The Oldies "I remember when" thread

Elwood P Dowd

I remember my sixpence allowance for sweets changing to 2 1/2p.

My local shop had a hand-written list of old currency/ new currency comparisons.

Blackjacks and fruit salads a particular favourite plus those e-laden spongy banana things.

Can’t remember them making me ‘hyperactive’ like they seem to now and if I was, I’d have had a clout round the ear.

Hasn’t done me any harm.

D8A9E30B-1A87-4F7C-BB30-3E7056B1403A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I remember my sixpence allowance for sweets changing to 2 1/2p.

My local shop had a hand-written list of old currency/ new currency comparisons.

Blackjacks and fruit salads a particular favourite plus those e-laden spongy banana things.

Can’t remember them making me ‘hyperactive’ like they seem to now and if I was, I’d have had a clout round the ear.

Hasn’t done me any harm.

I recall regularly walking in the shop with my tanner (2.5p) and walking out with more like two bob's worth (10p).
As mum was serving, we saw it as a perk of the job.  Probably called theft or some such term, nowadays!  ?

The 60s, Pine apple chunks(sweets)that would take the roof of your mouth off, Aniseed balls, Lucky bags, Beech nut chewing gum, Palm bars, A bag of scratchings, Jublies, Chips wrapped in news paper, The local copper, Being chased by the older lads for being cheeky, Chasing the older lads when I got bigger, a pint of mixed for 12p circa 1974, Getting a quick feel with your girlfriend at the Essaldo(picture house)in Chadd now Aldi, Getting home from school and my mum watching Payton Place, Coal fires, Pubs in Chadd...the Kingfisher, J F Kennedy, Spinning Wheel, the Rhino, the Penguin, the Rocket, the Grandstand, the Blue Boy...all gone.

As Arnold Schwarzenegger said...I'll be back ?

2 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I remember when you used to be able to buy a Westlers hamburger outside the Baseball Ground, meat cooked in hot water, they were awful but they were the only option in those days ?

With Onions and red sauce in those huge bottles, Cobs would fall to bits if you didn't eat em quick enough☹️

22 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

The 60s, Pine apple chunks(sweets)that would take the roof of your mouth off, Aniseed balls, Lucky bags, Beech nut chewing gum, Palm bars, A bag of scratchings, Jublies, Chips wrapped in news paper, The local copper, Being chased by the older lads for being cheeky, Chasing the older lads when I got bigger, a pint of mixed for 12p circa 1974, Getting a quick feel with your girlfriend at the Essaldo(picture house)in Chadd now Aldi, Getting home from school and my mum watching Payton Place, Coal fires, Pubs in Chadd...the Kingfisher, J F Kennedy, Spinning Wheel, the Rhino, the Penguin, the Rocket, the Grandstand, the Blue Boy...all gone.

Bottles of Pop with screw in Vulcanite stopper with a red rubber seal on it

24 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

It’s a long time since I lived in Valley Road, Chaddo but the Kingfisher gone? Was the local just up the road. My dad used to go there at weekends (with a suit and tie of course, as did most working men of his generation). Oh dear, another piece of my memory disappeared. My dad used to go, after he retired from Royce’s, to the Roundhouse every lunchtime. At the time it was officially the Alvaston hotel But known as the Roundhouse

9 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

It’s a long time since I lived in Valley Road, Chaddo but the Kingfisher gone? Was the local just up the road. My dad used to go there at weekends (with a suit and tie of course, as did most working men of his generation). Oh dear, another piece of my memory disappeared. My dad used to go, after he retired from Royce’s, to the Roundhouse every lunchtime. At the time it was officially the Alvaston hotel But known as the Roundhouse

I know Valley Road well...a posh part of Chadd ?, I wasn't to far from you Challis Avenue off Maine Drive.

As for the Fisher...yep gone a good few year back, Pretty much the smoking ban indoors did it for most of em...plus the super markets selling cheap ale

image.png.d0a3f203b492df56e8053fd4ae19440f.png

Edited by Unlucky Alf

The bull sounding off at lunchtime (dinner time then). For those much younger this was a siren to start the dinner break and one an hour later to call the men back. It altered my mum to get the meal ready. Royce’s had a slightly different tone to another one which I think was Ley’s. In the early 50s we lived in Abingdon Street and so were close to both. At the time it was traditional to live within walking or cycling distance from your work. Hardly anyone had a car then. My dad was a metal polisher at Royce’s and had been during the war working on Merlins. Retired in 1979. And no it doesn’t mean he got the Brasso out.

13 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

The bull sounding off at lunchtime (dinner time then). For those much younger this was a siren to start the dinner break and one an hour later to call the men back. It altered my mum to get the meal ready. Royce’s had a slightly different tone to another one which I think was Ley’s. In the early 50s we lived in Abingdon Street and so were close to both. At the time it was traditional to live within walking or cycling distance from your work. Hardly anyone had a car then. My dad was a metal polisher at Royce’s and had been during the war working on Merlins. Retired in 1979. And no it doesn’t mean he got the Brasso out.

I have not heard words “the Bull” for years, I remember it well.

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

The Corona lorry delivering pop not virus.

A mars bar filled you up

Farthing would buy a minute gobstopper. Used to walk permanently looking at the floor on the off chance of finding one, and that was last week!.

Buying a car for 3 figures and a house for 4.

12 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I know Valley Road well...a posh part of Chadd ?, I wasn't to far from you Challis Avenue off Maine Drive.

As for the Fisher...yep gone a good few year back, Pretty much the smoking ban indoors did it for most of em...plus the super markets selling cheap ale

image.png.d0a3f203b492df56e8053fd4ae19440f.png

Remember your Road well. I lived in Valley Road from age 15. I left school (Joseph Wright Art School now sadly gone) and went to Derby Art College in Green Lane but left and became a librarian in the Wardwick. Went to Aston Uni to qualify but left to become a cocktail barman in Estartit in Spain at the Custard Beast Bar (you can tell the era from the name). For a short time worked for a shadowy unit in MoD in London. Back to Derby after 18 months, signed on and was taken on by the dole office in Normanton Road. In 1976 I moved in the Department of Employment to Birmingham where I worked in Sutton Coldfield. Then onto London to work first in the Careers Service and then the Wages Inspectorate and then became a records and information manager. Best move ever. I worked on British and World Bank funded aid projects (mainly civil service reform and economic strategy). Went to over 50 trips to the Caribbean, India and Malaysia but mainly to Africa (got arrested and imprisoned as a spy in Sierra Leone, and had a bad experience with goats in The Gambia). In the final few years before retirement I worked on the UK Freedom of Information Act but still keep my hand in and work with computerising the Nigerian Court of Appeal and sorting out records management for Nigerian prisoners. Since my name is Crooks, this is very apt.

When the rag & bone man came up the street my mum would take old clothes and come back with a stack of plates.

The YZ owl chewing gum machine - if the arrow pointed towards the "quarter to" mark you'd get an extra pack of gum. We'd trawl the streets just checking all the gum dispensing machines.

Think it's already been mentioned but a visit by the Corona lorry was highlight of the week.