Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

15 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Wycombe have filed under small company accounts, so their wages aren’t disclosed. Very strange.  

Not strange at all, Small company accounts are designed for small clubs with a small car park and a small mentality with a small owner, Small attendance and a small ground.

An anagram from Wycombe...a shitty little small club 👍

11 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Ok… so say we miss out on the play offs altogether then what???

sack the manager ? 

weve done that dance for about the last 10 seasons and look where its got us. 

Where did I say that?

And yes we've been through it before but some posters would say that of the past 10(?!) seasons we almost got to the Prem at least three times - so fairly successful! The problems were down to the owner overspending not the change of managers.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We've paid £260k on agents fees this season (excluding the legacy £750k), whilst Burton have paid £110k. Only Sheffield Weds, Ipswich and Oxford have paid more than us.

When was the last time Burton paid a transfer fee for a player?

I dont think Burton make many, if any, signings, think they rely on the loan market.

I was in the Liam camp and would have given him this season. Now that the change has been made we need to be sensible. Give Warne a summer transfer window and a full preseason and then the whole of next season. That will be sufficient time to see where we are at. Sacking Managers who have got us in the promotion hunt is madness. We need some stability at the club surely.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Where did I say that?

And yes we've been through it before but some posters would say that of the past 10(?!) seasons we almost got to the Prem at least three times - so fairly successful! The problems were down to the owner overspending not the change of managers.

The overspending was propelled by the changing of managers though.

Less in the act of changing the manager in itself - although the costs associated with paying off contracts off shouldn't be ignored - rather the constant change in the type of manager appointed.

Valuable time (and points) lost while the new manager implements his methods on a squad not necessarily suited to playing the way he wants, necessitating money to be spent on getting players in (often on long contracts) to better fit his style, followed by that manager leaving (regardless of who's choice it was), followed bringing in someone who won't be able to hit the ground running because his methods don't mesh with the type of players you've just splurged money on (leading to them playing poorly, decreasing in value and it being harder to recoup your losses)... loop de loop.

However.

Warne won't be going anywhere anytime soon, even next season we're not going to have a great deal of money to spend and we'll probably still be restricted to offering 2 year contracts to players.

Regardless of concerns about some aspects of his management (which may yet improve / evolve) sticking with him until we're,  at the very least, free of the business plan still makes sense IMO.

Edited by Kokosnuss

57 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Nope not true. The managers could have had lower budgets and be made to use the (large) squad and U23s! Mel just spent for the sake of it, ooh look Brad Johnson is available...etc.

Edited by RoyMac5

Nope not true. The managers could have had lower budgets and be made to use the (large) squad and U23s! Mel just spent for the sake of it, ooh look Brad Johnson is available...etc.

The changing of the managers, the overspending on transfers, all inherently linked and all contributed to the downfall of the club. Morris was the decision maker for sure and did it all in the pursuit of “glory”, so suggesting Clowes take a slightly more risk averse approach is no bad thing. 

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

The changing of the managers, the overspending on transfers, all inherently linked and all contributed to the downfall of the club. Morris was the decision maker for sure and did it all in the pursuit of “glory”, so suggesting Clowes take a slightly more risk averse approach is no bad thing. 

Didn't say it was.

The point was the 'constant' changing of managers led to three decent attempts at promotion to the Prem. 

36 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't say it was.

The point was the 'constant' changing of managers led to three decent attempts at promotion to the Prem. 

Ah I see, sorry I missed that point as it wasn’t explicit when you were replying to the comment that said;

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

And so I am clear in my understanding, changing the managers led to pushes for promotion to the premier league and had no effect on the associated spending of the club as that was all Morris on his own whims and therefore that’s the sustainable model we need? 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I know what you're saying but the budget also dictates who is willing to manage the team.

Mel made those noises after Rowett's play-off season (although didn't stick to them!) and he decided to slither off to Stoke instead!

Next up it was a rookie 'celebrity' appointment in Lampard, but would he have come in without the lure of the expensive loan signings?  

There was a blip in Cocu who actually seemed interested in following the remit but still would have needed something to bolster the squad to help out the youngsters (it was unrealistic expecting so many of them to be in the squad and still compete at the sharp end of the Championship) before having to settle for another rookie celebrity appointment because the club was in such a state that getting in anyone else wouldn't have been viable .

Didn't say it was.

I think you're attributing reaching the playoffs to the change of manager there though when it may not always have been the case.

You could say we reached the playoffs despite the changes, and that a couple  of them delayed how long it took to get to have another shot.

(Don't feel like doing a full analysis in the pub  though so I could be talking b*******!)