lot of this , in which way did Warne get it horribly wrong ? we were seconds from an admittedly smash and grab away victory

6 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

This topic makes me laugh!

A year ago we were questioning wether we’d have a club, now we are expecting instant success, and calling for a managers head who’s had x1 January window where his hands were tied. 

We were always going to struggle this season with the likes of Hourihane, Mendez Laing, Barkhausen, Forsyth (and the list goes on.) These players have all the experience in the world which helped us during Christmas, but the relentless nature of the division makes it incredibly difficult for these players to keep up.

I remember watching Michael Johnson on sky when we played Portsmouth earlier in the year and he stated that a 10th place finish would be a success for the club. I agreed and still agree with him to be fair. 

We need a building period! It’s going to hurt and it’s going to take time, but the utter mess of the Morris tenure has taken us back 5 years. Paul Warne is the man to take us forward! He knows the division like the back of his hand and the whole setup of the club is built around sustainability and building for the future.

The short sightedness of fans has been apparent for years now and it seem the pantomime in the boardroom has spread into the terraces!

Let’s be grateful that we have a club, and let’s push the lads on to a playoff place! Up the Rams!

I think there's only one poster expecting instant success (Milenniumram) and actively calling for the manager's head, although maybe others are thinking it but not so outwardly speaking it. I would think / hope he knows full well that he's being a liitle bit OTT, and intentionally fitting in with a characateur built up over a number of years of posting.

I agree though - this topic does make me laugh, but for different reasons.

I find it funny, on a Derby County forum and in a topic dedicated to discussing the performance of the current manager, how averse some posters are to doing just that, how much they plead for the discussion to cease and how much they try to dispel any dissenting voices as coming from the fingers of impatient ingrates with no understanding of where the club has been in the recent past.

All the while claiming that it's those who actually want to discuss the relative merits and flaws of the manager who are the short-sighted ones, when in fact a lot of the complaints and criticisms come from people looking at his managerial traits and fitting them (or rather being unable to fit them) to the longer term future of the club. We are in a period of building, but some have doubts about what we're building toward, how far it will take us, what the impact will be on our Academy etc.

I can't think of anything more short-sighted than closing one's eyes and saying it's too early to have a proper discussion, look where we were a year ago etc.

Another funny thing is it's often coming from people with a history showing a much less generous and at times merciless disposition toward previous managers and the respective difficulties they faced when matched up against the expectations of them at the time, but it's probably best to leave the past where it lies on that one.

Edited by Kokosnuss

11 hours ago, DanS1992 said:

I watch football to be entertained. Warne is not entertaining me with the current "spectacle" on offer, as a matter of fact, it's mind numbing. 

I was exited when Warne was first appointed. I honestly thought that he would get us playing some decent stuff. Now I am not so sure about him.

Genuine question, why did you choose Derby County if you watch football to be entertained? How many pure entertaining seasons have we had in your lifetime that you've witnessed? 2? 3? I have no doubt you'll remember some seasons as entertaining based on League finish (making the play offs or in and around), something that will no doubt not be afforded to PW. 

Were you not entertained vs MK Dons? Were you entertained during the 16 game unbeaten run? The last 10 games or so, minus a couple of good halves and the MK performance has been below par no doubt, but is that the only sample you're willing to discuss? I know as fans we're very reactionary to what we've just seen but there's got to be some context. 

That aside, I don't think it would sit right with me sacking a manager and having to pay him off, barely months after we have just shafted the tax man. Maybe it was irresponsible of DC to give out such a long contract but I'm happy to sit tight and see how it plays out for a fair bit yet. 

11 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Genuine question, why did you choose Derby County if you watch football to be entertained? How many pure entertaining seasons have we had in your lifetime that you've witnessed? 2? 3? I have no doubt you'll remember some seasons as entertaining based on League finish (making the play offs or in and around), something that will no doubt not be afforded to PW. 

Were you not entertained vs MK Dons? Were you entertained during the 16 game unbeaten run? The last 10 games or so, minus a couple of good halves and the MK performance has been below par no doubt, but is that the only sample you're willing to discuss? I know as fans we're very reactionary to what we've just seen but there's got to be some context. 

That aside, I don't think it would sit right with me sacking a manager and having to pay him off, barely months after we have just shafted the tax man. Maybe it was irresponsible of DC to give out such a long contract but I'm happy to sit tight and see how it plays out for a fair bit yet. 

Agreed. There isn't much style-wise to get excited about, but we're far from the extreme where I can't bear to watch my own team. It really isn't that bad. I'm by no means convinced that Warne is going to get it right, but I am hopeful that he will given the chance to make his own moves in the market. No harm in chewing the cud but, for me, that's when his real test starts.

I take your point about length of contract but how easily would we have persuaded him to leave Rotherham (doing pretty well in the Championship at the time) without a contract of that length?

47 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

I think there's only one poster expecting instant success (Milenniumram) and actively calling for the manager's head, although maybe others are thinking it but not so outwardly speaking it. I would think / hope he knows full well that he's being a liitle bit OTT, and intentionally fitting in with a characateur built up over a number of years of posting.

