The Oldies "I remember when" thread

Elwood P Dowd

35 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Taking 13 hours to drive to Devon to see family, only bits of motorway.

Convoys of caravans nose to tail up the hills on the A38 south of Bristol. Not room to get a razor blade between them, overtaking impossible. I developed a hatred that still lives in me to this day.

That is some hill, A few years back I went to Newquay(5 hour drive from Derby)Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 outside lane no traffic I'm in front and i'm going slower and slower up the hill, I couldn't move into the middle lane as all were under taking me...nut job behind me giving me grief...flashing his lights and beeping his horn, I eventually pulled over to the middle lane...ba/ard 1.2s ?

17 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

image.jpeg.a38376680ed9c0579bff1f21e76566de.jpeg

These footballs.  They didn’t half sting on a cold day!!

image.thumb.jpeg.377cea3d0330f2a5ae39217bd768f630.jpeg

It was these I was thinking of.  They proper stung.  We always had the orange one.  No-one ever had a “caser” so it was these or the “floaters” that on a windy day you’d score an own goal trying to hoof it away from goal!!

Mum’s homemade rice pudding… “Bagsy the skin on top!”

Being the last one out of the house one Saturday morning, to play rugby for the school team… not yet trusted to have a door key… Yale lock… still in my bloody slippers!  ??

The reek of tripe and onions on the boil most Saturday lunch times. Dad’s treat (and dad’s alone!) as he readied himself for an afternoon of the gee gees, followed by the wrestling. 

Classified football results. ?

11 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Mmmmmmm

And jam rolly polly, bread and butter pudding with proper home made custard not the Birds cornflour rubbish ???

Oi, I'll not have a word said against Bird's Custard Powder ?

It was my job to mix the powder sugar and milk for the custard base. 

I do kind of envy kids who's Mum's had time for proper cooking. Mine went back to working 6 days a week when I was 7 and she just didn't have time to make stuff from first principles after that. 

The first 40 overs a side cricket matches shown on Sunday afternoons on BBC2, with the wonderful John Arlott commentating.

It featured individual counties playing a select XI called The International Cavaliers. I think it started in 1965 and ran through to 1968, and was the forerunner to the John Player League which started the following year.

Games could not start before 2:00 pm, and were supposed to be completed before the bells rang for evening church services.

It was the only professional cricket on Sundays (county matches were 3 days, and Sunday was a rest day in Test Matches).

Edited by Eddie

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

The first 40 overs a side cricket matches shown on Sunday afternoons on BBC2, with the wonderful John Arlott commentating.

It featured individual counties playing a select XI called The International Cavaliers. I think it started in 1965 and ran through to 1968, and was the forerunner to the John Player League which started the following year.

Games could not start before 2:00 pm, and were supposed to be completed before the bells rang for evening church services.

It was the only professional cricket on Sundays (county matches were 3 days, and Sunday was a rest day in Test Matches).

I used to love the the JPL used to sneak in through the railings on the racecourse,I was about 7 when I first started going down (1972). Unfortunately they’d have to be about 5 railings missing now for me to sneak in so I’m now a member 

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

The JPL was great. A brilliant afternoons entertainment, no test match players missing unless there was an actual test on and TV commentary by John Arlott and Jim Laker usually iirc. 

12 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Mum’s homemade rice pudding… “Bagsy the skin on top!”

Being the last one out of the house one Saturday morning, to play rugby for the school team… not yet trusted to have a door key… Yale lock… still in my bloody slippers!  ??

The reek of tripe and onions on the boil most Saturday lunch times. Dad’s treat (and dad’s alone!) as he readied himself for an afternoon of the gee gees, followed by the wrestling. 

Classified football results. ?

Les Kellet, Steve Logan, Mick McManus, The Royal Brothers, Giant Haystacks, Cat Weasel, Mal Kirk, Big Daddy, Jackie Pallo...and dozens more, My Dad loved it, Rice pudding I'm with ya, Tripe and onions...get out of here ?

12 hours ago, Crewton said:

Oi, I'll not have a word said against Bird's Custard Powder ?

It was my job to mix the powder sugar and milk for the custard base. 

I do kind of envy kids who's Mum's had time for proper cooking. Mine went back to working 6 days a week when I was 7 and she just didn't have time to make stuff from first principles after that. 

My Mum was an Usherette at the Odean(Gaumont)on London road, GIC, The Deli counter at Ranbys, all part time, She was a great cook, On a Sunday we never ventured into the kitchen...that was her domain, Her jam steamed pudding and rice pudding was summat else, From 9ish in the morning until we all 8 of us sat down around 1pm, Dad allways in the front room with the plate on his knees watching all our yesterdays.

3 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

I used to love the the JPL used to sneak in through the railings on the racecourse,I was about 7 when I first started going down (1972). Unfortunately they’d have to be about 5 railings missing now for me to sneak in so I’m now a member 

Behind the old scoreboard ?

The cowboy TV programs

boots and saddles, waggon Train, broken arrow, gun smoke, rawhide, Laramie, bonanza, have gun will travel, Cheyenne, Lone Ranger, maverick, the rifleman, sugar Foot, bronco, the Virginian, Roy rogers, Cisco kid, hop along Cassidy.

The goodies wore white hats and the baddies wore black ones.

My parents bought me a ZX81 (and then a Spectrum 48k followed by a 128k) back in the day.  I can remember waiting for 15-20 mins for a game to load from tape only to have it fail right at the end - then tweaking the dials a fraction and trying again.

The Amiga 500 with games loading from disk was a huge advance!

Brains on toast for tea.

Mum loving pig trotter as a treat.

Toast and dripping with salt for tea.

Lard sandwiches for tea.

Having to eat a tin of fruit cocktail with bread and butter.

Never having a car.

Not seeing the sea until I was 15.

Driving lessons £1.50 for an hour.

Mum's grocery bill coming to no more than £3.

Watch with Mother - The Woodentops, Andy Pandy, Rag, Tag and Bobtail, Picture Book, Bill and Ben.

Frost on the inside of the windows.

National saving stamps at school. 6d. and 2/6

Roast Beef on Sunday, Beef cold cuts with mash and piccalli on Monday, Beef mince for Cottage Pie on Tuesday. Gosh, we made that beef go a long way!

White cabbage boiled to death until it had the consistency of papier mache, having to ask to leave the table and being told to first eat everything on my plate. Which I did until I heaved! My parents had lived through the war and rationing. It sounds a bit harsh but - different times!!

Love this thread!!

Edited by Miggins

2 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

The cowboy TV programs

boots and saddles, waggon Train, broken arrow, gun smoke, rawhide, Laramie, bonanza, have gun will travel, Cheyenne, Lone Ranger, maverick, the rifleman, sugar Foot, bronco, the Virginian, Roy rogers, Cisco kid, hop along Cassidy.

The goodies wore white hats and the baddies wore black ones.

They really were the genre for the 1960's weren't they?

The Virginian, Bonanza, Alias Smith and Jones, High Chapperal with the handsome Manolito.

I remember my grandpa Bert reading cowboy novels. I don't think he read anything else.

Even Star Trek was originally going to be called 'Waggon Train to the Stars'.

Edited by Miggins