Overvalued and Underpaid? or Undervalued totally?

Mostyn6

Just having a conversation with a friend looking to change jobs and it's astounding how often people are offered a pay rise or sweeteners when they put their notice in, but seemingly neglected and taken for granted when in the role.

Last year, I left a little firm in Nottingham (not for financial reasons), but in the last hour of my last day, the MD said he could offer me upto 65% pay rise to stay. Which meant they overvalued me and underpaid me consciously! They had already offered to pay me extra to not take the last week off. I ended up about £900 better off.

Anyone experienced anything weird when handing their notice in?

Stunts like this rankle with me, if they offered you that pay rise when you were about to walk then they could have offered it to you earlier so is insulting.

What's the percentage of people who quit the job they're in anyway after a few months after they are counter offered? They're leaving for a reason and a bit of extra cash just glosses over the main reasons why they were happy to quit in the first place and often these issues aren't resolved.

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Just having a conversation with a friend looking to change jobs and it's astounding how often people are offered a pay rise or sweeteners when they put their notice in, but seemingly neglected and taken for granted when in the role.

Last year, I left a little firm in Nottingham (not for financial reasons), but in the last hour of my last day, the MD said he could offer me upto 65% pay rise to stay. Which meant they overvalued me and underpaid me consciously! They had already offered to pay me extra to not take the last week off. I ended up about £900 better off.

Anyone experienced anything weird when handing their notice in?

are you saying that once you were offered that, you decided to stay?

It has not happened to me, everyone has apparently been glad to see the back of me, but something similar happened to a friend of mine some time ago.

He worked at a computer software company and was doing really well, except he didn't like how they treated him, when he did a good job, the office guys took the credit and when the office guys made mistakes, they blamed it on him.  He knew his own worth and he wanted to quit, but was too bashful to state the reasons to their faces and so he came to a mutual friend of ours and me to seek advice how to get out of this situation.  We advised him to march into the office and make extraordinary wage demands, to insist on every kind of bonus we could think of and to get a stake in the company as well and then they would surely fire him.  He thought that was a marvelous idea.

A few days later he came to see us with a defeated look on his face.  Guys, they accepted all the demands, what the hell do I do now?

He was stuck there for a few more months until we came up with a better plan and he began work at a nicer place.  He made a heap of money during those months though.

Edited by ramit
typo

I was Systems Programmer at 3M in 1984, (I'd worked there since leaving school 13 years previously) with overall responsibility for installation and maintenance of the Operating System. The usual crap - flextime but no paid overtime. I was working 60-70 hours a week, weekends, nights - the problem being that operating system or network changes had to be performed on a 'quiet' system, i.e. when nothing else was active, so I worked a lot of antisocial hours. I was reasonably well-paid - or so I thought at the time.

At the end of the month, I had built up something like 70 hours of 'credit' on my flextime - and they allowed me to carry over 8. At the start of the next month, a similar thing looked as though it was happening. One evening, I rang up Dick Cresswell at Computer People (a legend in the IT industry - although it was called DP - Data Processing - in those days) and just said "Get me out of this hell-hole".

He asked me what I fancied - permanent or contracting, applications programming, sysprog or analysis, management etc - and I suggested that a short contract applications programming would suit me, just until I'd made my mind up where I saw my future (obviously away from 3M). I mentioned the hours I was working, the pressure I was working under and said that I didn't want 3M to know.

Dick rang me back an hour later and he said "I've got you an interview - in a pub tomorrow evening. Fancy it?"

Not half.

I met Dick on the car park (some place in Branston) - obviously there was money in being a recruitment consultant because he was driving a red Jaguar XJ-S convertible - I think it was a V12. Christ, I couldn't even afford the fuel for one of those. Anyway, he pointed out, through the window, the guys who would be interviewing me.

I walked in, turned to the interviewers and said "Gentlemen, may I buy you a drink?"

"He's got the job" was the reply. The interview consisted of 5 minutes chat followed by two hours drinking. My type of interview - my type of job really - a brewery.

I went in to work the next day and handed in my notice. My boss offered to increase my salary from £9K per annum to £12K if I stayed. I worked my 1 month notice (two weeks of which I took as holiday already owed to me) and took my first contract on £400 a week.

Best decision I ever made.

Edited by Eddie

Happened to me just the once. After my annual review and subsequent low pay rise offered. I put to my MD what I thought was good case as to why I should receive a bigger rise. His reply was as much as I warranted a bigger raise, due to the  company's current situation the rise offered was all the company could financially justify.

At the time I was already looking for a new job. More due to wanting less travelling and a better working environment. It was only a month later that I got a new job and I handed  my month notice to the MD. Where upon he immediately offered to increase my salary. 

When I asked how with no change of the company financial situation, he could now offer me more money than he could a month ago. He replied with a smile that's business.

I turned down his offer and moved to my new job, where I spent 13 happy years.

