Malcolm Christie

LazloW

12 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

He’s an integral part of one of my best memories. Beating Man United 1-0 at old Trafford, to secure out survival, on the day they were awarded the title trophy. 

And mine.  Was hilarious, my then girlfriend and now wife was at the toilet when Malc scored.  Never lived it down ?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

Really good podcast with Malcolm here.

Goes through his up bringing and how his move to Derby came about. Part 2 will be out next week.

I really enjoyed that. I kind of dismissed all the stories about rags to riches, shelf stacking to premier league stories at the time as I assumed it was mostly embellished. It's fascinating to hear just how awestruck Christie was. He's also a bit of a weirdo. Kind of relatable.

Edited by Anon

15 hours ago, Anon said:

I really enjoyed that. I kind of dismissed all the stories about rags to riches, shelf stacking to premier league stories at the time as I assumed it was mostly embellished. It's fascinating to hear just how awestruck Christie was. He's also a bit of a weirdo. Kind of relatable.

Really saw a different side to some folks from that interview! Especially Ravanelli - Christie spoke very highly of him and his work ethic - not what I'd assumed.

Nice kind of weirdo I'd say ?

7 hours ago, jameso said:

Really saw a different side to some folks from that interview! Especially Ravanelli - Christie spoke very highly of him and his work ethic - not what I'd assumed.

Nice kind of weirdo I'd say ?

He came into a struggling side, a bit long in the tooth and on huge wages. Then he took the club to court for his wages 12 month after he left so that took the shine off him.  Remember reading from another player that when he missed a couple of penalties that cost us 4 points against Chelsea and Liverpool he was distraught. Incredible that we still had that wage in the championship and that he wasn't getting goals every game.  As Rob Lee said when he left, with him Ravanelli, Kinkladze and Poom, Riggott and Christie etc for the first chunk they should have hammered everyone in sight for a few months.  Shows how a mindset can stick when you've had a season ending in relegation. 

21 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Shows how a mindset can stick when you've had a season ending in relegation. 

Definitely - and again in 2008! (although to be fair that season didn't only END in relegation - it was written on the wall pretty early on! ?)

The same could be said for last/this season, but for so many reasons there's a different dynamic this time around which hopefully continues.

On 12/09/2022 at 19:05, Heisenberg said:

Episode 2 has been released.

Interestingly mentions Boro tapping him up.  There's a reason they up upped there bid considerably when one of him and Riggott fessed up and Boro wanted the situation to remain in house as they knew they'd been naughty.  Shocking from the bastions of football who always play by the rules. 

Never really followed him after he left Derby, but to hear how his career ended was brutal.

Hammering wedges of wood into a cast? Sounds a bit dodgy, and then ignoring his complaints about pain....as Park said, surely he has grounds to take legal action against the club for the way they handled his injuries.