I find it funny, on a Derby County forum and in a topic dedicated to discussing the performance of the current manager, how averse some posters are to doing just that, how much they plead for the discussion to cease and how much they try to dispel any dissenting voices as coming from the fingers of impatient ingrates with no understanding of where the club has been in the recent past.

All the while claiming that it's those who actually want to discuss the relative merits and flaws of the manager who are the short-sighted ones, when in fact a lot of the complaints and criticisms come from people looking at his managerial traits and fitting them (or rather being unable to fit them) to the longer term future of the club. We are in a period of building, but some have doubts about what we're building toward, how far it will take us, what the impact will be on our Academy etc.

I can't think of anything more short-sighted than closing one's eyes and saying it's too early to have a proper discussion, look where we were a year ago etc.

Another funny thing is it's often coming from people with a history showing a much less generous and at times merciless disposition toward previous managers and the respective difficulties they faced when matched up against the expectations of them at the time, but it's probably best to leave the past where it lies on that one.

Interesting. In our history, name another Rams Manager who has had to work under the restrictions Warne has? I am not a Warne fan and wouldn’t have made the change when it was made. But you have to put things in context before we can fully judge Warne. Hardly any players, no pre season, a squad not of his own style, very limited options to strengthen the squad, 4 or 5 older players struggling with 3 games a week. It was pretty much inevitable that the thinnest of squads would struggle towards the end of the season. The last 10 games have been poor but not as bad as what I saw in the not so recent past 🤔 Warne has to be given time, whether we like it or not or the whole rollercoaster will start again.

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

sorry Roy but why does it come across as you delight in The Rams having a tough time , while i respect your opinions the constant juvenile comments you post in the middle of some reasonable arguments become very tedious

Don't be deliberately obtuse. I've watched my Club since the late 60s. If you think that was a juvenile comment then you are wrong. Warne has stressed fitness ie the ability to run until 'gassed out' over anything else. His comment on Didzy a few days or so (?) ago was telling, he was very surprised at how much work Didzy got through. Would he have signed Didzy?

46 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Quite. 

It’s a quit bizarre situation we currently find ourselves in. We are playing rubbish, I think mainly as a consequence of our tactics, but it is still not beyond the team to scrape into the last 6, beat an equally stuttering Wendy team in the playoffs, and then s******** a victory at Wembley vs Bolton or Barnsley. We really could still go up this season in spite of our piss poor form since the beginning of February. Until the end of May everyone should be behind Warne on matchday, albeit there is no harm critiquing him on a forum.

I think David Clowes has a big decision to make come season end. I was against Warne from the start, mostly because of his ideas as to how football should be played, and partly because I found his persona quite annoying. At an end of season review though Clowes has his first proper chance to evaluate his decision/selection. Has he seen enough for him to support the lurch in direction that Warne would prefer (what he has built his career to date on), and what does that plan look like in terms of the financials, fan accord, and the progress of our Academy. 

In the meantime, I really don’t think any of us need any more patronising lectures as to what the Club was like 10 months ago. 

11 minutes ago, jameso said:

I take your point about length of contract but how easily would we have persuaded him to leave Rotherham (doing pretty well in the Championship at the time) without a contract of that length?

Yeah it's more than likely that it was a prerequisite for his move here and it seems that DC was very keen on PW so the 4years may have got it over the line. I'm not holding that against him, as DC was just a fan until his takeover. He's gone with his gut and has promised nothing as far as I can see in the press. No "Derby Way", no style requirements - just a coach and his team who have done well in this division before. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Yeah it's more than likely that it was a prerequisite for his move here and it seems that DC was very keen on PW so the 4years may have got it over the line. I'm not holding that against him, as DC was just a fan until his takeover. He's gone with his gut and has promised nothing as far as I can see in the press. No "Derby Way", no style requirements - just a coach and his team who have done well in this division before. 

It would be interesting to know how the choice was made. We've heard much about the importance of getting the right 'support' staff into the Club too. How are these decisions being reached? I think most fans pro-anti-neutral-Warne would say 4 years seemed extreme.   

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Quite. 

It’s a quit bizarre situation we currently find ourselves in. We are playing rubbish, I think mainly as a consequence of our tactics, but it is still not beyond the team to scrape into the last 6, beat an equally stuttering Wendy team in the playoffs, and then s******** a victory at Wembley vs Bolton or Barnsley. We really could still go up this season in spite of our piss poor form since the beginning of February. Until the end of May everyone should be behind Warne on matchday, albeit there is no harm critiquing him on a forum.

I think David Clowes has a big decision to make come season end. I was against Warne from the start, mostly because of his ideas as to how football should be played, and partly because I found his persona quite annoying. At an end of season review though Clowes has his first proper chance to evaluate his decision/selection. Has he seen enough for him to support the lurch in direction that Warne would prefer (what he has built his career to date on), and what does that plan look like in terms of the financials, fan accord, and the progress of our Academy. 

