Comparison with 1985/86 Div 3 promotion season - game by game

SamUltraRam

1 hour ago, GangwayD said:

I remember this one well. We really travelled in good numbers back then, taking over wherever we went.

Certainly very lively that evening. 
Not sure if it was this game but some lads dressed as Vicars in the away seats to our right. 

Got most of the programmes featured up in the loft. 

Absolutely loved this season and hope this one turns out the same.

Regards

Gangway D from the terrace

Which terrace did gangway D relate too?

3 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Our next game was a significant one - 2nd leg of the Milk Cup away to Leicester who were in the top league.

The 1st leg resulted in a 2 - 0 victory for the Rams & don't forget, both the FA Cup & Milk Cup were taken very seriously in those days, none of the weakened teams we see in todays game.

The game finished 1 - 1 putting Derby through to the next round but what made the headlines was the action outside the ground.

I was there & I remember it getting proper nasty in the streets.

5,000 Derby fans in a crowd of just over 10,000

image.png.328ba7206599acb00cc59d442dc87326.png

1665153889488_copy_1707x3142.jpg

1665153907102_copy_1970x1185.jpg

1665153874056_copy_1388x1856.jpg

I can remember going to this one. Missed the riot afterwards though. Sat in the stand down the side of the pitch. We had half the terrace behind the goal too. 

League game 12 from 1985/86 was a home victory over York City which took us to 22 points after 12 games - 2 points ahead of our current total.

This was our 4th league win in a row and moved us up to 4th position in the league

After an injury to Trevor Christie in the 1st half, 19 year old Andy Garner came on to score both Derby goals.

The match report mentions another rule which I'd forgotten about - teams were allowed to pass back to their goalkeepers and apparently York did it 40 times in the game !!

( Game 12 in 1984/85 was a 0 - 0 away draw at Walsall which took us to 18 points )

image.png.688d82eccb3a2b005a9c3c155cb2cc85.png

image.png.74c55d76ea996d6ed349adb3367c9f64.png

1665991558168_copy_1188x1685.jpg

1665991577943_copy_2719x846.jpg

1665991594580_copy_1144x735.jpg

Edited by SamUltraRam

On 20/09/2022 at 22:49, SamUltraRam said:

A few significant changes that have happened to English football since 1985/86

1) The play-offs were first introduced to the English Football League in 1987 and have been staged at the conclusion of every season since.

2) The number of substitutes usable in a competitive match has increased from zero, meaning that teams were reduced if players' injuries could not allow them to play on, to one in 1958; to two out of a possible five in 1988. With the later increases in substitutions allowed, the number of potential substitute players increased to seven. The number of substitutes increased to two plus one (injured goalkeeper) in 1994, to three in 1995; and most recently temporarily increased to five substitutes in 2020 due to Covid and permanently to five in 2022/23.

3) Relegation from Div 4 of the Football League through re-election - No club was voted out in the eight seasons until 1986, after which the system was abandoned in favour of direct promotion between the Football League and the Football Conference

4) In 1992/93 the Premier League was introduced and since then, all common sense in the domestic English football world is disappearing bit by bit

5) August 1992 - the pass back rule was introduced whereby players were no longer allowed to kick the ball to their goalkeepers for him to pick it up

I have memories of Alan Hansen & Mark Lawrenson doing this a lot for Liverpool, passing back to Bruce Grobbelaar

(for a bit of trivia, Grobbelaar grew up in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and has said that he grew up as a Derby County supporter)

Edited by SamUltraRam

On 12/10/2022 at 19:26, JJs dms said:

Anyone else remember the 'Come on Geoff' screams from a lovelorn lady on the popside every time Chandler got the ball followed by umpteen mimics Never realised he was Irish. started really well if I remember rightly before tapering off before Cally came in

You must have stood near me on the halfway line(ish). she always seemed to be a yard behind me even if i moved across five yards ?

Edited by I DONT MIND

On 10/10/2022 at 18:13, Reggie Greenwood said:

Finished top 

They went off the boil a fair bit though.

Reading's first 13 games: 13 wins, 0 draws, 0 losses

Reading's last 33 games: 16 wins, 7 draws, 10 losses

Mid-season in the second tier the next season, while both Plymouth (seventh) and us (Champions) finished better.

On 12/10/2022 at 19:26, JJs dms said:

Anyone else remember the 'Come on Geoff' screams from a lovelorn lady on the popside every time Chandler got the ball followed by umpteen mimics Never realised he was Irish. started really well if I remember rightly before tapering off before Cally came in

2 hours ago, I DONT MIND said:

You must have stood near me on the halfway line(ish). she always seemed to be a yard behind me even if i moved across five yards ?

