A salutary lesson for Rams from Oldham

FindernRam

Oldham were founder members of the Premiership and have suffered a remorseless slide into non league. Having flirted with liquidation, an owner the fans really dislike it, hero players coming back to try to save them, it is all over. It will be 30 years to the day after the start of the Prem that they start their non league adventure.

Could it happen to the Rams, of course it could. Just hope our new owner can halt the rot. 

13 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Oldham were founder members of the Premiership and have suffered a remorseless slide into non league. Having flirted with liquidation, an owner the fans really dislike it, hero players coming back to try to save them, it is all over. It will be 30 years to the day after the start of the Prem that they start their non league adventure.

Could it happen to the Rams, of course it could. Just hope our new owner can halt the rot. 

Yep, they have a dubious owner, looking to sell the club for more than it's worth..... and they don't own their stadium. Sound familiar ??

I will be happy if we just sort our poo out in L1.

There are some happy clappers on here who think we will go straight back up - that would be great obviously - but rather than desperately lunge at it it needs to be done in a sustainable fashion.

Create a model that can then be expanded for an eventual return to the Promised Land.

1 minute ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

There are some happy clappers on here who think we will go straight back up - that would be great obviously - but rather than desperately lunge at it it needs to be done in a sustainable fashion.

Create a model that can then be expanded for an eventual return to the Promised Land.

Not sure Ive seen anyone say we will go straight back up but I assume you are right?

10 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Why does thinking we'll go straight back up make someone a happy clapper? 

I'd be very surprised if we came straight back up, considering the amount of work that needs doing, but being optimistic doesn't make someone a happy clapper.

With due respect to Oldham, being a "founder member of the Premiership" (is that a thing?) don't mean owt. They're a third tier club for most of their history who just happened to secure their second promotion to the top flight in 100 years the same season the "big 5" forced the breakaway from the FL.

Sure, they're having a tough time to be in non-league and that's somewhat below their natural level but we're not really comparable as clubs, dodgy owners aside.

3 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

It would be great to go straight back up obviously, but still too many questions marks hanging - the ground, actual confirmation of sale, further points deduction (?).

Facetious comment alert .

Mike Ashley charges in to save us.

No let’s all back Chris Kirchner or we are finished.

Sick of hearing people say in the pubs  but I wanted Ashley.

Why !

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I'd be very surprised if we came straight back up, considering the amount of work that needs doing, but being optimistic doesn't make someone a happy clapper.

I work in an office full of Oxford Utd fans, and from what I gather we are going into a frying pan that includes broken glass. 

Also lets face it, two of the spots are probably pre-booked by Everton/Burnley/Norwich/Watford.

For me its two stage -

a. Stop the rot (not on the pitch but the back of house stuff) - clarity needed on where we stand

b. Rebuild - this could take a fair while. 

36 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I work in an office full of Oxford Utd fans, and from what I gather we are going into a frying pan that includes broken glass. 

Also lets face it, two of the spots are probably pre-booked by Everton/Burnley/Norwich/Watford.

For me its two stage -

a. Stop the rot (not on the pitch but the back of house stuff) - clarity needed on where we stand

b. Rebuild - this could take a fair while. 

But we won't be in the same division as Everton/Burnley/Norwich/Watford next season? So why is that a point?

Stopping the rot is called administration. Yes, we need to get out of that but to do that we need to prove that the rot has rotted, been cut out and removed.

Rebuild will certainly take a while, look at any of the clubs that have gone down in our state. All the way back to Burnley, Wolves (both of these two went all the way to the bottom), Forest, Sunderland, Charlton, Leeds. It's going to take a bit more than those over on Twitter who think we just need to resign Chris Martin and Shinnie, convince Curtis to stay and possibly sign back Marriott.

I'm not having a pop at you but making a general comment - it's just amazing that we are in the middle of what we (OK - Mel) did and still the answer is to go out and buy in a whole new squad for an instant push back.

16 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

But we won't be in the same division as Everton/Burnley/Norwich/Watford next season? So why is that a point?

'Well done Pike, I wondered who would be first to spot that'

army GIF

Maybe that shows I haven't' actually accepted the relegation myself!

My point is that its going to take a while - I'd like it to happen next season - but snatching at it without some foundations in place could be a disaster.

I will be happy eating my kit-kat in the gloom of the Kassam, watching a dull 0 - 0 knowing we are £1.19 in credit with the bank.

1 hour ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

It would be great to go straight back up obviously, but still too many questions marks hanging - the ground, actual confirmation of sale, further points deduction (?).

I think we will go straight back up - just like I think we will be promoted every year. 

I’m not going to start the season wishing for a mid-table finish. 

At the moment it could be that we are forced into a position where we do have to buy an entirely new squad... Obviously, we all hope that won't happen but it's a possibility and probably not much of a distant one. Given that we've only been in the third division for 5 seasons in our history it's not surprising that many of us are hoping for a quick bounce back. The fact it's not a typical relegation should also give us hope, if the spine of the squad can be kept, is it so unrealistic to hope for a quick return? 

7 hours ago, ossieram said:

This is true and by the same metric why does anyone with a pessimistic outlook make them a wrist slasher?

9 hours ago, Curtains said:

Facetious comment alert .

Mike Ashley charges in to save us.

No let’s all back Chris Kirchner or we are finished.

Sick of hearing people say in the pubs  but I wanted Ashley.

Why !

Because maybe because one has experience of running a football club and one .....doesnt?