In the meantime, I really don’t think any of us need any more patronising lectures as to what the Club was like 10 months ago. 

Why is it patronising? It does need to be put in context. I had some banter a couple of weeks ago with an old friend of mine, a Plymouth fan. I tried to explain the restrictions we are under and the situation we were in in June last year. His response was poor old Derby, 30,000 crowds, big stadium blah blah blah, stop moaning effectively.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

It would be interesting to know how the choice was made. We've heard much about the importance of getting the right 'support' staff into the Club too. How are these decisions being reached? I think most fans pro-anti-neutral-Warne would say 4 years seemed extreme.   

Agree with that.

49 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Interesting. In our history, name another Rams Manager who has had to work under the restrictions Warne has? I am not a Warne fan and wouldn’t have made the change when it was made. But you have to put things in context before we can fully judge Warne. Hardly any players, no pre season, a squad not of his own style, very limited options to strengthen the squad, 4 or 5 older players struggling with 3 games a week. It was pretty much inevitable that the thinnest of squads would struggle towards the end of the season. The last 10 games have been poor but not as bad as what I saw in the not so recent past 🤔 Warne has to be given time, whether we like it or not or the whole rollercoaster will start again.

You're arguing against a point that hasn't been made.

Nobody is saying Warne isn't working under unique or difficult circumstances, but as you say, it's about context.

We're playing at the lowest level of football we have since 1986 and although we have our restrictions we have still been able to put together a squad on a budget toward the top end of the league. It's widely acknowledged that it's a building job and time should be given, but that shouldn't preclude the manager from facing any kind of assessment.

While the squad is inarguably thin (the manager is on record as saying he likes working with a smaller squad) there are players who have been underutilised, and a degree of the fatigue which has set in has been down to the physical demands he asks of his squad, irrespective of league schedule.

There are some things which are not dictated by budgetary allowances and constraints, managerial traits (both strengths and limitations) which will show up whether someone is in the Premier League buying £30m midfielders on £80k a week or in League One bringing in frees on £4k.

The vast majority of those pointing out some issues aren't "fully judging" Warne nor are they ignoring the context. It's just that some posters will use our restrictions as a get out of jail free card and a shield against any and all critical thinking, and some won't.

Edited by Kokosnuss

24 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Why is it patronising? It does need to be put in context. I had some banter a couple of weeks ago with an old friend of mine, a Plymouth fan. I tried to explain the restrictions we are under and the situation we were in in June last year. His response was poor old Derby, 30,000 crowds, big stadium blah blah blah, stop moaning effectively.

I can believe very few of the supporters of the other 91 league clubs in the English top tier have any understanding. Equally, I can’t believe that there is any Rams fan who posts on here who doesn’t fully understand the base from which Rosenior, then Warne, started. We really don’t need to be reminded every other day.

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I can believe very few of the supporters of the other 91 league clubs in the English top tier have any understanding. Equally, I can’t believe that there is any Rams fan who posts on here who doesn’t fully understand the base from which Rosenior, then Warne, started. We really don’t need to be reminded every other day.

But where does the context come in then when assessing Warne?

It's going to be interesting next season. I think Warne football has been very much geared towards being an underdog, hussle and tussle, plenty of crosses from the wingers, very athletic. I completely understand supporters that are worried about the managers inability to change his tactics. I thought when he first arrived Warne was willing to adapt his style to what we had in the squad. Since the end of January, particularly away from home, he's tried to implement more of his traditional tactics and I don't think it has worked. The team looks knackered, once the second half kicks off then we can't get into games. This has been going on for a couple of months now and whether Warne likes it or not, I think his inability to rotate the squad correctly has cost us results. I have no issues with him trying to be more aggressive with the pressing out of possession. However half the lads look burnt out by 45 minutes because he doesn't freshen the team. Why he keeps playing NML every game is baffling. The poor bloke ran his rear end off for a good half of season and we've kept starting him when he's clearly shattered and needs a couple of games out of the side. He's got options out wide and I don't think he's played Dobbin / Barks enough. I put that down to the manager.

I know Derby have been rubbish away from home for years, however this doesn't mean this squad should be completely dominated by a lower tier League One team. That's nothing arrogant. Put the two teams on paper, Derby have the bigger budget and attracted better quality footballers. Really poor when the away support has been superb this season.

Our owner is clearly thinking long term and I get the impression he's very happy with Warne at the helm, regardless of if the football is dire. As long as we don't fall away into the bottom half, I can see Warne sticking around. He's got time to build a squad around his style, which we've been crying out for years. Jurgen Klopp rebuilt Liverpool to his style of football over a couple of seasons. Far fetched I know, managers who show some progress whilst changing the team on the pitch get time. My only concern with a Paul Warne rebuild is are we going to have enough funds to overhaul the squad again. His pursuit of bringing in them "prime aged" footballers is going to cost a lot more money.

As painful as it is at the moment, I think with the rebuild behind the scenes, I do believe the manager will come good. Whether the supporters will stay patient is another matter. Especially in this day and age of "we want everything now."