Ryan Allsop - Signed for Cardiff City

Bubbles

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Allsop would be to replace Smithies who they’ve released.

Incidentally, Smithies was always a goalkeeper I remember being pretty highly rated a while back. Clearly gone sour for him at Cardiff and he’s lost his way a bit, but there’s definite ability in there to be unlocked. If our coaches could get him back on track, he could be a potentially excellent experienced replacement for Allsop for us.

I’d have thought at his stage in his career money will be a factor, it’s a long time retired for a footballer.

That said, I can’t imagine Cardiff will be offering huge sums and surely when you’re at the back end of your career it’s better to be in a side that has more potential to win games and keep clean sheets. 

26 minutes ago, Mckram said:

I’d have thought at his stage in his career money will be a factor, it’s a long time retired for a footballer.

That said, I can’t imagine Cardiff will be offering huge sums and surely when you’re at the back end of your career it’s better to be in a side that has more potential to win games and keep clean sheets. 

Who knows, it wouldn’t totally surprise me if Cardiff were pushing for a play off spot next season ?

44 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Agree money will factor into a lot of the player’s thinking, hopefully the team spirit Rooney has created keeps some of them at the club as they’re settled.

As a 29 year old keeper Allsop is far from at the end of his career, goalkeepers tend to play until their late 30s, normally lasting longer into their careers than outfield players. He’s got a good 6-9 years left provided he stays fit

11 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Agree money will factor into a lot of the player’s thinking, hopefully the team spirit Rooney has created keeps some of them at the club as they’re settled.

As a 29 year old keeper Allsop is far from at the end of his career, goalkeepers tend to play until their late 30s, normally lasting longer into their careers than outfield players. He’s got a good 6-9 years left provided he stays fit

To be fair I thought he was more like 32/33 and might be looking for that final decent 3 year contract.

Now I know he’s 29 I fear even more that he will leave. Most of his appearances have been league 1 so at that age he will be looking to push himself you’d have thought.