My idea honour of queen one last time.

B4ev6is

14 minutes ago, AGR said:

This is the biggest myth going. 

William alone gets £22m a year. You're not telling me we get that much from tourists coming solely to see and follow the royals.

If you believe the royals bring in more money than they cost the taxpayer then you'll believe anything.

Any data or figures to back this up I’m not saying you’re wrong but where have you got your information 

Edited by Mick Brolly

Using pre-pandemic numbers this article states the Royal Family costs the taxpayer £82.4M.  Their contribution to the economy is £1.9Bn.  It also states how having the Royal Warrant on a product boosts income.  So if it comes down to money, I think they’re well worth it.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1437145/how-much-money-does-the-royal-family-bring-in-to-uk-evg

Then we could go onto other things like all the charities, etc they support.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

37 minutes ago, AGR said:

William alone gets £22m a year. You're not telling me we get that much from tourists coming solely to see and follow the royals.

If you believe the royals bring in more money than they cost the taxpayer then you'll believe anything.

William's £22M set against US visitors, alone, spending of £4,180M, as provided on Finder.com tourism statistics. Also states that 2 thirds of all tourists come to London and I don't think that they all come to go on the London Eye.

Edited by ram59
grammar

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Using pre-pandemic numbers this article states the Royal Family costs the taxpayer £82.4M.  Their contribution to the economy is £1.9Bn.  It also states how having the Royal Warrant on a product boosts income.  So if it comes down to money, I think they’re well worth it.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1437145/how-much-money-does-the-royal-family-bring-in-to-uk-evg

Then we could go onto other things like all the charities, etc they support.

I think people will still come to look at the old buildings, palaces and stuff. I don't think all the £1.9Bn is to come and look at some royal people.

2 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Just to keep them alive, Then there's other costs, Buildings, Staff(servents ?) vehicles, Horses, Dogs, Pizzas ?, Travel, And other sundries...total £102.4million.

https://britishheritage.com/royals/royal-family-cost-british-taxpayer

Even that figure only equates to £1.45 per person, still cheaper than a pint 

54 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think people will still come to look at the old buildings, palaces and stuff. I don't think all the £1.9Bn is to come and look at some royal people.

Likewise the £82.4M that the Royals cost us isn't in the form of a cheque for £82.4M, to swell their coffers. The Royals are a massive industry supporting many thousands of jobs both directly and indirectly. Virtually all of the money paid to the Royals is then passed on to normal folk such as staff, suppliers and trades people who help keep the organisation running, who in turn pay tax on their earnings and profits. It would be interesting to know how much of that £82.4M comes back to the state eventually, through income tax, NI, VAT council tax and corporation tax,  amongst others.

This doesn't include exports to foreign countries gained by Royals entertaining foreign buyers.

It is true that should they be abolished, then people would still come to visit their old palaces and stuff, but we wouldn't have had those attractions without the Royals in the first place.

3 hours ago, AGR said:

I'd bet my house, wife and car keys that visitors to the UK for the Royal family far outweigh what all of the Royals put together receive. 

£22m is nothing - probably Windsor alone would bring this in during the summer months. 

3 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Your very sure of yourself when you clearly know nothing. 

I have family who live in both USA and Canada. They are massive Royalists along with many people they know. 

America on its own bring that many visitors to the UK who tour our country because of the Royals. Most of their trip is based around them. 

China is exactly the same, they love our Monarchs. 

You’ve clearly got your own grievance for some reason. 

Rather agggressive there. I questioned if a large majority of visitors to the uk come here because of the royals. A large majoirty is a fairly big claim, yet I know nothing for questioning it. 

The French got rid of their monarchy over 200 years ago and yet people still flock to Paris. I'm not against the monarchy by the way but I would like to see it slimmed down and do they really need all those very large houses. How about putting some Ukranians up in one of them? Don't get all whipped up about that last comment it is not meant to be taken very seriously.

24 minutes ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

The French got rid of their monarchy over 200 years ago and yet people still flock to Paris. I'm not against the monarchy by the way but I would like to see it slimmed down and do they really need all those very large houses. How about putting some Ukranians up in one of them? Don't get all whipped up about that last comment it is not meant to be taken very seriously.

Them Flockers

image.png.339071aff757c98b63c6a27c2ae6f3e6.png

6 hours ago, AGR said:

If you was offered that amount would you really want that life. I wouldnt even for double that.

9 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

If you was offered that amount would you really want that life. I wouldnt even for double that.

Nothing could tempt me to have their life. 24/7 under public and media scrutiny, not being able to have any kind of normal lifestyle. Simple every day actions ridiculed or torn apart. Not being able to trust anyone that you meet and even those that you have known for years.

Celebrities have similar issues, but for the large part, they know what they're getting into, they're not born into it.

10 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Nothing could tempt me to have their life. 24/7 under public and media scrutiny, not being able to have any kind of normal lifestyle. Simple every day actions ridiculed or torn apart. Not being able to trust anyone that you meet and even those that you have known for years.

Celebrities have similar issues, but for the large part, they know what they're getting into, they're not born into it.

I was and had and I knew what I was getting into...I was known as Huge Ons and played a football commentator in one on the films.

22 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Exactly.

I’m currently watching BBC and seeing the Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward having to stand facing away from their mothers coffin whilst all and sundry walk past. My mum past away last year and one day of formal ceremony was more than enough for me. They’ve got nearly two weeks of it. I wouldn’t wish their life, even with all its privilege, on anyone.

Edited by Tamworthram

6 hours ago, AGR said:

I think you must be getting Buckingham Palace confused with Camberwick Green.