Hourihane

Gerry Daly

I get the impression Hourinhane is going to be one of those players that doesn’t get involved all that much in open play, certainly not as much as the likes of Bird, Smith, NML or Sibley in terms of possession, ball retention or ball carrying, but he will be one of those players who makes that telling difference whether it’s a final pass, long-range effort or set piece.

I wouldn’t say he is a luxury player because that would be unfair to the work he does off the ball. But he is going to be a unique attacking threat in League One and he would walk into every other team in the league because he has that match-winning ability.

45 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I get the impression Hourinhane is going to be one of those players that doesn’t get involved all that much in open play, certainly not as much as the likes of Bird, Smith, NML or Sibley in terms of possession, ball retention or ball carrying, but he will be one of those players who makes that telling difference whether it’s a final pass, long-range effort or set piece.

I wouldn’t say he is a luxury player because that would be unfair to the work he does off the ball. But he is going to be a unique attacking threat in League One and he would walk into every other team in the league because he has that match-winning ability.

When he was at Barnsley, he was absolutely everywhere but I get your point. 

I’d settle for an Idiakez type in this team, for sure. 

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think people who were disappointed that Hourihane and others weren’t dominating for 90 mins are forgetting that we are still a little undercooked fitness wise having started pre season late. I expect him to get better as the season progresses

Not forgettign the all important time to gel as a team

On 01/08/2022 at 18:17, Srg said:

Last time he was in this league he got double figures in goals and assists. If he can get close to that then you know we will have had a decent season. 

I saw him captain Barnsley and could not get over how much he barked out instructions to other players. I noticed after he scored on Saturday he started giving the orders out. A good thing , I think , a captain without the armband.

On 01/08/2022 at 17:52, Bris Vegas said:

Very much like Harry Wilson. Those game winning flashes of magic made him so valuable but he could often be anonymous/ineffective in general play.

Players with that quality are vital when dominating the ball, especially in trying to break down disciplined opposition. My main concern would be his input when we're under the cosh although arguable in a counter attacking mode that quick and incisive balls into the front men are just as important. I did see evidence on Saturday of him putting pressure on their midfield/putting his foot in but also read a few Villa fans on Twitter warning that he can sometimes be a bit weak.

Still very chuffed he's with us & certain his goal on Saturday is a taster of things to come. Mark of class. Wouldn't be surprised to see him finish in double figures for both goals & assists this season.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

On 01/08/2022 at 18:38, Ambitious said:

When he was at Barnsley, he was absolutely everywhere but I get your point. 

I’d settle for an Idiakez type in this team, for sure. 

Shaun Barker’s commentary vs Oxford was - as always - spot on Hourihane spends lengthy periods not being involved in the game.  

Edited by kevinhectoring

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Shaun Barker’s commentary vs Oxford was - as always - spot on Hourihane spends lengthy periods not being involved in the game.  

That wasn’t through him not making an effort to get involved. I counted at least half a dozen times where he dropped into the wide spaces left by either a Barkhauzen or NML run but Bird or one of the centre halves went short to someone else.  I’m assuming Rosinior wants him to do this so he has time to play a through ball to Collins or switch play to the opposite wing.  Plus when they were in possession he was diligently pressing when it was needed.  

He’ll be more involved when we start giving him the ball more

41 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

That wasn’t through him not making an effort to get involved. I counted at least half a dozen times where he dropped into the wide spaces left by either a Barkhauzen or NML run but Bird or one of the centre halves went short to someone else.  I’m assuming Rosinior wants him to do this so he has time to play a through ball to Collins or switch play to the opposite wing.  Plus when they were in possession he was diligently pressing when it was needed.  

He’ll be more involved when we start giving him the ball more

Ok fair enough. But the Barker comment was at the beginning of the game and reflected his impression of H over the years. That said, if he pops winners in for us on a regular basis there’ll be few complaints