Morecambe v Derby (A) Matchday thread

Bwash_Ram

18 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

Was Morcambe’s ground the one the EFL’s stadium valuer used to calculate Pride Park’s worth?

expecting a premier league quality stadium! 

Yes, according to the EFL valuer, Pride Park and Morecambe’s  were just “bog standard”  football grounds. He did admit that he never visited Pride Park.????

The grounds are so similar that it will be like another home game for us?????

2 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Yes, according to the EFL valuer, Pride Park and Morecambe’s  were just “bog standard”  football grounds. He did admit that he never visited Pride Park.????

The grounds are so similar that it will be like another home game for us?????

Is my season ticket valid for tonight?  ?

4 hours ago, Srg said:

That bit is the key. If we play with purpose, pace and aggression then we can beat anyone. If we amble around, pressing without intent to tackle and are static off the ball, then we will get beat.

Tactics, again, are secondary to this. Mentality and application are the first things that need to be right in this league.

You are Paul Warne and I claim my five pounds!

1 minute ago, Srg said:

I know you're joking, but it's true. Whether we've been set up how Rosenior set us up, or how Warne has set us up, that's been the complete difference between our good games and our bad ones.

Not denying that mentality matters, but the switch to 442/4231 was a massive part of the change in how we pressed on Saturday.  The 2 wide players having fullback cover in behind them gives them so much more freedom to go and press aggressively.  If NML was playing as a wingback, rather than a winger, he really shouldn't be chasing loose balls just outside their area, and we probably don't score that first goal.  We were basically pressing with 4 players, rather than 2.

And Bristol Rovers came and tried to play out from the back against us, which played right into our hands.  I'd be very surprised if Morecombe do that anywhere near as much tonight, or if many other teams try it at Pride Park.  So we probably won't be winning possession high up the pitch anywhere near as often, regardless of mentality.

28 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Not denying that mentality matters, but the switch to 442/4231 was a massive part of the change in how we pressed on Saturday.  The 2 wide players having fullback cover in behind them gives them so much more freedom to go and press aggressively.  If NML was playing as a wingback, rather than a winger, he really shouldn't be chasing loose balls just outside their area, and we probably don't score that first goal.  We were basically pressing with 4 players, rather than 2.

And Bristol Rovers came and tried to play out from the back against us, which played right into our hands.  I'd be very surprised if Morecombe do that anywhere near as much tonight, or if many other teams try it at Pride Park.  So we probably won't be winning possession high up the pitch anywhere near as often, regardless of mentality.

It helped, sure, but changing formation didn't mean the press resulted in tackles rather than standing 3 yards off, it didn't make passes suddenly be played with purpose or any of that.

I'm not trying to say system/tactics are irrelevant, but I am trying to say you can play whatever you want and it broadly won't matter if you don't have the basics right. Those basics have you competing in games, the tactics are what change a draw to a win, or a narrow win to a thumping.

12 minutes ago, Srg said:

It helped, sure, but changing formation didn't mean the press resulted in tackles rather than standing 3 yards off, it didn't make passes suddenly be played with purpose or any of that.

I'm not trying to say system/tactics are irrelevant, but I am trying to say you can play whatever you want and it broadly won't matter if you don't have the basics right. Those basics have you competing in games, the tactics are what change a draw to a win, or a narrow win to a thumping.

Don't you think it's easier to 'compete' and play with purpose when you a)know what you're meant to be doing and b)are comfortable with what you're doing? We're better with 4 at the back for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

It kind of does though.  The players all looked like they understood their positions, they knew when to press and when to stand off etc.  And more importantly, the extra bodies pressing up front means it's much safer to actually go and tackle.  If you are only pressing with a couple of players, you can't go flying into tackles because if you don't get there in time, they've already passed it sideways to a guy who's now running into the massive hole you've just left.  If somebody else is also closing that guy down, then they can't do that (or they're in trouble if they try).  Basically, if you're outnumbered, then the correct thing to do is to stand off, stay on your feet and stay in the game.  If you've got cover you can afford to risk it and dive in more often.

Former Ram Ferrend Rawson will start tonight. He missed the game at the weekend due to suspension, but has played every other minute this season and is considered their best player.

Typically playing 352, I expect the same tonight. They'll ll look to get the ball to their forwards quickly with either balls over the top or through balls. They'll look for knockdowns, with Weir posing a threat from range. They will give the ball away a lot, but they will also try to win the ball back quickly. If they can't win the ball, they'll certainly foul their man instead.

As they'll actually set up with 5 at the back, I'm expecting Dobbin to be a bit more central and Roberts higher up the pitch. With Mendez-Laing pinning their LB back, Smith can tuck inside a little bit to offer Bird and Tommo a bit of help with their midfield 3. Average positions for the game roughly being:

Wildsmith
Cashin   Forsyth
Smith         Bird   Tommo      
Mendez-Laing   McGoldrick   Collins   Dobbin   Roberts

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't you think it's easier to 'compete' and play with purpose when you a)know what you're meant to be doing and b)are comfortable with what you're doing? We're better with 4 at the back for a reason.

No. If playing with a 3 at the back means you are unable to put a tackle in with aggression or play a pass with sufficient pace and have a good first touch on the end of it, then you probably shouldn't be playing professional football.

It could, however, mean you're getting overrun in the would-be full back positions, or your most dangerous player is receiving it in his own half far too much. 

Again, doesn't affect basics.