LG 1 appropriate transfer suggestions

BuckoBeast

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Regarding Jason Knight.

Flynn Downes was regarded as one of Ipswich’s promising youngsters. But with them being in League One, they were pretty much forced to sell him and got just £1.5m from Swansea as he was also going into his last year of his contract.

Anyone expecting Knight to go for big bucks is living in cloud cuckoo land (Roy Keane’s favorite phrase).

Nobody will be offering more than £3m for Knight. 

Downes isn’t a regular international, nor did he he have regular championship experience. I do think you’re right, we won’t get mega bucks.

On a side note, I’ve seen P’Boro are potentially selling their 19 yr old centre back Ronnie Edwards. Rumours of bids of up to 10 million. Another club who sells well. Big fees would still be possible, but we have history of selling players at low value. Either that or these players aren’t as good as we think.

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Regarding Jason Knight.

Flynn Downes was regarded as one of Ipswich’s promising youngsters. But with them being in League One, they were pretty much forced to sell him and got just £1.5m from Swansea as he was also going into his last year of his contract.

Anyone expecting Knight to go for big bucks is living in cloud cuckoo land (Roy Keane’s favorite phrase).

Nobody will be offering more than £3m for Knight. 

Not saying Knight is gonna go for £10m, but, Knight has more appearances than Downes did, whilst being in a higher league. He also hadn't been a regular international for the past year or so. 

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

In no way was I ever expecting us to sign Lewandowski, I was just highlighting that Kirchner’s tweet includes a suggested weekly wage of £8k per week which is more than the £4.5k per week we were limited to last year under embargo. There have been plenty of people suggesting that we won’t be able to put together a squad next season due to other clubs having more pulling power/no restrictions etc, I just wanted to point out that if we CAN pay wages of up to £8k per week then we might well be able to build an ok squad for next season.

In terms of the players we should be targeting my thoughts and suggestions have mainly been around established and capable league 1 players, potentially those in league 2 who did well last year and could make the step up, maybe one or two at Championship who could be convinced to drop down a league, the odd prem academy cast off (like Plange or Ebiowei before them), and a core of some of the existing squad convinced to stay on and at least to attempt to bounce back. The majority being on free transfers as plenty will be available and we are unlikely to have money for fees.

Nothing fantastical about that as an expectation is there? 

No mate.  Your reading that wrong.  Not a dig,  that is actually what I would do.  

30 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

A name I've not really seen banded around following his release from Cardiff is James Collins. Now his record at Cardiff isn't good, but his Luton record is brilliant, especially in lower leagues too.

Definitely the sort we need to target for sure. Knows the lower leagues, massively proven over the years. Bit of a rough streak in the lad, sign him up. 

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

No mate.  Your reading that wrong.  Not a dig,  that is actually what I would do.  

Clearly my coffee hadn’t kicked in and I was still cranky this morning ? Sorry @Gee SCREAMER !!.
I’m excited by the prospect of a flurry of modest, sensible signings and re-signings after the last few years of pain and misery.

Isn't there a squad salary cap in League 1 of £2.5M? That's £48K a week for the entire squad. Salient point is squad size is limited to 21 players excluding under 20s. That gives an average of £119K a year for the 21 senior players. A "mere" £2288 a week. 

18 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Isn't there a squad salary cap in League 1 of £2.5M? That's £48K a week for the entire squad. Salient point is squad size is limited to 21 players excluding under 20s. That gives an average of £119K a year for the 21 senior players. A "mere" £2288 a week. 

That was scrapped after some clubs (Sunderland I think) kicked off about it 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12213386/efl-salary-cap-for-league-one-and-league-two-withdrawn-following-arbitration-panel-verdict

22 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, it's absolutely daft, but I would love to be the owner of Sunderland and have to spend no more than £2.5m a year on wages. 

It would be the most profitable club in the football league by a mile! 

On 30/05/2022 at 17:16, VulcanRam said:

Thanks Angie, I don't see it anywhere in the transfer section on the Byrne page? Just the story from the Sun with some old quotes from Rooney which give the story legs....

Yes, sorry, got the wrong section. It's in the holiday thread!