The Oldies "I remember when" thread

Elwood P Dowd

On 12/08/2022 at 21:50, Elwood P Dowd said:

Don't forget about donkey stoning the front step, what would the neighbours say if the lady of the house forgot the front step.

When I bought my house in 1980 (£13,995) I lived next door to an elderly couple called Mr and Mrs Poyzer. Mr Poyzer would put down traps for any mice in the house and check them just before I came home so I wouldn't be upset. Mrs Poyzer donkey stoned my doorstep whenever she did her own. She would also wait a decent time to rearrange the washing I had hung out on the line. She obviously knew more than I did about the Wind in the Pillows. ☺️

8 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Kids TV Banana Splits , Arabian Knights , Robinson Crusoe ( Black and White with that theme tune)  , Fireball XL5 , Stingray  , Joe 90 , Thunderbirds , Flashing Blade , Voyage to the bottom of the sea , Catweazle .

Sunday’s Star Soccer with Hugh Johns and the Rams usually main match 

Don't forget Belle and Sebastian!!

I remember when working for an IT firm in Derby 30+ years ago, there was this young lad on a computer in the corner and we had no idea what he was doing. Then someone said I think he is connected to the internet, we still had no idea and really weren't interested. The rest as they say is history and I am at work on an internet forum. Still no idea what i am doing at work mind you.

23 minutes ago, Miggins said:

They really were the genre for the 1960's weren't they?

The Virginian, Bonanza, Alias Smith and Jones, High Chapperal with the handsome Manolito.

I remember my grandpa Bert reading cowboy novels. I don't think he read anything else.

Even Star Trek was originally going to be called 'Waggon Train to the Stars'.

Boots and saddles was about 1957 and I think the first episodes of Waggon train were about the same time along with Gunsmoke.

19 minutes ago, Miggins said:

Don't forget Belle and Sebastian!!

29 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Kids TV Banana Splits , Arabian Knights , Robinson Crusoe ( Black and White with that theme tune)  , Fireball XL5 , Stingray  , Joe 90 , Thunderbirds , Flashing Blade , Voyage to the bottom of the sea , Catweazle .

Hmm. The Flashing Blade! Was that the one with the theme tune starting 'You've got to fight for what you want, for all that you believe?' If so, how come I can remember that but have no idea where my car keys are?

3 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

The cowboy TV programs

boots and saddles, waggon Train, broken arrow, gun smoke, rawhide, Laramie, bonanza, have gun will travel, Cheyenne, Lone Ranger, maverick, the rifleman, sugar Foot, bronco, the Virginian, Roy rogers, Cisco kid, hop along Cassidy.

The goodies wore white hats and the baddies wore black ones.

Always remember at the end of Cisco Kid, he and Pancho would ride up to the camera and Pancho would say, “OK Cisco, let’s went”. It became a catchword and I still say it now.

1 hour ago, Miggins said:

Brains on toast for tea.

Mum loving pig trotter as a treat.

Toast and dripping with salt for tea.

Lard sandwiches for tea.

Having to eat a tin of fruit cocktail with bread and butter.

Never having a car.

Not seeing the sea until I was 15.

Driving lessons £1.50 for an hour.

Mum's grocery bill coming to no more than £3.

Watch with Mother - The Woodentops, Andy Pandy, Rag, Tag and Bobtail, Picture Book, Bill and Ben.

Frost on the inside of the windows.

National saving stamps at school. 6d. and 2/6

Roast Beef on Sunday, Beef cold cuts with mash and piccalli on Monday, Beef mince for Cottage Pie on Tuesday. Gosh, we made that beef go a long way!

White cabbage boiled to death until it had the consistency of papier mache, having to ask to leave the table and being told to first eat everything on my plate. Which I did until I heaved! My parents had lived through the war and rationing. It sounds a bit harsh but - different times!!

Love this thread!!

Burst pipes in Winter with water gushing through the ceilings but far more good memories than bad.

44 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Always remember at the end of Cisco Kid, he and Pancho would ride up to the camera and Pancho would say, “OK Cisco, let’s went”. It became a catchword and I still say it now.

I think The Cisco Kid used to be on after Criss Cross Quiz, do you remember that?

25 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I think The Cisco Kid used to be on after Criss Cross Quiz, do you remember that?

I do but can't remember the host - or quizmaster as we used to call them.

Great quiz programmes - Double Your Money, Take Your Pick, Spot The Tune

2 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Forgot about the proper Batman with Adam West. POW , CRASH , WALLOP  

Those Cavaliers TV matches were a godsend – there wasn't much else you could do on a Sunday afternoon. It is hard for today's youngsters to imagine how quiet things were then on a Sunday. The only shops open were newsagents in the morning and the off-licence in the evening. There was hardly any traffic on the roads because there was nowhere to go. 

Nowadays Sunday is just another day, but then it felt different from any other day. On Saturday you looked forward to Sunday because it was another day off work, but on Sunday itself the prospect of going to work on Monday seemed to hang over you and spoil the day. You had a feeling of dread lurking in the back of your mind. I liked to go to the cinema on Sunday evenings to take my mind off work. Before the adverts and the film they would usually play some light string music. Often it was a particular record with cascading violins. It was very famous then but I can't remember the name of it now. I just know that as soon as I heard it I could relax in my seat and all my troubles would be forgotten for a couple of hours.

