The Oldies "I remember when" thread

Elwood P Dowd

5 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Remember your Road well. I lived in Valley Road from age 15. I left school (Joseph Wright Art School now sadly gone) and went to Derby Art College in Green Lane but left and became a librarian in the Wardwick. Went to Aston Uni to qualify but left to become a cocktail barman in Estartit in Spain at the Custard Beast Bar (you can tell the era from the name). For a short time worked for a shadowy unit in MoD in London. Back to Derby after 18 months, signed on and was taken on by the dole office in Normanton Road. In 1976 I moved in the Department of Employment to Birmingham where I worked in Sutton Coldfield. Then onto London to work first in the Careers Service and then the Wages Inspectorate and then became a records and information manager. Best move ever. I worked on British and World Bank funded aid projects (mainly civil service reform and economic strategy). Went to over 50 trips to the Caribbean, India and Malaysia but mainly to Africa (got arrested and imprisoned as a spy in Sierra Leone, and had a bad experience with goats in The Gambia). In the final few years before retirement I worked on the UK Freedom of Information Act but still keep my hand in and work with computerising the Nigerian Court of Appeal and sorting out records management for Nigerian prisoners. Since my name is Crooks, this is very apt.

And I thought I had a varied life, Them prisons in Sierra Leone are pretty awful i'm told, As for the Goats...best say nowt ?, My mate had a home in the Gambia he kept asking if I fancied a free holiday there if I'd look after his Goat ?

That's some work history Turk ? 

8 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Also I remember when I lived in Abingdon Street, we were next to Graham Street and Russell Street, two of the roughest streets you can imagine, now hopefully demolished. We were considered posh because we had curtains!

No they're still there and still rough ish, I worked at RR Foundry opposite Russell Street, Buildings still there but not known what's going off as RR never owned the Foundry. RR on Nightingale Road demolished except for the façade, And a house building project going on there now, Samways cycles gone also, The Mitre boozer bulldozed and a Starbucks in it's place, Spider Island still going strong, Brand New swimming baths on Ossie Park, Ossie Park Hotel is a Carpet Shop now

The next time I go to Derby, which isn’t often, I must visit all my old haunts. The area around Abingdon Street where I lived till I was 8, then around Dairyhouse Road where I was till age 15 then to Valley Road, Chaddo before I left and my mum and dad moved to Alvaston. Must go to all the pubs I went to in the 60s such as the Dolphin, Seven Stars and the Bell. Seem to recall meeting up before a match at a pub called The Vine.

Watched Long John Baldry and his Hootchy Cootchy Men featuring a youngster called Rod Stewart at the Cattle Market Inn, now I assume long gone. Must go to my old place of work at the Library in the Wardwick, and branches at Alvaston Park (think now demolished) and Littleover. Must go to the Golden Gates at Elvaston Castle where my parents’ ashes were scattered. Is the Sha Bagh Indian restaurant London Road still around? Then known as the the Shagbag where I had my first curry.

Ah memories……….

7 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

The next time I go to Derby, which isn’t often, I must visit all my old haunts. The area around Abingdon Street where I lived till I was 8, then around Dairyhouse Road where I was till age 15 then to Valley Road, Chaddo before I left and my mum and dad moved to Alvaston. Must go to all the pubs I went to in the 60s such as the Dolphin, Seven Stars and the Bell. Seem to recall meeting up before a match at a pub called The Vine.

Watched Long John Baldry and his Hootchy Cootchy Men featuring a youngster called Rod Stewart at the Cattle Market Inn, now I assume long gone. Must go to my old place of work at the Library in the Wardwick, and branches at Alvaston Park (think now demolished) and Littleover. Must go to the Golden Gates at Elvaston Castle where my parents’ ashes were scattered. Is the Sha Bagh Indian restaurant London Road still around? Then known as the the Shagbag where I had my first curry.

Ah memories……….

Dolphin, Seven Stars and the Bell still going strong, Seven Stars a good boozer ? The Vine on Ford Street is still there I believe but not sure as I'm not often that way, The Cattle Market is now the Smithfield is memory serves, But there was/is the Meadows(at West Meadows Ind Est) off Pentagon Island that was used for Farmers back in the day, I guess that's gone now, I had my engagement there with the former Wife in 1975, Shagbag most likely renamed and a pizza place or other eatery ?‍♀️, Rod Stewart also played at the Park Hotel(ex Beau Brummel my local)in the late 60s in Chadd

29 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Ah memories……….

Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days ??

Spangles, Texan bars (a personal favourite), football in the street, no 24 hour tv, not having to wear a seat belt (my Dad’s not so I’m not), vinyl seats in cars that if you were wearing shorts in the summer you lost a layer of skin when you got up, germolene, tcp cured all ills,Trent Bitter, Double Diamond, kids walking to school, Grange Hill, Rainbow, Pipkins, TISWAS, Swap Shop, Saturday afternoon wrestling…….

Oh, and blue shorts ?.

Half time scores on a board. 

Game A 2 - 0

Game B 1 - 1

You had to buy a programme to know who was Game A, Game B etc. 

People selling food, crisps, macaroon bars, those orange juice triangle drinks, chewing gum etc on the trackside of the pitch. Similar to usherettes at the cinema. 

Fans changing ends at half time. 

Football specials. Think of the worst trains BR had in service and they ran discounted tickets to take you there and back, no stopping.

405 line, black and white TV, and at the end  the nightly broadcast, normally between 11pm and 12am, they played the national Anthem.

At first there was only BBC, ITV came later, BBC2 in the early 70s

My father purchased our first TV for the coronation in 1953, I don’t remember it.?

3 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days ??

True. Looking back is through rose tinted glasses. I forget that when I was about 8 I helped my mum turn the handle on the mangle after helping her with the ponch and dolly peg in the dolly tub (apologies to those younger than me who haven’t a clue what I’m talking about)

13 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

True. Looking back is through rose tinted glasses. I forget that when I was about 8 I helped my mum turn the handle on the mangle after helping her with the ponch and dolly peg in the dolly tub (apologies to those younger than me who haven’t a clue what I’m talking about)

They had to light the copper to heat the water before all those tools came into play.

Don't forget about donkey stoning the front step, what would the neighbours say if the lady of the house forgot the front step.

4 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Ah memories……….

Library no more as of a few years back I'm afraid. 

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Dolphin, Seven Stars and the Bell still going strong, Seven Stars a good boozer ? The Vine on Ford Street is still there I believe but not sure as I'm not often that way, The Cattle Market is now the Smithfield is memory serves, But there was/is the Meadows(at West Meadows Ind Est) off Pentagon Island that was used for Farmers back in the day, I guess that's gone now, I had my engagement there with the former Wife in 1975, Shagbag most likely renamed and a pizza place or other eatery ?‍♀️, Rod Stewart also played at the Park Hotel(ex Beau Brummel my local)in the late 60s in Chadd

A few years back I walked past McDonalds in St Peters Street and it was packed with blokes with Rod Stewart wigs and attire .  Then another load of Americans walked past looking like him. Turns out he has a fans convention annually that mega fans come from all over the world to.  That year it was in Derby. Long way from the Beau Brummel in Derby to fan convention in Derby

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

A few years back I walked past McDonalds in St Peters Street and it was packed with blokes with Rod Stewart wigs and attire .  Then another load of Americans walked past looking like him. Turns out he has a fans convention annually that mega fans come from all over the world to.  That year it was in Derby. Long way from the Beau Brummel in Derby to fan convention in Derby

To be fare it was around 69ish when he was there, I'd be 13 and wouldn't have a clue who he was, I'd not discovered music I was to busy climbing and falling out of trees, I couldn't even whistle, An Englishman who thinks he's a Scotsman PMSL. 

10 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Yep we had one in the shed, No washing machines back then for us or fridge/freezer...it was a thrall in the pantry, The coldest place, The Tally man calling once a week, The gas man emptying the meter and giving Mum money back, Co op divi number, Council man round every now and then to make sure your garden was tidy...winters with snow ?

10 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

They had to light the copper to heat the water before all those tools came into play.

Don't forget about donkey stoning the front step, what would the neighbours say if the lady of the house forgot the front step.

Absolutely mental, My Mum/dad would red lead our step...cheeses Christ what was that all about

image.png.da8e23949302720151176e086d958760.png