Edited by 1of4

With a pinch of salt because this is a recruitment company but I found the link because I've heard all these arguments before. The gist is, if you've decided to leave, it's likely a very bad move to accept a counteroffer to stay. Seeing you were looking to move on, they're likely just buying time to ensure you're more easily replaced without disrupting the company. Once they've done that, they can get rid of you.

https://thehumphreygroup.co.uk/resignation-the-counter-offer/

I do freelance training. I was working for one company paying £x per day. But I fell out with the management there training trainers like poo and walked away. Into the the willing arms of another company who instantly paid me 33% more, with a promise of another 25% a year after that, which they fulfilled after 6 months, because I was doing so well. 

The other company called me back eventually, they were getting desperate for trainers. But now I wasn’t desperate for a job. I told them how much I was being paid with the other company, and I won’t get out of bed for any less, now I know how much I’m worth. and they agreed, they even didn’t seem to notice the fact that the other company pays so much because they don’t pay expenses. The first company do at least pay travel and sustenance expenses.

so although I swore I’d never go back to them, because of all the bullpoo they cause, there’s an awful lot of bullpoo I can put up with for £y for a weekend’s worth of work.

and frankly, I don’t really care about that job, just riding the grace train as long as I can, so it’s not like I make a great effort to do a great job, so it’s all fairly stress free, and they’ve learned to treat me a little nicer.

so the moral of the story is something like, don’t be afraid to walk away, learn how much you’re worth, and don’t settle for anything less. 

Yes, it happened to me years ago. I didn't accept because I felt I was a bit stuck in my role.

I was an estimator and they wouldn't let me move up onto the sales team because they didn't feel it was appropriate for women to go onto building sites. ?

They actually offered me more than the job I was going to (which was totally unconnected workwise and about a 50% pay increase.)

It stung a bit when they set two people on to replace me! 

Nowt for me, I was never technically gifted, Left school with little education(I could read and write)all manual work/driving, By the mid 90s I joined RR 22 years after a shed load of my mates, I moved up the Union ladder, I was big, Confident and knew how to use my mouth, Anyway, We were setting on a few workers, I was tasked with looking after them before their interviews, Giving them the lowdown and rights and wrongs at working at RR.

One lad had come from Ross Catherall Ceramics in Denby(Denby Pottery)Quiet lad but was enthusiastic and asking the right questions, After the interviews, I'm in a meeting with the 3 Managers who took the interviews and was asked how the interviewees behaved, Gave them my opinion and left.

1 Month later I'm approached by the lad from Denby who thanked me for the nice words I gave to the Managers, Only being honest fella, You must have had a good interview, My opinions were most likely the icing on the cake, He almost trebled his wage from Denby to RR.

6 months later he gave me a box, I opened it and there was a cake that his wife had baked for me, I want to thank you Alf for all you've done for me, Thanks I said but what have I done for you, Since being here he said and since I joined the Union I have had 5 pay rises or accepted cash bonuses for agreements that that Union have negotiated, We've been able to afford a mortgage and a nice car.

PS...It was a nice cake ?

8 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Nowt for me, I was never technically gifted, Left school with little education(I could read and write)all manual work/driving, By the mid 90s I joined RR 22 years after a shed load of my mates, I moved up the Union ladder, I was big, Confident and knew how to use my mouth, Anyway, We were setting on a few workers, I was tasked with looking after them before their interviews, Giving them the lowdown and rights and wrongs at working at RR.

One lad had come from Ross Catherall Ceramics in Denby(Denby Pottery)Quiet lad but was enthusiastic and asking the right questions, After the interviews, I'm in a meeting with the 3 Managers who took the interviews and was asked how the interviewees behaved, Gave them my opinion and left.

1 Month later I'm approached by the lad from Denby who thanked me for the nice words I gave to the Managers, Only being honest fella, You must have had a good interview, My opinions were most likely the icing on the cake, He almost trebled his wage from Denby to RR.

6 months later he gave me a box, I opened it and there was a cake that his wife had baked for me, I want to thank you Alf for all you've done for me, Thanks I said but what have I done for you, Since being here he said and since I joined the Union I have had 5 pay rises or accepted cash bonuses for agreements that that Union have negotiated, We've been able to afford a mortgage and a nice car.

PS...It was a nice cake ?

Moral of the story is that you can have your cake and eat it. Probably me being thick but I've never understood that saying. 

Who would want a cake but then not eat it? ?‍♂️

Happened to me once

Worked somewhere where the area manager was dodgy as,you could tell he was. I resigned and got called to his office 35 miles away the next day. Offered an additional 4k, a promotion and a guaranteed bonus that year. Wicked. Took it,carried on.

Well,about 12 months later,the company was being franchised out and I could see we were all going to get moved/forced out of fired for some silly reason. So jump before you're pushed,I found a job on the same salary and resigned. Same area manager this time refused to acknowledge it,sent a national auditor to my store and tried to force me into work when on annual leave,in an attempt to dismiss me out of pride. Long story short,he hadn't planned on the auditor telling me this and us passing anyway. 

He paid me a month's salary as gardening leave,I've been at said new job for 9 years now earning 3 times the salary I was with them,and he did a stretch inside for fraud as all of us that left sang like canaries. Life's a bitch, eh rich!