There's a link to a Cavaliers game below that captures the spirit of the time and the church bells give it the Sunday feeling. You can see great players enjoying themselves. It's a pity that we only get a short bat from Sobers. Roy Marshall seemed to score a hundred before lunch every Saturday. I don't know why he didn't play more for the West Indies. Fred Rumsey was a familiar face at Derbyshire games. I don't think I ever talked to him but I can remember looking at him in a beer tent around 1975 and thinking that he looked old and far from the cricketer I remembered on TV in the 1960s. I've just looked him up on wikipedia to find out when he died. I would have guessed the 1990s but he is still going strong and he even had a book published last year. He's still only in his 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N77TIGZqzc&t=1072s

Old age in those days started at about 50. At that age most men were knackered by many years of hard physical work. I can't remember seeing anyone over 50 running. Most of my old relatives had died or they lived far away so I didn't have much to do with old people. I used to regard them as being miserable and secretive. My street was full of them but they rarely seemed to come out of their houses. I couldn't work out what they did all day. 

The old couple next to us didn't like children. We only had a tiny patch of grass at the back but my brothers and I played an under arm cricket game there. Unfortunately, our neighbour didn't like our shouts of “out” or “lbw” and she sometimes came out the back to tell us off. We just listened to her politely, but that wasn't enough and she reported us to our mother. When I asked my mother what the old lady had accused us of she replied “dumb insolence”. My mother laughed but she and my father had great respect for the elderly and she said she would tell us off. Many years ago I looked up the occupiers of the houses in our street and I think that old couple were living in the house before the First World War. On Sundays she would sometimes go to the off licence with a jug to be filled with beer. They must have died at least 50 years ago. I can't imagine how they would have coped with some of the people in that street today.

On 12/08/2022 at 15:56, Turk Thrust said:

Also I remember when I lived in Abingdon Street, we were next to Graham Street and Russell Street, two of the roughest streets you can imagine, now hopefully demolished. We were considered posh because we had curtains!

We lived in the sunlit uplands between Addison Rd. and Mortimer Street. Addison Rd. was brilliant when collecting a penny-for-the-guy, but you had to be quick at knocking off time, or some swine ud nick the best pitch by Royce's gate.

Anyone know if Nightingale school is still there?

And now, a song. It's on You Tube but I've forgotten how to embed it on here.

EE WHEN I WERE A LAD
As sung by Keith Hancock on "This World We Live In" (1984)

CHORUS: Ee, when I were a lad, the times they were bad,
But not quite as bad as when me dad were a lad.
When me dad were a lad, it were nearly as bad
As when me dad's dad were a lad.

1. Oh, how often we say that the kids of today
Don't know what real hardship is!
Now when I were a lad, that's what I got from me dad,
And I'll bet that's what he got from his;
For in me dad's day, they were all on low pay.
His mother had nowt in her purse,
And when she were a lass, there were even less brass,
And things were a bloody sight worse.

2. In the days long gone by, all the summers were dry.
The kids ran around in bare feet,
And the sun got so hot all your cares were forgot,
And it melted the tar in the street.
Yes, the sun got so strong and the summers so long—
Twelve month it were all that we had—
But once more I'll say: you are lucky today,
'Cos, my, how the winters were bad!

3. Now, when I were quite small, we had no fears at all.
You could walk round the street late at night.
If you met someone else all alone like yourself,
You'd smile and you'd wish 'em goodnight.
It's not safe anymore; if you step through your door,
Then someone will kick in your brains.
When we were young, we had flair and we always fought fair
With flick knives and bicycle chains.

4. When me granddad were born, longer dresses were worn.
A girl had to cover her skin,
And an ankle or more no man ever saw,
'Cept the butler when his luck were in.
Now their chests are on view to me and to you
Every year when you walk on the beach.
In the warm open air, young girls everywhere
Show parts even lager can't reach.

6 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

We lived in the sunlit uplands between Addison Rd. and Mortimer Street. Addison Rd. was brilliant when collecting a penny-for-the-guy, but you had to be quick at knocking off time, or some swine ud nick the best pitch by Royce's gate.

Anyone know if Nightingale school is still there?

Gone closed some 10 years ago like the Pub on the corner of Nightingale Road, Royces bulldozed down for a new housing development on Nightingale Rd, Mitre(bulldozed down now Starbucks coffee shop 

2 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Gone closed some 10 years ago like the Pub on the corner of Nightingale Road, Royces bulldozed down for a new housing development on Nightingale Rd, Mitre(bulldozed down now Starbucks coffee shop 

Blimey. That means all my schools are no more. St Dunstan’s Infants, Nightingale Junior, Pear Tree Secondary Modern and Joseph Wright Secondary Art School all gone. Even the Art College in Green Lane.

and I loved being in the Sea Cadet Corps. I ended up as a Leading rate and had a drummer’s badge. The HQ was in the entrance to Markeaton Park. Another one gone.