God yeah, that brings back memories, I was half way up the terrace, had the rails in front, always stood in same place next to the same people, it was directly in line with the entrance at the back of the stand. Far enough back so the Ley stand kept the rain off us most of the time.

You remember when the Sheff Wednesday lads all came in to that area and made it known just before KO, was it in the Cup? Police ended up dragging them over the rails at the side, the walkway next to the ST enclosure for their own safety, think they just got put in the Ossie terrace in the end so what they wanted really

On 12/10/2022 at 19:41, Gritstone Ram said:

I can remember going to this one. Missed the riot afterwards though. Sat in the stand down the side of the pitch. We had half the terrace behind the goal too. 

That was the Autumn that there was a lot of rioting all over the cohntry,  wasn't there a big organised one in Leicester City center not related to the match that night which is why not enough police at the game and then causing it to kick off there.... 

Remember singing 'we are Derby, Super Derby, we are Derby  Super Rams' for what seemed like the whole of 1 half, and everything the 'baby' squad was it? In terrace next to us started to reply we ramped the volume back up and drowned them out. Simple songs, very effect, not like the shi te nowadays that no one knows the words for apart from 1 block in South stand.

Lots of coin throwing through the netting at each other I remember also.

22 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

God yeah, that brings back memories, I was half way up the terrace, had the rails in front, always stood in same place next to the same people, it was directly in line with the entrance at the back of the stand. Far enough back so the Ley stand kept the rain off us most of the time.

You remember when the Sheff Wednesday lads all came in to that area and made it known just before KO, was it in the Cup? Police ended up dragging them over the rails at the side, the walkway next to the ST enclosure for their own safety, think they just got put in the Ossie terrace in the end so what they wanted really

Don't remember the Sheff Weds incident, but that's no surprise really as we were in the Vulcan most games util a few minutes before kick off and the game had usually started when we arrived!!

17 minutes ago, I DONT MIND said:

Don't remember the Sheff Weds incident, but that's no surprise really as we were in the Vulcan most games util a few minutes before kick off and the game had usually started when we arrived!!

It was probably 20 mins before KO iirc, someone said they had gone into the Columbo end and then decided to come to half-way line as less 'lads', I didn't drink pre match back in them days and got in about an hr before KO, hence I can remember more than what happened last month! 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Points tally compared to other seasons in the 3rd Division (adjusted to 3 points per win):

image.thumb.png.c62045b5815039e66a1b8f02f31b244d.png

image.thumb.png.8d086dc1278abdcbe7822048b743dd99.png

Nice one GoC. You do the charts, i'll do the other stuff. 

1955/56 finished 2nd (regionalised - only Champions promoted - we got the adjusted equivalent of 91 points and we scored 110 goals). There wasn't a Division 4 until 1959, just Div 3 North & Div 3 South

1956/57 finished 1st

1984/85 finished 7th

1985/86 finished 3rd

So we need to make top 6 this season to avoid our lowest ever finish in our history

Edited by SamUltraRam

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Points tally compared to other seasons in the 3rd Division (adjusted to 3 points per win):

image.thumb.png.c62045b5815039e66a1b8f02f31b244d.png

image.thumb.png.8d086dc1278abdcbe7822048b743dd99.png

Good work.  Really shows how we fell away mid season in 84-85.  This was the time I went to the most games that I have been to in a season and turned out to be the worst placing in our history, typical!

52 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Nice one GoC. You do the charts, i'll do the other stuff. 

1955/56 finished 2nd (regionalised - only Champions promoted - we got the adjusted equivalent of 91 points and we scored 110 goals). There wasn't a Division 4 until 1959, just Div 3 North & Div 3 South

1956/57 finished 1st

1984/85 finished 7th

1985/86 finished 3rd

So we need to make top 6 this season to avoid our lowest ever finish in our history

looks we have needed an "adjustment season" after being relegated, and season after we push on. 

1 hour ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Good work.  Really shows how we fell away mid season in 84-85.  This was the time I went to the most games that I have been to in a season and turned out to be the worst placing in our history, typical!

It was my 1st season I could actually go to games as I left school and got a job so could afford it, the next 4 years were all better than the previous with us ending up 5th wasn't it in 89.... would have been Europe if it hadn't of been for the scousers getting us banned from playing

2 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

It was my 1st season I could actually go to games as I left school and got a job so could afford it, the next 4 years were all better than the previous with us ending up 5th wasn't it in 89.... would have been Europe if it hadn't of been for the scousers getting us banned from playing

Must be similar ages, as like you I had my first job and went to as many games as my wage and young person's railcard would allow. The following seasons were the best, but I was then a student down south and couldn't get to as many games as i would have liked.